Engine Life of Indian Cars

Re: Engine Life

Wow what's happening today , first engine oil coolant and now this ,all these questions were in my mind for over a long time!

I also have the same habit of shifting to neutral often before i slow down.

In my opinion, there should not be anything wrong with shifting to neutral while in motion. It could help save fuel on slopes, etc.

The only downside of it is that we cannot use the Engine Braking, which is very effective.

one more question . i have habit of putting car in neutral coming down from flyover in traffic or before stopping at red light . one of my friend was saying that it is not good for engine . is it true ?
Theres nothing wrong in the practice followed by you. Shifting to neutral in wont do any harm to the engine. Do ask your friend as what he thinks is the ill effect of following such practice.

Thread Starter #20

Theres nothing wrong in the practice followed by you. Shifting to neutral in wont do any harm to the engine. Do ask your friend as what he thinks is the ill effect of following such practice.
will ask him next time i meet him

hi folks i am just looking out for Exedy Stage 1 Clutch in bangalore,can any one provide me some info..thanks in advance :)

Engine oil and coolant plays very important role in an engine's life. But, whats the right percentage of mixing coolant with water when adding in an engine ? and whats the life of such mixture? Is it necessary for it to be changed at a regular interval? Can somebody clarify this please [thinking]

I realized its not going to be much of an issue as while descending downhill i think most of the vehicles will have the gears in neutral only.

hi guys i feel that shifting to neutral while going down hill is not a good idea. though it not going to affect the engine in any way, its going to put extra load on to the brakes. as then the vehicle is slowing down solely on the brakes which will lead on to more wear & tear. controlling the car with the engine engaged is better.

hi guys i feel that shifting to neutral while going down hill is not a good idea. though it not going to affect the engine in any way, its going to put extra load on to the brakes. as then the vehicle is slowing down solely on the brakes which will lead on to more wear & tear. controlling the car with the engine engaged is better.
It is correct when you are travelling in the hills. We always need to use the engine braking. But mastersquall is asking when the car is in motion on a straight road with no sloped i.e. when we slow down to stop at a light point. We don't use engine braking at that time.

Most of the cars should run minimum of one lakh kilometers without enginr being opened up.Our Maruti 800 ran for 1.2 lakh kilometres before engine was rebored.

Today's car despite vast improvement in technology are affected by following:
1.maintainence
2.Engine oil
3.petrol quality and octane rating
4.driving habits - jack rabbit driving - shortens engine life

Riding at idle doesnot harm anything except slightly more fuel consumption. When the car is decelerating or foot from the acclerator is taken of fuel supply to the engine is cut off. At the idle condition engine will take the idle map which is slightly rich setting for the engine tickover.

ilango[speed thirst];64817 said:
Maruti engine last some 2L kms plus
Baleno 3L kms

Indica/indigo around 2L if maintained well
Almost all sumo near 2.5L kms

yeah honda city 3L and still running fine - i know a ohc
qualis near 4L kms
Skoda octy - diesel 4L kms. - Heard about a car.

Truck engine
leyland truck - almost 4L kms and after that they keep overhauling only that cylinder which need . unlike car where we change the whole bore .
Adding more on it,

I have seen mahindra logan taxi in a good condition, completed 4.5l kms, without any engine rework.(Bangalore, Meru cabs)

Opel Astra,(Rental car) 3.8LKms, in a great/perfect condition(in germany).

toyota camry taxi 5.2 L kms, in a good condition(in kuwait)

toyota land cruiser(Rental car) 7.5 L kms [surprise] with one engine overhaul at 6L kms (in Uganda),

everybody Please share your knowledge on other vehicles you have seen

Top Bottom