Everything About Auxiliary Lights

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Abhishek-
At what speeds you drive usually?
A driving beam is nothing but a slightly wider Spot beam, And It looks very much like your own Factory High beams.

If your current headlights are decent enough in High beam, Get a spot beam. You'll be able to drive faster and safer due to higher illumination distance.

If you drive really fast (130~170 or up) I suggest invest in High-Beam assists. AKA "PENCIL BEAMS".

The higher lamp is Factory High beam.
Notice how wide are factory High beams. And then you can see below HID fogs, the widest. Well you can already see the pencils![evil]

I am not able to judge the beam From pics as the Pics are sideways and also beamshots are not given. It would be better to visit a decor shop at night and check the beam manually. Neolites are also looking good.

Last edited:
I drive around speeds of 90-120. I already have 100/90W Philips rallye bulbs in the headlights but at the mentioned speeds, sometimes it feels like they are insufficient.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Get spot beams. Upgrade them with 100W Bulbs if they are metal and use a relay. Trigger them with High beams to prevent blinding people in Low beam or city use.

I think 100W bulbs may melt the housing/ reflector. I will see if I can find neolites 1010 (driving beam) with clear lens instead of the blurry type lens or maybe settle with neolite 879 (spot beam).
Also last time I visited, the shopkeeper in Kashmiri gate didn't show neolites in action so cannot comment on the beam pattern, I think I will have to ask him to show both the lights in action, will choose acordingly.

P.S. I found something on internet when choosing the right auxiliary lights, image attached

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
abhishek943,
Go for LED headlight Bulbs. (Both in your headlights and Aux lamps) They are Brighter and consume a Fraction of the power. A 100W Halogen bulb provides measly 2000 lumens
A 30W LED bulb provides 3600 Lumens. Do the math. and they're cheap these days too!

neo 879 is looking good!

Got pair of Neolite 1010 for ₹900.
Also purchased other stuff like
2x Philips really 100/90w h4 bulbs for 140 each
2x osram night breaker plus h3 55w bulbs for 180 each
2x T10 led for pilot bulbs
Minda trumpets TP9 for 400.

The shopkeeper wasn't having battery to test the Neolites, so took the bullet and purchased 1010.

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
congrats on the purchases.
these appear to be driving beam lights. the pleated lens helps achieve more width than height.

do.post pics and beamshots once installed.

Hello Abhishek-
At what speeds you drive usually?
A driving beam is nothing but a slightly wider Spot beam, And It looks very much like your own Factory High beams.

If your current headlights are decent enough in High beam, Get a spot beam. You'll be able to drive faster and safer due to higher illumination distance.

If you drive really fast (130~170 or up) I suggest invest in High-Beam assists. AKA "PENCIL BEAMS".

The higher lamp is Factory High beam.
Notice how wide are factory High beams. And then you can see below HID fogs, the widest. Well you can already see the pencils![evil]

I am not able to judge the beam From pics as the Pics are sideways and also beamshots are not given. It would be better to visit a decor shop at night and check the beam manually. Neolites are also looking good.
Hey man,

can you share the details of those pencil beam lights? my Hellas are more of driving beams.

regards,
Kinshuk

bhvm

Honoured Member
Unfortunately I do not have much details on them.
1> These lights are vintage.
They were on my Safari 1.9L TCIC in the year 1998 or '99. Then they got re-puporsed to Safari 3.0L DICOR in 2005, then to some other vehicle and finally landed up on my Blue boy. Surprisingly, The lamps still use their Original 50W H3 Bulb. I think it has seen over 5 vehicle changes.

They costed 660 a piece from Indore back then.

2> The dia of Lamp reflector is 110 MM. Actually, there is a magnifying glass In front and smooth reflector behind. I think in olden days where Projector technology was not introduced to India, some type of very thick magnifying glass was used. This aided the chrome reflector to provide a VERY tight beam pattern. I mean i can see a spot on the trees 100 FT away.

Unfortunately I do not have much details on them.
1> These lights are vintage.
They were on my Safari 1.9L TCIC in the year 1998 or '99. Then they got re-puporsed to Safari 3.0L DICOR in 2005, then to some other vehicle and finally landed up on my Blue boy. Surprisingly, The lamps still use their Original 50W H3 Bulb. I think it has seen over 5 vehicle changes.

They costed 660 a piece from Indore back then.

2> The dia of Lamp reflector is 110 MM. Actually, there is a magnifying glass In front and smooth reflector behind. I think in olden days where Projector technology was not introduced to India, some type of very thick magnifying glass was used. This aided the chrome reflector to provide a VERY tight beam pattern. I mean i can see a spot on the trees 100 FT away.
Any ideas on good pencil beam lights?

Top Bottom