Engine Oil Replacement / Top Up

Thread Starter #1
Hello, my query is about engine oil. I have a turbo charged Indigo. Last, I replaced engine oil in September and have done 1500 kms running since then. As of today, there is still lot of oil left. Should I replace it wholly or should just top up?

EDIT: - I am going for a 1000 kms drive later this month, and thereafter would be going for an overhaul [piston rings change] once I return. I put Valvoline 15w40, along with oil filter change which costs me Rs 1,500/- In other words, is it advisable to spend 1,500/- just for a 1000 kms drive?

Last edited:
Re: Oil replacement / top up

No need to replace the Oil, since you have run only 1500 kms.. Check the quality of the oil, if it is sticky and blackish in color need to change it. (check when engine is cool)

No need to replace the Oil, since you have run only 1500 kms.. Check the quality of the oil, if it is sticky and blackish in color need to change it. (check when engine is cool)
Exactly!! If the oil still holds it's lubricating nature then no need to change it. If you have driven in too dusty regions in these 1500 kms then minute traces might be in oil also.

Also, as a practice always drain the old (burnt) oil when changing oil, a top-up is only when you need to get going and delaying the oil change for a few days.

freakdude.

No need to change the engine oil so early, there is remote chance to loss the lubrication in 1500 kms.Anyway check the viscosity as Varun advised to do.
Regards.

Thread Starter #5
Okay. So the common consensus is not to change the oil wholly. After this trip, I am going for overhaul, so spending 1.5k for a 1000 kms would be an expensive affair.

Okay. So common consensus is not to change the oil. So I will check the viscosity and will just top up.
Anyways I am going for a Piston rings change after this 1000 kms trip, so changing oil for a 1000 kms would have been an expensive affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need of changing the oil as of now. Any ways you are going for engine rebuild (piston rings change) hence need to replace oil that time..

Best Engine Oil

Whenever I go to service my car I get lot of suggestion for my engine oils. There are now-a-days so many to deal with. Please let me know the best engine oils for Maruti esteem.

Regards

Top Bottom