Exclusive: Ford Ecosport Test Drive Review in Brazil

Re: EXCLUSIVE: EcoSport Finally tested in Brasil (Report + Pics)

Hi Indian - Yes the vehicle will surely be not the best in class for space. I am surprised on what segment will FORD target with the ES in India?

Will it be the proper SUVs - Storme, safari old, scorpio, xuv, etc - It is surely not going to do that

Will it target small / Mini SUVs - Duster, Quanto - I think it can make dents to Quanto because it is not good looking but denting the fantastic run of the duster sales - I have serious doubts?

Will it target premium hatches with its Petrol engine - I think this is the only segment it can fit in + some start up sedans like DZIRE, Amaze, Manza, Verito

I am 5.10 (2 cms less) and yes the front seats are good not the best and back seats are not very comfortable. i thought it is a Bench like the quanto and teh back support is more up-right than needed
I think you are spot on when you say "It will target premium hatch". Its kind of disappointing too, when you see they designed the new platform, and gave SUV like look, why not make it bit more spacious? Could't they provide the back seats with movable tracks? So that space could have been affectingly managed on need basis. Definitely ES stand above DZIRE, Amaze, Manza, Verito, but major drawback being the back seat space.
Following pics you posted tell the whole sad story [frustration]

Attachments

Thread Starter #17

Nice review and pics mate. The old gen model also looks good. they can launch the same as EcoSport Classic. Nice effort mate.

This is first review for ecosport on internet in India.
Thanks Dharmesh

Yes i too like the OL GEN ES design more.. Maybe my age has something to do with it [;)]

Thread Starter #18

I think you are spot on when you say "It will target premium hatch". Its kind of disappointing too, when you see they designed the new platform, and gave SUV like look, why not make it bit more spacious? Could't they provide the back seats with movable tracks? So that space could have been affectingly managed on need basis. Definitely ES stand above DZIRE, Amaze, Manza, Verito, but major drawback being the back seat space.
Following pics you posted tell the whole sad story [frustration]
Hi Indian - Yes the story is sad as far as space is concerned in the Brasil variant ES, but as i said in my review, the CHINA ES released few weeks back has a longer wheelbase so i am presuming and hoping that Local FORD designers in India should have studied the India Family pattern and should do some localisation in the India ES Spec

As far as Brasil is concerned 60% people dont get married till late in Life, so Kids and In-Laws, extended families, Grand parents, etc is not much of a concern there which means Back Bench is mostly occupied by 1 Kid or maximum 1-2 Dogs [frustration]

Which brings me to the Point that if FORD local designers are not doing this localisation for India then FORD is a missing a very basic and IMP point of Autommotive Engineering!!

But yes again i say - this is not an SUV and People who have cancelled their bookings for the Duster, Ertiga, XUV, Scorpio, Storme, waiting for ES launch will again re-book these SUVs / MUVs IMO [cry]

Wow! This is really a brilliant write up Ankx! I have been following the developments around the Ford ES since it's showcase at the Delhi AutoExpo 2012.
Couple of things that I came to my mind as I went through your report and the pics:-
1. The rear-bench does look a bit cramped for it to be in the sedan/SUV category. Ertiga, Duster score heavily on that front.
2. The hexagonal grille design is the new 'identity-badge' for all Ford cars, globally. The facelifted Ford Figo also sports that. It gives the car an aggressive look, though I do understand why some people would prefer the old-gen grille on the ES.
3. I think one big reason why the interiors would appear slightly more claustrophobic would be because of the all black interiors- from the seats to the dashboard and plastics. It reminded me of the new Swift.
4. Pricing has to be spot-on here. It's going to be 1L EcoBoost engine and I think the target would be the urban office commuting young folks. It doesn't appear to be a family SUV like the Ertiga. It seems to be designed more to cater the aspirational needs of a growing working class segment. If they price it in the 6-8L bracket, it can and may well cut into the sales of some of the premium hatchbacks (Swift, Polo, i20 etc.) I for one would have queued up for this [:)]

Even though Ecosport looks absolutely stunning(Fortuner of compact SUVs:D),but I can clearly see that the interiors are very cramped(especially the rear with low seats and high window line).But anyway since this vehicle will be owned mostly by urban folks,who cares about space,hot looks and compact size will do :-)

Thread Starter #22

Wow! This is really a brilliant write up Ankx! I have been following the developments around the Ford ES since it's showcase at the Delhi AutoExpo 2012.
Couple of things that I came to my mind as I went through your report and the pics:-
1. The rear-bench does look a bit cramped for it to be in the sedan/SUV category. Ertiga, Duster score heavily on that front.
2. The hexagonal grille design is the new 'identity-badge' for all Ford cars, globally. The facelifted Ford Figo also sports that. It gives the car an aggressive look, though I do understand why some people would prefer the old-gen grille on the ES.
3. I think one big reason why the interiors would appear slightly more claustrophobic would be because of the all black interiors- from the seats to the dashboard and plastics. It reminded me of the new Swift.
4. Pricing has to be spot-on here. It's going to be 1L EcoBoost engine and I think the target would be the urban office commuting young folks. It doesn't appear to be a family SUV like the Ertiga. It seems to be designed more to cater the aspirational needs of a growing working class segment. If they price it in the 6-8L bracket, it can and may well cut into the sales of some of the premium hatchbacks (Swift, Polo, i20 etc.) I for one would have queued up for this [:)]
Hi Solo

I could not agree with your Points More - you are SPOT ON [:)]

And once again i may quote here that the ES is not a full grown SUV.. It is actually a wannabe SUV or A Big Hatch with SUV design and look

Also i think your point 4 of the target mkt segment is completely True and tats the reason Pricing has to be SPOT ON [roll]

Thread Starter #23

Even though Ecosport looks absolutely stunning(Fortuner of compact SUVs:D),but I can clearly see that the interiors are very cramped(especially the rear with low seats and high window line).But anyway since this vehicle will be owned mostly by urban folks,who cares about space,hot looks and compact size will do :-)
Agree XOVER

The target mkt will be mostly Urban users and hence in my report also i have quoted that ES is an Urban SUV [:)]

Thread Starter #24

Hi MSN - Thanks for sharing this with us!!

Have read through these Links and I think we should not make much out of this [:)]

Just like nowdays in India we have so many Automotive Media and Car of the Year awards awarded by all of them and so many categories in that as well, so likewise in Brasil you will see N # of Auto Blogs and Portals claiming their own AWARDS & REWARDS

Last edited by a moderator:

@Ankx
Sir can you please confirm if the rear space is atleast like i20 or jazz thanx in advance

Thread Starter #26

@Ankx
Sir can you please confirm if the rear space is atleast like i20 or jazz thanx in advance
Hi Raja

I drive a Tata Indica in India for the last 6 years and me and my family are spoilt for space [:D]

So back in India whenver there has been a discussion within the family about a upgrade or 2nd Car, the 1st constraint put by Family is that:

It needs to have huge space (Atleast like the Indica/Indigo or more) [confused]

Now I have driven the JAZZ and CITY extensively in India & felt that the dimensions do not do justice to the JAZZ, because from inside it has a very well spaced out cabin and interiors. which means the space management in JAZZ is excellent.. which also means that the FEELING of space in JAZZ is much better than most of the Hatches in India

Coming to the I20, i have bever driven it or sat in it for a long time, but yes the space in the ES is definitely better than the I20 and also mind you, the seats in ES are higher due to higher GC so you feel much more better inside the ES cabin (front & rear)

So yes the ES from inside is definitely better than I20 in India & comparable to JAZZ

But yes it definitely does not offer any typical SUV-ish seating & comfort

(Again my observations are based on the test drive, the ES dimensions may prove me wrong)

Hi Raja

I drive a Tata Indica in India for the last 6 years and me and my family are spoilt for space [:D]

So back in India whenver there has been a discussion within the family about a upgrade or 2nd Car, the 1st constraint put by Family is that:

It needs to have huge space (Atleast like the Indica/Indigo or more) [confused]

Now I have driven the JAZZ and CITY extensively in India & felt that the dimensions do not do justice to the JAZZ, because from inside it has a very well spaced out cabin and interiors. which means the space management in JAZZ is excellent.. which also means that the FEELING of space in JAZZ is much better than most of the Hatches in India

Coming to the I20, i have bever driven it or sat in it for a long time, but yes the space in the ES is definitely better than the I20 and also mind you, the seats in ES are higher due to higher GC so you feel much more better inside the ES cabin (front & rear)

So yes the ES from inside is definitely better than I20 in India & comparable to JAZZ

(Again my observations are based on the test drive, the ES dimensions may prove me wrong)
Hey thanx for the reply and you explained it in nice detail thanx once again in million .

You are right now anybody who is thinking the ES will be having space like safari , Scorpio , xylo or even quanto will be disappointed .

ES is a actually a hatch back with SUV styling and IMHO if it provides space like jaaz and i20 then atleast for me its fine .

But if space is like say swift then it's a big disappointment , because jaaz and i20 have clearly good amount of space compared to a swift .

You are a lucky guy soon you might witness the chevorlet trax there in brazil , hope we get a report on that too .[;)]

Once superb effort from you thanx again .

Hey thanx for the reply and you explained it in nice detail thanx once again in million .

You are right now anybody who is thinking the ES will be having space like safari , Scorpio , xylo or even quanto will be disappointed .

ES is a actually a hatch back with SUV styling and IMHO if it provides space like jaaz and i20 then atleast for me its fine .

But if space is like say swift then it's a big disappointment , because jaaz and i20 have clearly good amount of space compared to a swift .

You are a lucky guy soon you might witness the chevorlet trax there in brazil , hope we get a report on that too .[;)]

ES is Hatchback with higher GC. So any body wanting a a 5 seater but not sedan, can also try ES. [clap]. People who will expect the SUV kind space inside will come back dis appointed. [sleep]

That's really comforting to me, As long as space of Jazz is provided by ES nothing you can blame about this 'Compact' UV. There is lot of advantage ES being short in length, price-wise and city driving wise. So its a give and take and I will be satisfied.

ES is Hatchback with higher GC. So any body wanting a a 5 seater but not sedan, can also try ES. [clap]. People who will expect the SUV kind space inside will come back dis appointed. [sleep]
That's exactly what I am looking for. Actually I have a eye on Fiesta, but better GC and the shorter length I want. Hope I will not be disappointed when I actually see the ES.

Thread Starter #30

[:)]

Hi Raja

Sure, just let me know if you want me to test drive any specific car here in Brasil & will try to do it as soon as i get some time off work

ES test drive was already on my personal cards + it is going to be launched in India made it special [:)]

Top Bottom