Exclusive! First Look at Chevrolet Enjoy (Launch Coverage: Pg.8)

Re: Wuling (Chinese!) MPVs on their Way to India

Hope it wont be like china mobiles has everything but does nothing[lol]
And hope that while driving, the situation doesn't arise where someone over-takes you & informs - "Bhaisahab, gaadi ka engine peeche gir gaya ".[lol]

And hope that while driving, the situation doesn't arise where someone over-takes you & informs - "Bhaisahab, gaadi ka engine peeche gir gaya ".[lol]
he he well said S Class,but some sort of relief as it is launching under Chevrolet brand[clap]

I was in China for couple of months and saw there is a copy of every phone model whether it's Nokia or Apple. The shopkeeper also used to admit that this is a copy model.Many of our colleagues bought several stuffs but those didn't last even for a quarter. Thats why the cheap stuffs are labeled as chinese maal. No offence.

There was a joke about Chinese durability.

One guy was attending the mourning of his friend's wife death who was supposed to Chinese. Friend said to the widower, bhai why are you sad? Chinese maal tha aur kitne din taq chalta.

Mods pardon me if it's a crude joke.

Last edited:

Looks like having front facing 3rd row
[lol] & [angry]
Why ? Front facing & jump seats.
Seems members here now require sleeper coaches.[;)]

@ surfer,
Pls don't take this personally. For every UV, this stuff is coming up, hence the comment.
And those unhappy can surely have Nilkamal chairs. LoL. I liked that Nilkamal thing !! :D

If GM tries to do use the metal, build quality like they did for Tavera then this may not work. More so if the Chinese parts are skimmed on quality to reduce pricing then it does not make sense - GM may as well lose their reputation by launching sub-standard products.

First look at Chevrolet Enjoy MUV

Hola Folks,

It was day before yesterday, when I stepped out of my office I saw a pan chewing man standing next to my Scorpio as if he owns it. On seeing my inching closer to my car, the man understood he better move aside. I initially thought of him to be some random guy but he turned out to be one from a market study company. Asked me if I would be interested in reviewing a new car and that they are looking for Mahindra, Dezire, Beat, Vista and a few other make’s owners. The opportunity felt like godsent. I had never been to one before, never been invited and never had the courage to gate crash one [lol].

So, the next five minutes spent in travelling from my office in Okhla to NSIC where this clandestine market review was being taken place. I entered and was greeted by a handlebar moustache wearing tout security guard. My cellular phone taken away, no prize for guessing as to why that was done.

I finally entered, and a lady executive from the company was introduced to me and that she would be asking a few questions to fill up a HUGE questionnaire, it seriously reminded me of my GRE days; MCQ’s, essays etc. That lady took half of the time reading out the questions and didn’t know what she was asking. She didn’t seem to be a rookie, she seemed to be oblivious to the fact that there is person sitting next to her, waiting for her to read out questions, fill them up, and finally review the car. Lost my patience, asked her to sit tight, and let me read and fill it out. Done in fifteen minutes. And finally over to the hall which had five shining UVs parked for comparison.

Starting from the first, the Ertiga; threads are going on, no need to discuss more on this cute little UV. Second is the Xylo; what has Mahindra done to it is commendable, the SUV looks beautiful from inside, those thick and cushiony seats and arm rest, good quality of leather(eatte) what ever that is, and the color combination inside appeals to the general public. Outside, the hood still looks hedious albeit a little less than before. Wheels were beautiful, and the whole look and impression of the car seemed plush, and comfortable. Need to test drive one since this is where Mahindras lack.

Further next, our new kid on the block; The Chevy Enjoy. All emblems and markings were masked on all the cars. Anyone could have guessed the Ertiga, Xylo and the two others but recognizing the Enjoy was not easy. Few said its Japanese, and few Korean. I knew it was the Chevy Enjoy, and said so. The executives working there didn’t know much.

Coming on to Enjoy. Folks, don’t have high hopes with this latest dump in our nation. The car looks, BOXY, more like an old school milkvan. From the front, the headlight cluster, grill and fog lights look nice, but that is it. It seems to be made using a ruler, and a protractor. It is angular in shape.

Moving along side the length of the car, the doors are big, glass area is big hence view from inside is enhanced. The ORVM’s are small and feel cheap, more like aftermarket ones. The rear door is pull type and goes all the way up. But, you have to stoop down to load your luggage. I felt the loading bay should be at an optimum height so one doesn’t have to stoop down. The front bumpers look good, but the rear bumper doesn’t look like a bumper. It’s thin, and If you believe me, it won’t be more than two inches thick and doesn’t jut out like the traditional ones do. Bumpers should be made that way, there is a reason as to why bumpers jut out and are not integrated with the body, like the one in Enjoy.

As far as size is concerned, it looks bigger than the Ertiga but is not, its comparable. Move inside, and you are greeted with dated and cheap looking interiors. A very cheap tone of beige on the seat leathereatte covers, faux wood around the A/C vents and gear lever, cheap and flimsy control buttons and stalk and not fitted well together. The gear lever looked cheap and had a very weird movement. Now when you move the lever in forward (1,3,5) or backward (2,4,R) gear, your hand moves in a single plane kind of like parallel to the surface . While moving the gear lever forward, the lever actually goes down and moves upwards while moving it into 2,4,R. It’s something which I can’t describe and I don’t recommend to try it out either.

One novel feature I think is nice and required in cars with huge cabin area is 3 A/C vents in the center which the Enjoy provides.

The seats are ummm…. Uncomfortable, firm, no contours to take care of your shoulder, thighs, and love handles. It’s seats are upright, and makes me feel that my Scorpio’s seats are far plusher than these seats in Enjoy. Lack of armrest in the front adds to the misery.
Seats in the 2nd row are captain type, again no cushion, backrest is straight just like the backrest in the front, hence gives negligible support to the back. It although reclines and travels back and forth but are uncomfortable. Armrests are provided on both the captain seats are are so flimsy and thin that it dethrones the Innova in this department. IMO, armrest in both the Innova and to be launched Enjoy are thin and doesn’t support the arm in a comfortable manner, the Mahindras win here though YAY.

Recline the captain seats forward to enter the 3rd row which are front facing seats like the Ertiga. I recline the seats, shove my head inside the cabin, lift my right feet and try to enter. My head is still inside, my right leg is still airborne, and lady is yelling time and again, “Have you comfortable Sir, go in, go in”. In my mind, I was like shut up lady, I’m no Jackie Chan that I’ll find my through a small crevice. I finally lost all hope and accepted defeat.

This was followed by a group discussion which was yesterday. 8 people were invited this time, most being Mahindra Bolero, Xylo and Scorpio owners. Each one of us had the same opinion, that it is not one would expect a manufacturer to make in this era. For heavens sake, we are in the 21st century and one decade has already gone past. We guys gave a lot of opinions, suggestions on what to change, what not to, who to target, pricing etc. BTW, the fully loaded Enjoy in Diesel as per the sheets available there should not cost more than Rs. 893,000 ex showroom Delhi, it is also available in petrol. For more information, refer the pic below.

Next was the Innova, I'm sure folks here know more than I do on Innova (Read: Raj etc) followed by the boring Tavera which I din't bother to check out.

Test driving the vehicle was not permitted. But I have the specs with me which I would like to share with the fellow auto enthusiasts on TAI and members and guests from other auto forums are welcome to go through it.

I anticipated this review to be an enthusiastic and an ENJOYable one, but was dissasppointed to go through it.

P.S. The invitation was sent by an independent market study company, name of which I don’t want to disclose.

P.S. 2. The specification sheet is elsewhere hence not able to upload, but can’t handle my excitement hence publishing this review with you folks.

Thread Starter #44

350Z

Core Team
Re: Exclusive! First Look at Upcoming Chevrolet Enjoy – Page.4

That was a wonderful opportunity, 2teja. So GM is performing a serious market research before rolling out this MPV. From what you have described, it seems that Enjoy still carries the DNA of a ‘Chinese’ product which are usually built to cost. It anyway needs to have a highly competitive price tag (Read < 6 Lakh) for being even considered if that’s what coming for us. I look forward to that spec sheet and also attaching an image from the net to complement with this well written review. :smile:

Chevrolet-MPV-Concept.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Exclusive! First Look at Upcoming Chevrolet Enjoy – Page.4

A little while to go before I post the spec sheet on this thread. I'm unable to transfer the pics from phone to my PC.

Now that 350Z has mentioned it to be have Chinese DNA, I briefly recollect from the other day when during the discussion, the host kept on asking; " Would you like this car if it's country of origin is China, and if you don't, then why?" It now makes me believe its going to be the latest trash in India, only difference is that this time it doesn't come from a first world country unlike before but a third world country and our neighbor China.

With the launch of Cruze and now the new Cruze, Beat and Beat D, the general perception of Chevy India started changing and Indians are ready to own these contemporary American machines. Their effort of more than a decade would go down the drain if they launch Enjoy in the avatar that was shown on display the other day.

However, I would also like to mention that Chevy has made a few computer generated blueprints of the interiors (only) which look fabulous, and have never seen in a sub 25Lac Rupee car. If they launch Enjoy, I hope they do so with those nice interior design.

Folks, edited this post and mentioning the specs of Enjoy since I'm unable to transfer the pic.

On Road Price Delhi: Rs. 893,000/= for the Diesel variant listed below (Incorrectly mentioned the same amount as ex-showroom earlier, apologies)

Engine: 1.3L SDE Diesel and 1.4 BDOHC Petrol

Power: 75 PS and 104 PS respectively for D and P

Torque: 170 Nm and 131 Nm respectively.

Kmpl: 17 for D and 13.7 for P

Tranny: 5 Speed MT + 1 R

Airbag: Dual front

ABS: Yes

Immobilizer: No

Reverse Park Assist: Sensor type

Alloy Wheels: Yes, 14"

MID: Yes

A/C: With heater

2nd row A/C: Yes

Speakers: 4

Tweeters: No

HU: 1 DIN Tuner+CD+USB

Steering control for HU: No

Power Windows: Front and Rear without auto down on any

Keyless Entry: Yes

Power Steering: Yes

ORVM: Left and Right, both electrically operated without indicators on either.

Fog Lamps: Front

Seating capacity: 7

2nd row seats: Captain

Rear Wash and wipe: Yes

Rear defogger: Yes

I'm not aware of how many variants of Enjoy would be launched, but looking at the spec sheet and the trend going on India to offer ABS, Airbags along with music system and rear defogger only in the top end variants, it seems the one listed above is also a top end variant only. In that case, if the pricing is true, I think Enjoy would be a VERY FRUGAL muv to own, specially for the taxi/shuttle segment and for peeps like me who drive alone, or seldom have 2 people in the cabin and require good amount of cargo space. For such a pricing and the safety and bare basic feature, Rs. 900,000/= OTR looks like a sweet deal to me, although would have to live those boxy looks and cheap Palika Bazar-Guangzhou (Read: Chinese) type interiors.

Last edited:

Top Bottom