Ertiga Mileage Details By All Ertiga Owners!

@sukanta, I completely agree with you.
I own an Ertiga too, and overall Im very happy with the performance of my car...

Though I have not calculated Mileage but with can say that I am getting 17+ with a total 4000 drive. Out of these 4000, 1000 was with 7 people and that time mileage was less in city or mysore road also where there lots of speed breakers.

Mahi, if you are driving in trafffic jam like KR puram or BTM then you cannot expect better mileage. From my short driving experience, do not rush rather gradually accelerate and always use correct gear as per the speed.

Its my third week of owning the Ertiga ZDI. I got the opportunity to take it on a long drive last week and covered 1500 kms. I did keep up with the run-in period speed of 80 - 85 kms on the highway. Surprisingly, I got a mileage of 19.4 kms. This is thru the tankful method. The average mileage on the display is close to this figure.

The first service for 1000 kms is completed this week and the engine is responding better and is very smooth.

I have seen a lot of claims that the Ertiga runs smoother after the first service and I cannot come up with any explanation why! No oil or filter change or anything to the engine besides exterior cleaning is done. Also I have seen that better mileage seems the norm, I have a vdi and I can say that I haven't observed either to be true. If I drive with a light foot I get around 20kpl on highways if I am concerned more with getting there faster I get around 18kpl. This is my experience having driven around 6000kms on the nh4 recently.

CITY:MUMBAI
MODEL:ERTIGA ZXI
City FE:9/10 kpl full time AC
Highway FE: 11kpl AC fulltime
but all time min 6/7 people on board
Current ODO:820kms

Last edited:
I have driven my Ertiga zdi for 18000 kms . I am getting a mileage of 18.6 on the display . I never checked it by tankful to tankful method.About 50% of my driving has been with AC on .

Thread Starter #23
@Mahi -- with due respect (and trying not be rude), Please get over these millage craze. Your car is perfectly fine when you are getting 11-12kmpl in b'lore and 18 in highway.
There are different aspect of owning (and using) a car and millage is JUST one of them , not THE ONLY one.
Oh.. let me make you calculation a bit more complex.
you didn't consider the extra amount you paid for ZDI instead of ZXI, with complex interest (or the opportunity lost if you paid full amount)
also you didn't consider the changing price of petrol, diesel cost and most importantly What would you do if the price suddenly changes? Sue the Government?? or ask your car to give more millage because you are now paying more money??
Please get over this "kitna deti hain" syndrome. This along is nothing, You will love your car if think positively.
and oh. I dont own a Ertiga, so yes, I don't know what exactly the millage should be.
( I own a petrol engined car and yes I didn't reach the figure you states)
Sukanta,

By saying "not being rude", you've exactly justified what and how you wanted to communicate a message here.

Few clarifications:

1. I'm not the obsessed with Mileage, but you'll agree (the very reason you got into this thread, took time to respond to this thread) that everyone is "curious" to know what the other vehicle's mileage would be and you'd also like to know what are thiose 'best practices' that others follow to keep their vehicles running in top form.

2. If you've read my previous threads, you'd know that I'm talking about the whole ownership in its totality, including the mileage.

3. The 'economy dymanics' of buying Petrol vs Diesel vehicle is one BIG dilemma we all go through, thanks to our govt that plays with the essential commodities and the tax structure. I've highlighted in my other posts as well.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...e-review-ertiga-zdi-its-ice-travelogue-4.html

4. For the whole lot of calculations (complex possible), please refer my other thread where i've tried all permutations and combinations in arriving at the decision of buying. Secondly, that entire thought process now gets defeated thanks to our govt, the pricing strategy of our automakers who draw more blood out of diesel vehicle buyers.

I've also indicated in some post that it was probably my mistake to go for Diesel and was trying to help others on this forum to open their eyes and NOT do same mistakes if they are in decision making process - you've to see the posts in its totality and understand the context in which its said, rather than terming a post as suffering from mileage syndrome.

Lets not make comments personal, rather try to understand the crux of this thread.It is helping people understand and choose a fuel option based on facts.Facts are what we need, great initiative mahii.

Ertiga Zdi, 16000 kms , mainly used in Trivandrum City and Kerala Highways.
City mileage: 14-15 Tank full method ( 15.5 to 16.5 in MID)
Highway: 16-17 Tank full method (17 to 18.5 in MID)

This is a great initiative !! I actually was waiting for someone to start this thread where we could all understand and follow basic principles to obtain max FE.

i own a ZDI, clocked 2700 kms
FE- 13.7( city conditions with AC always on) , and havent hit the highway so far.

I see people getting a mileage of 18, 19 kms/ltr.

Do let me know how ? Though, i donot cruize more than 80km/hr, i sitll get around 13.5

I have clocked 4100kms in my ertiga vdi and I get 17 to 18kmpl on 100% ac in Chennai bumper to bumper traffic. I still have not done a highway run. Was you ertiga zdi your first diesel car? Do not see your display and conclude your mileage that gets updated on every 100 liters of fuel in average. Do try trip meter from reserve tank and full the tank and find the reading in next reserve. Now you will know how much fuel filled and kilometers driven. It took 2000kms for me to get 16kmpl. Now I get 17 if I do drive in heavy traffic and get 18 in mixed traffic. On my initial 2000kms ride I used to drive in Max of 60kms speed. I never exceeded those speeds was very patient. Always do single handed driving. Don't mix many drivers. If I drive I will not cruise the 2300 rpm for upshifting gears. My uncle when he drives mine he cross 2600 to 3000rpm oh boy my head boils seeing the rpm meter. I get only 15kmpl in his driving. So driving correctly is a magic getting best FE out of your engine.

Last edited:
My ZDI has covered 8500 KM now and the average mileage I am getting is between 17 to 18KM/L with AC on most of the times as I prefer traveling with windows up to avoid outside noise and pollution. My travel is mostly home to office of around 55km total both ways. Out of this 1/4th travel is through city conditions and rest is on a straight stretch although not highway.
Our last highway travel is during beginning of this year within a fortnight of taking delivery of the vehicle, which I still cherish about having that fantastic smooth drive. Longing to take a trip again shortly.[glasses]

I love the way Ertiga DDIS engine provides that quick acceleration required when ever you want to overtake a vehicle with its Super Turbo.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
I have clocked 4100kms in my ertiga vdi and I get 17 to 18kmpl on 100% ac in Chennai bumper to bumper traffic. I still have not done a highway run. Was you ertiga zdi your first diesel car? Do not see your display and conclude your mileage that gets updated on every 100 liters of fuel in average. Do try trip meter from reserve tank and full the tank and find the reading in next reserve. Now you will know how much fuel filled and kilometers driven. It took 2000kms for me to get 16kmpl. Now I get 17 if I do drive in heavy traffic and get 18 in mixed traffic. On my initial 2000kms ride I used to drive in Max of 60kms speed. I never exceeded those speeds was very patient. Always do single handed driving. Don't mix many drivers. If I drive I will not cruise the 2300 rpm for upshifting gears. My uncle when he drives mine he cross 2600 to 3000rpm oh boy my head boils seeing the rpm meter. I get only 15kmpl in his driving. So driving correctly is a magic getting best FE out of your engine.
Good Suggestions, well, Kinky :) --- What a unique handle you've choosen for yourself in TAI forum [:D][:D]

Top Bottom