Engine Oil and Engine Oil Additive

Thread Starter #1
I intend to start this thread with 2 queries, if mods find it appropriate, they can separate them.

1. Engine Oil (Mineral)
2. Use of Additives

1. Engine Oil: -

I use Valvoline SAE 15w40 Oil usually (Turbocharged Indigo). Whether I should move to 20w40 or to any other brand? I want a smoother engine performance and want to add more life. What change of brand and/or grade is suggested?

2. Use of Additives: -

I fill regular IOC diesel. Recently I was told about using Ifftex System D additive while doing tankful, which is also recommended in the manual. My query is how would it work on an old engine (5 Years, 90,000 kms)? Has anyone used it and found any benefit?

Re: Engine Oil

So far I know about engine oil is that there are three types of engine oils viz. 1) Mineral 2) Semi synthetic & 3) Synthetic. Mineral is cheapest and synthetic is costliest. Which engine oil you will use it depends on the usage of the car i.e. how much your car runs, how much you want to spent etc. Mineral oil requires to change after 2000 kms. (approx.) , 5000 kms. for semi-synthetic and synthetic requires to change after 15000 kms. Engine oil does not improve performance rather it extends the life of the engine.

Modern engines does not required to add any additive.

I use Valvoline SAE 15w40 Oil usually (Turbocharged Indigo). Whether I should move to 20w40 or to any other brand? I want a smoother engine performance and want to add more life. What change of brand and/or grade is suggested?
First of all, you need to understand these numbers. They indicate the viscosity of the engine oil at different temperatures. 'W' stands for 'winter'. Simply put, in a, say, 15w40 oil, 15 is the viscosity of the oil when the engine is cold and 40 is the viscosity when the engine is at it's operating temperature. If the oil is too thick, it will not circulate in the engine properly and if it is too thin, it might disintegrate with an increase in temperature (try dropping water from a water bottle from a great height.....the stream of water would not be constant). In both case, the lubrication of the engine would not be proper and it would have disastrous consequences on the engine in the long run. In a country like India where climate is hot, using a slightly thicker engine oil than the one that is recommended by the manufacturer would not be harmful i.e you may use a 20w50 oil instead of a 15w40 oil in your car/bike. However it is best to stick to manufacturer's recommendations because the specification of oil to be used in a particular automobile has been arrived at after rigorous testing on part of the automobile manufacturer.

I fill regular IOC diesel. Recently I was told about using Ifftex System D additive while doing tankful, which is also recommended in the manual. My query is how would it work on an old engine (5 Years, 90,000 kms)? Has anyone used it and found any benefit?
Engine additives do help in removing clogging and gumming inside the engine/fuel injectors. But these should be used regularly (as mentioned in the manual) for best results. In your case, your car has done 90,000 kms and so using the additive now may remove a lot of accumulated sludge all of a sudden which may also lead to clogging/fouling of the engine/injectors as has happened in many cases.

I suggest you ask the dealer about this and only then go ahead with the additive.

Thread Starter #4

I. Engine Oil suggested by Tata Motors is :
1 Castrol GTD 15w40
2 HP Milcy 15w40

Now this grade does not suit the winter temperatures here in Jalgaon, as the temperature is in the range of 8-12, hence little trouble on cold starts. And at the end of January, temperature will rise up steeply. So is it advisable to top up with 20w40 or 20w50? Will it offer better lubrication and protection? I will be changing oil at the end of January and have to consider the hot summers here [ranges from 38-50 during February to June] Also suggest me on the brands- Valvoline/Castrol/Shell/Mobil etc.

II. Additives :

My FIP is due for a servicing, so I will inquire it with LUCAS then. In short, use of additives is not recommended by you.

You can go for either 20W40 or 20w50 without much problem, but I can definitely tell you that either is not going to make much difference for cold starts. You can go for any brand as they are all more or less the same (mineral oil vs mineral oil). Try Castrol GTX for a start. Mixing different oil grades is not advisable at all- when you say 'top up', I hope you shall be replacing the entire engine oil and not merely topping up the present level with another grade.

Thread Starter #6

You can go for either 20W40 or 20w50 without much problem, but I can definitely tell you that either is not going to make much difference for cold starts. You can go for any brand as they are all more or less the same (mineral oil vs mineral oil). Try Castrol GTX for a start. Mixing different oil grades is not advisable at all- when you say 'top up', I hope you shall be replacing the entire engine oil and not merely topping up the present level with another grade.
Yes, I am replacing the whole engine oil with new. This question arose because of the climate here. I will try going with 20w40

if you have been using 15w40 all along and faced no cold starting issues then do go ahead with that. brand does not matter in mineral oils but castrol and shell or even total are the best. please refer your owners manual and check the temperature graph based on temperature you face in jargon go ahead with the oil recommended

My experience regarding engine oils for my i10 automatic

1. Last time the odo was 24k and changed engine oil to 15W40 Castrol Magnatec. Fantastic smoothness.
2. This time odo on 29k changed to Shell Helix HX7 15W40
Engine feels little coarse.

And worst part from Hyundai
3. Automatic Transmission Fluid -- ATF Diamond SPIII fully synthetic
Not available at any dealers[frustration]. I know many auto i10 and i20's where they have filled manual transmission fluid. The SA's there say, it's ok, as new oil is better than older one[anger]

Last edited:

amiti i think you may find your auto tranny fluids in opera house city motors. he stocks most of the oils, try not to use any other fluids to be o a safer side

Thread Starter #11
Better engine oil

Please suggest me a better grade and brand of engine oil, for a smoother engine and healthy turbo functioning, for a TDi Indigo.
I am using Valvoline 15w40 always.
Hot summers here.

Off topic but,
What if I put 100 grams of Boric Acid in the oil? [:D]

i have read on another forum a guy tried that, but it has to be mixed well, best not to experiment with engine lubrication and get an oil additive from 3m or pyroil.

Thread Starter #13
i have read on another forum a guy tried that, but it has to be mixed well, best not to experiment with engine lubrication and get an oil additive from 3m or pyroil.

I have decided to use (suggestions welcome) Valvoline 20w40 over 15w40, as outside climate is too high here (44+ ). Query. Will it cause any damage / clogging of pump?
Will it be okay if I hit the highways straight away?
Along with oil and oil filter change, I am changing fuel filter and cleaning air filter. Air pressure at front 28 and rear 30 (earlier I followed 28 on all 4 tires)

Want to be a lil sporty with my Indigo.

how much km has your car clocked? mobil delvac super 15w40 is another great oil, even castrol gtx turbo or is it crb turbo do check out total they\ir oils i used a lot in chevrolet diesel engines
my outside climate is some 40-41 degrees and i have 0w40 in the engine will be 5w30 next time.
if its a high mileage engine you could try 20w50 the oil will be thicker and can make your engine smooth if the manual allows it plus you get better high temp protection and a very very minute drop in fe.
over that if you wish pour in stp diesel oil treatment, or any other good additive, if you go for synthetic don't add any additives.
also get a decarbonization done if you haven't done it previously though its not necessary if your engine is in top notch condition.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Has clocked 94000 kilometers. So 20w40 is no harm? Want to enjoy a sporty and fast ride. My limited knowledge helps me arrive at the conclusion that more viscous the oil, the good it is for turbo. And as far as climate is concerned, maximum is above 44 and minimum 22-23 in the night .. Additives I will not put any as it might clog.

Top Bottom