Exclusive! Interview With Ex.Mafia Gangster – Louis Ferrante.

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team

It’s not often when we interview personalities who belong from outside the automotive industry. The person we’re interviewing today even though is an automobile enthusiast by heart but he comes from an entirely different background – The mafia. Meet Louis Ferrante. Born in Italy and brought up in USA, he is a well-known ex. gangster who was an associate of the infamous Gambino crime family in New York. In his teens, Louis began heading his own gang to perform a number of organized crimes such as robberies, loan sharking, racketeering and truck hijacking to name a few. Ferrante was accused of being a mastermind in some of the largest heists in the history of United States of America.

Eventually he was indicted by the FBI, U.S Secret Service, Nassau Country Organized Task Force in 1994 and ended up spending 8.5 Years behind the bars. This period proved to be a major turning point in Ferrate’s life. After parole, he found his life changed forever after self-realization just by reading books in prison. Fast forward a decade; he is not associated with crime anymore. In fact, Louis is now one of the best-selling book authors, a business speaker as well as a TV host. Presently, he is anchoring ‘Inside the Gangster’s Code’ on Discovery Channel to unravel lives of gangsters in some of the wildest prisons across the globe and motivates them to run out from the dangerous world of crime. Lou has a couple of interesting books to his credit: Unlocked and Mob Rules. He was also recognized by Sarah Brown in 2009 as a ‘Reading Hero’ at Downing Street, UK.

The Automotive India speaks with Louis Ferrante to find out about the splendid journey of his life from a notorious gangster to a noble individual.

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team

> Hi Lou. Tell us something about yourself. What exactly brought such a significant change in your personality?
While I was in prison, I had plenty of time to rethink my life, and I began to regret the things I'd done. I was also determined to change my life and felt that the way to do that was through education, particularly reading.
> How do you feel to acquire a worldwide reputation of a noble individual opposed to a notorious gangster?
It feels much better this way than the other way.
> The books have been crucial in transforming your life. So what books you read in prison? What’s your favorite read so far?
I read books about every subject and I continue to read a lot. My favorite novel is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. And as for autobiographies, I enjoyed Nelson Mandela's as well as Gandhi's, and when I was in South Africa; I visited a prison in Johannesburg where both of them had been captive.
> Lately I read your book ‘Mob Rules’ and it left me impressed. When can we expect more such interesting write ups? Are you working on any books as we speak?
I hope to be writing more books in the near future. However, I had spent the better part of this past year filming my television show, Inside the Gangsters' Code.
> We're curious, how difficult it was to totally cut-off from the mafia world? Did they ever insist you join the gang once you were free from prison?
Because I never snitched on anyone, and I served nearly a decade in prison, the Mafia still has respect for me. When I came home from prison they made it clear to me that I was welcome back but that they would also respect my wishes if I chose not to return.
> I recall an incident when you went to California to steal an armored car but FBI didn't let it happen. Would you like to elaborate on this specific incident?
I described it very well in my memoir, Unlocked: the Life and Crimes of a Mafia Inside (in the United States), and Tough Guy: the Life and Crimes of a Mafia Insider (in the U.K.). I recommend the book to all of your readers.

> Talking about cars, what’s their importance in mafia? Are there any specific car models which are preferred to perform the crimes?
Back then, most of us tended to buy black cars. As for cars used in crimes, we would usually steal them, so any color was fine as long as the car was fast.
> What kind cars are prone to theft and what is the major factor that accounts for stealing them?
Any car can be stolen. It all depends on what we felt like taking but the cars that are stolen most often in New York are needed for the repairs of other cars.
> Since when does your liking toward automobiles originate from? What was the first car that you owned?
I used to drive stolen cars as a kid but before I went to prison, I owned a Mercedes, a Cadillac, a Lincoln, a Jeep, and a Corvette.
> Which vehicles occupy the space of your garage right now? Just like any other petrol head, do you have a ‘dream car’ too?
When I was first released from prison, I drove a Jaguar convertible but I no longer have it. My life is hectic now and I travel a lot so for the moment, I don't get to enjoy the open road. When I have more time to myself, I'd like to buy a fast, stick shift, maybe like a Corvette.
> What are your views about the Indian automobile industry? Is there any particular Indian made car that you prefer or would like to own?
Unfortunately, I don't know much about it. But if I drove one and liked it, I'd be happy to endorse it.
> You said you travel a lot, out of all those places, which road you find to be the most exciting to drive?
I've been on the Autobahn and just knowing that there's no speed limit is exhilarating.
> If you get an opportunity to go back to the past to change something in your life then what would it be?
It's a tough question. My initial reaction is that I would change my earlier life but on the other hand, I wouldn't have learned all that I have, and I wouldn't be able to help as many people as I do if I hadn't lived that life. So, it's a question that leaves me in conflict.
> Please share a message for our readers who wish to transform their lives just as you did.
Don't talk about it and don't think too much about it - just do it.
> Thanks Lou. You’re truly a source of great inspiration for all. Good luck from entire team of The Automotive India for a successful future.
Thank you, Vibhor.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Louis Ferrante Introduction (Mob Rules)
Louis Ferrante - Mob Rules - YouTube

Inside the Gangster's Code Trailer
Inside The Gangster's Code - Discovery Channel - YouTube

Louis' Speech To The Economist (Human Potential Summit)
Louis Ferrante: LESSONS FROM THE MAFIA - YouTube

The day when Louis Ferrante was officially busted.

A capture of one of his several days in prison.

After transformation: At prison in El Salvador during the shoot of ‘Inside the Gangster’s Code’.

Those who used to chase him are now his good friends. An image with a senior cop at El Salvador.

What a nice review, he is definitely the character who should be praised of in life.
I'm so waiting to read his books and i shall do that very soon.

And one thing which i liked in the World of Mafia is where you respect each other and this line is very inspiring, because the mafia knows that they are wrong which hurts them always in their heart.
We're curious, how difficult it was to totally cut-off from the mafia world? Did they ever insist you join the gang once you were free from prison?
Quote:
Because I never snitched on anyone, and I served nearly a decade in prison, the Mafia still has respect for me. When I came home from prison they made it clear to me that I was welcome back but that they would also respect my wishes if I chose not to return.
It's a nice and unique topic Vibhor, we got to interview more people like this. [:)]

This thread took me by surprise, well inside the gangster's code series is[:D] already in my torrents downloading list

An interesting journey of transformation and reform and a very different article at TAI.
Kudos Vibhor for this and wish Lou a great journey ahead!

It requires great energy to go up either way. To be good or to be bad. Dreaded criminals often have the guts to transform themselves into saints. Its all about how someone uses/transform his energy.
Once i attended a meditation camp where one criminal on parole(sentenced for murder) was there with me for 11 days. In the beginning he looked like a guy with attitude which he left behind by the end of the course.

Very good thread Vibhor, [clap] as this also happens one of my favourite subjects. I have studied Mafia a lot, Sicilian, the Ndrangheta, Irish, Russian mob & the drug cartels of Mexico. When you talked about Gambino crime family, you should have asked him about John Gotti & Sammy The Bull (Gravano). The 5 NYC families, Gambino, Lucesse, Bonano Genovese & Colombo inter-relations should also have been asked about. There is fantastic movie which I have on Gambino family, called 'Witness to the Mob'. Its awesome & must watch. I have lot of details about this on my home PC. Will put them here soon.

BTW, where did you meet him ?

Wow....!!!!!!
I think everyone would be interested to know about mafia. Add me too in that list.
Thanks for sending a PM about this thread.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
What a nice review, he is definitely the character who should be praised of in life.
It's a nice and unique topic Vibhor, we got to interview more people like this.
This thread took me by surprise, well inside the gangster's code series is already in my torrents downloading list
An interesting journey of transformation and reform and a very different article at TAI.Kudos Vibhor for this and wish Lou a great journey ahead!
Thanks all. It’s indeed a unique topic for an automobile community like ours and Louis sure is a person to learn from.

Very good thread Vibhor, as this also happens one of my favourite subjects. I have studied Mafia a lot, Sicilian, the Ndrangheta, Irish, Russian mob & the drug cartels of Mexico.
Good to find someone on our forum who also shares similar interest apart from automobiles. :smile:

When you talked about Gambino crime family, you should have asked him about John Gotti & Sammy The Bull (Gravano).
John Gotti was heading the Gambino during Ferrante’s times. Sammy was tagged as a rat since he became government’s witness and I think he’s still alive, living under witness protection program. There’s an interesting documentary of him on You Tube. I’m attaching it below.

The 5 NYC families, Gambino, Lucesse, Bonano Genovese & Colombo inter-relations should also have been asked about.
Primarily Lou was an associate of Gambino crime family. He sometimes also used to work for others though.

There is fantastic movie which I have on Gambino family, called 'Witness to the Mob'. Its awesome & must watch. I have lot of details about this on my home PC. Will put them here soon.
Sure. I look forward to check them out soon.

BTW, where did you meet him ?
This interview was conducted online. I’m in touch with him for a while now and hoping to meet him if he comes to India.

Sammy "The Bull" Gravano Documentary - NationalCrimeSyndicate.com - YouTube

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom