Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics

Hi Dr MUDHAN sir,

Till today i thought the car cleaning is just pour the bucket of water over the car and clean with cotton cloths (may be my living surrounding like that). but really i am shocked today after saw this posts, these much of materials available for car care and how to use it.

it will help me more to keep my car clean and better. i will try anyone of these tip first. thanks for sharing your experience with us. your experiences is lesson for beginners like me.

Dear TAIGers,

I have a quick question. Is the Waxpol Orange tin Wax in anyway harmful for the new gen Clear Coated surface. Kindly reply with your experience using the product.

I found the Turtle Wax to be very soft and not as grainy as the Waxpol one.

Dear TAIGers,

In coming long weekend planning for my first ever detailing session.

Information about car: Honda City VMT Petrol - Carnelian Red Pearl

Existing Sealant : Waxoyl 100 plus, done 6 moths before on delivery day.

Following products I will be using.
1. ONR for washing
2. CarPro Polyshave Decontamination Towel for Clay
3. CarPro Trix for removal of Iron and Tar
4. Poorboys biodegradable APC for de-grease the paint
5. Poorboys Black Hole Glaze
6. Poorboys EX-P Sealant
7. Collinite 845 Wax

Following process I will be following, let me know your view on it.
1) Wash (ONR, 1 Litre water with 10 ml ONR, if car dirty 2 bucket method)
2) All-purpose cleaner to degrease the car (Poorboys biodegradable APC, 10:1)
3) Apply CarPro Trix on Car Paint and Alloy Wheel
4) Wait for 5 min for CarPro Trix to work
5) Agitate with sponge on paint and using brush on Alloy wheel
6) Claying the car paint (CarPro Clay with ONR as lubricant, 1 Litre water with 10 ml ONR)
7) Clean the Clayed Panel, just to remove any contamination on panel left behind (ONR, 1 Litre water with 5 ml ONR)
8) Claying alloy wheel (CarPro Clay with ONR as lubricant, 1 Litre water with 10 ml ONR)
9) Clean Alloy wheel, just to remove any contamination on panel left behind (ONR, 1 Litre water with 5 ml ONR)
10) Wash paint and alloy wheel (ONR, 1 Litre water with 5 ml ONR)
11) Glaze (Poorboys Black Hole)
12) Wait for 30-min for Glaze to haze then buff
13) Sealant (Poorboys EX-P)
14) Wait for 1 hrs for sealant to haze then buff
15) Wait for 24 hrs, apply seconds coat of Sealant (Poorboys EX-P)
16) Wait for 1 week
17) Wash with ONR
18) Wax (Collinite 845)

Thread Starter #64

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@srikany

No doubt, it is cheapest good wax but require a lot of elbow greasing. It would be good only when done under sun, otherwise will leave streaks that are hard to remove.

@ j4jigar

Great products and systematic steps that are thoroughly thought out.
We are anxious to see the pictures of your car here after the process.
All the very best .

I have completed my first detailing session [:D]
I have followed exact steps post in #63, except step #2 have done it after step #10.
I very satisfied with shine, depth and smoothness.
One thing I accidentally found is, after buffing sealant, If you use LED torch, you can easily find out missed spot in buffing.
I have used following torch
Cost Price 1 Set E17 Touch Cree XM L T6 2000 Lumen XML LED Light Zoomable Life Waterproof Flashlight , Free Shipping-in Flashlights & Torches from Lights & Lighting on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Enjoy the pics, please pardon photo quality and also my photography skills[;)]

Attachments

Hello guys,

Anyone using vertical car polisher here?

I'm thinking to buy one shortly because polishing + buffing and waxing + buffing is getting hard for me to do by hand and also outcome wouldn't be nice as machine polishing. Compared to normal car polisher (Skil 9080), Skil 9082 is lightweight, better grip and less powerful (means it should be stable on surface and easy to use) so I think it would be better choice.

However, vertical car polishers are rare so I'm unable to find user reviews.

As of Skil 9080, its heavy and the design doesn't look easy to handle for me, especially on vertical surfaces.

I have no experiences with car polishers so seeking advice for someone having knowledge on the same. Also suggestions on other models are welcome.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #67

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
MAKE ALLOYS ALWAYS ALRIGHT!

ANHC ALBUS.jpg

How do you feel when you look at a well-dressed man but with dirty shoes?

This want happens to some of us, we never take care of our car wheels as we take care to its body!

A simple and periodical care of those wheels make the car complete to reflect the right impression!

Step by Step procedures:

Daily / Weekly Maintenance:

If your wheels are otherwise good, not driven over muddy road, don’t forget to clean and dust out every day by a short microfiber brush, gently inside and outside the spokes, after gentle taps of the brush in between to remove the dust inside MF bristles.

After above procedure, once in three days or a week clean the wheel spokes by spraying (Avoid spraying into drums) ONR solutions like PROKLEAR™ RAW and wipe it by water absorbent MF cloth dedicated exclusively for wheel side works.

Special Maintenance:

Requires removal of wheels’ worst enemy Brake Dust and - cleaning, polishing of alloy wheels & tyre dressing periodically.

1. Rinse wheels to remove loose dirt and Brake dust. Use a Fire Hose Nozzle to deliver a strong stream of water, allow water to drop.
2. Spray a good all-purpose Wheel Cleaners meant for removing- Brake dust which is made of an adhesive and carbon fibers that come off the brake pad and tiny metal shavings from the rotor that are highly corrosive. Within a few minutes, the cleaning solution turns purple red that indicates that the brake dust, oily film, and dirt are being loosened. Don’t allow them to dry. Move the car little forward or backward to spray again to cover the drum area in full.
3. Use a soft bristled wheel brush to clean wheels without scratching, if need be.
4. Rinse the wheel and wheel well, including the lug nut holes and between the spokes.
5. Finish off your car washing and wiping.
6. Dry alloy wheels with a microfiber towel.
7. Dress alloy wheels - Waxing and polishing
We have different alloy finish types – Aluminum, Chrome, Painted or coated & anodized wheels. While some wheels need polish, others require wax. Aluminum , Chrome requires specific polish, painted or coated wheels requires wax and polishing is not necessary for anodized wheels as a thin coat of petroleum jelly would do.
8. Tire dressing – the finishing touch

OVER

What I do for my car 'ALBUS' ALLOYS!​

ANHC 1.jpg

ANHC 2.jpg

ANHC 3.jpg

ANHC 4.jpg

ANHC 5.jpg

I keep Auto Finesse Iron Out, ONR/ PROKLEAR RAW SPRAY bottle, MF Brush and cloth.

After wiping and drying I clean the spokes with Amway Glaze, clean and remove it and then spray PROKLEAR™ RAW (Xtreme) Rinseless / Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate , allow it to dry & wipe it with to complete the process.

My preference is Formula 1 Black Gold Tire Shine for tyre dressing.

Honorable mention about best Wheel Cleaners - SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect, Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner, CarPro Iron-X, Dodo Juice Ferrous Dueller & Auto Finesse Iron Out.

They , safely and effectively eliminates the most stubborn dirt such as brake dust, oil and rubber residue. Color-change foam lets you know it's working! Also acid-free, non-corrosive formula is safe on all types of painted, alloy, anodized, clear coated, chrome, aluminum and stainless steel wheels.

Note:

Removing the wheels and cleaning the inner sides and use a medium grade detailing clay bar to remove embedded brake dust from alloy wheels is also good practice if you have time, energy and patience. [lol]

Last edited:
@Dr MUDHAN sir, as per my understanding glaze is for filling minor swirl marks and scratches, then we need to apply paint sealant for paint protection, if my understanding is correct then how come Klasse sealant glaze comes into the category of paint sealants. if it is sealant then what is the difference between standalone glaze like poorboys black hole and Klasse sealant glaze.

@Suryaputhra

Here are the steps I follow:

Step 1 Washing
Step 2 Surface Prep (i.e Clay)
Step 3 Polishing (Skipped if cleaner wax is used)
Step 4 Protecting (Either car wax or paint sealant)
Step 5 Maintaining

These steps come under "The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle" and I do it every year for my car. In every 2 months or depending upon LSP (Last Step Product) durability, I just apply a layer of wax. In every 6 months, I use cleaner wax or polish if applying pure wax. Clay is used only once a year.

Coming to your query, Klasse sealant glaze can be a considered as LSP (Last Step Product) and that is why its said to protect up to 12 months. That means you don't have to top off with wax. It has scratch filling abilities as well as paint sealant or wax so it can be called as AIO product.

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze is just a scratch filler and doesn't protect the paint so you need to top off with some wax or paint sealant.

Now you may ask, why am I saying wax or paint sealant but not both. To know more about that, head over to thread made by Mike Phillips (One of car detailing expert) in Meguiars forum here.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #71

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Suryaputhra

Since I make use of KLASSE products (I imported three years before as it was not available in India and other detailing products like now - refer here my experience…) , I add my opinion along with CRACING here.

20160213_074712.jpg

20160213_074735.jpg

KLASSE – there are two products, one is an AIO Polisher, Filler and Glazer. The other one is primarily a sealant which adds a glaze over and above by its acrylic coat.

As indicated by CRACING the 5 steps complete the cycle. There will not be any confusion in the first two steps. The other three steps, we have to be little clear.

Step 3 Polishing

involves preparing the paint surface as new as possible. The paint surface should be made smooth, clear and vibrant before we seal it with a sealant. Depends upon the age and condition of the paint, we can use non / mild abrasives, fillers and finally to make it glaze. Here come many commercial products like Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze as formulated exclusively for dark colored vehicles. The glaze cleans and fills light swirl marks to leave a brilliant, glossy, slick show car shine. But, should be used before applying our favorite wax or sealant.

I use Poorboy's World White Diamond Show Glaze for my ALBUS.

(Some prefer to use AIO products like KLASSE AIO, Auto Finesse Tripple All in One Wax & the cheap and best AMWAY Glaze.)

(Some use one extra step by using All-purpose cleaner to degrease after claying and before glazing)

Step 4 Protecting –

Now, your hard work need to be protected, to be kept as long as possible for, by simple future maintenance. Therefore, you need to be applying a clear coat by way of a sealant. Products like KLASSE Sealant Glaze creates like a plastic acrylic layer and preserve the efforts. The layer will not get affected by our regular washing / shampooing of car.

(Some use only sealant & some use only wax as LSP. But, I prefer to use sealant first and then a top up by a good wax for our Indian condition)

(Note: GYEON Q2 PRIME KIT is a sealent just like Klasse sealant glaze, Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer, Poorboys EX-P Sealant. A synthetic one as against conventional Carnauba-based products. May be a little better one due to their innovative technology what they claim. But very expensive and we have not tried. But remember every manufacture claim that theirs is the best. [glasses]

Step 5 Maintaining -

Here you maintain what I call preservation of your hard work for a longer duration, needs an extra coat over the sealant that is WAXING (like Collinite 845) which will give a glossy wet look and preserve the same from day to day atmospheric irritants.

Periodical waxing if need be after some shampoo washes will preserve the gloss. We must avoid washing of the car daily; keeping the car under hot sun otherwise it needs more repetition. Always use MF cloth, JOPASU DUSTER and spray like PROKLEAR™ RAW (Xtreme) Rinseless / Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate towards maintaining all your hard work.

READ MORE HERE:

MUST HAVES FOR A REGULAR CAR MAINTENANCE:

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Mudhan,
Good Morning!

I have been ardently following this thread, as well as your other threads on your NHC, simply superb.

So painstakingly and honestly you reply to most of the queries, which is appreciable.

All the best.

Vinod

@Suryaputhra

Since I make use of KLASSE products (I imported three years before as it was not available in India and other detailing products like now - refer here my experience…) , I add my opinion along with CRACING here.

KLASSE – there are two products, one is an AIO Polisher, Filler and Glazer. The other one is primarily a sealant which adds a glaze over and above by its acrylic coat.

As indicated by CRACING the 5 steps complete the cycle. There will not be any confusion in the first two steps. The other three steps, we have to be little clear.

Step 3 Polishing

involves preparing the paint surface as new as possible. The paint surface should be made smooth, clear and vibrant before we seal it with a sealant. Depends upon the age and condition of the paint, we can use non / mild abrasives, fillers and finally to make it glaze. Here come many commercial products like Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze as formulated exclusively for dark colored vehicles. The glaze cleans and fills light swirl marks to leave a brilliant, glossy, slick show car shine. But, should be used before applying our favorite wax or sealant.

I use Poorboy's World White Diamond Show Glaze for my ALBUS.

(Some prefer to use AIO products like KLASSE AIO, Auto Finesse Tripple All in One Wax & the cheap and best AMWAY Glaze.)

(Some use one extra step by using All-purpose cleaner to degrease after claying and before glazing)

Step 4 Protecting –

Now, your hard work need to be protected, to be kept as long as possible for, by simple future maintenance. Therefore, you need to be applying a clear coat by way of a sealant. Products like KLASSE Sealant Glaze creates like a plastic acrylic layer and preserve the efforts. The layer will not get affected by our regular washing / shampooing of car.

(Some use only sealant & some use only wax as LSP. But, I prefer to use sealant first and then a top up by a good wax for our Indian condition)

(Note: GYEON Q2 PRIME KIT is a sealent just like Klasse sealant glaze, Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer, Poorboys EX-P Sealant. A synthetic one as against conventional Carnauba-based products. May be a little better one due to their innovative technology what they claim. But very expensive and we have not tried. But remember every manufacture claim that theirs is the best. [glasses]

Step 5 Maintaining -

Here you maintain what I call preservation of your hard work for a longer duration, needs an extra coat over the sealant that is WAXING (like Collinite 845) which will give a glossy wet look and preserve the same from day to day atmospheric irritants.

Periodical waxing if need be after some shampoo washes will preserve the gloss. We must avoid washing of the car daily; keeping the car under hot sun otherwise it needs more repetition. Always use MF cloth, JOPASU DUSTER and spray like PROKLEAR™ RAW (Xtreme) Rinseless / Waterless Auto Wash Concentrate towards maintaining all your hard work.

READ MORE HERE:

MUST HAVES FOR A REGULAR CAR MAINTENANCE:

HOW DO I MAKE MY WHITE CAR SHINE?
Finally I decided to buy KLASSE products, they are available in Bangalore. Is there any risk of getting tampered or adulterated product because there is no cap seal or inside company tamper proof seal.

-suryaputhra

Last edited:
Thread Starter #74

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ Nanofreak​
Thank you Mr.Vinod for your kind words and it inspires me to share more.

@ Suryaputhra

I don’t think so for such risk. However, my sincere advice to you, go for these combination:

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze + Poorboys EX-P Sealant (OR)

Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze + KLASSE Sealant Glaze

Avoid KLASSE AIO as I am not really happy about the performance.

Doctor sir,

What is this "ONR for washing" which shampoo is it, otherwise pls advice me good shampoo, I want to buy today and put my hands on my car tomorrow.

suryaputhra

Last edited:

Top Bottom