Engine Life of Indian Cars

Had Innova,which has done more than 2.9L Km in almost 9 years.It is running smoothly till we sold the car.Had to sell the car due to parking problems and less usage.We used to have a Qualis 2000 version,which has done 4.25L Km in 10 years before we sell it off in 2010.I know a friend of dad,who is using Innova,has done more than 2L Km in almost 5 years and one more friend has done 1.6L Km in 3 years.I had seen my dad's friend Octavia 2006 version,which has run more than 1.45L Km in 8 years,is still running strong after 8 years.The car was maintained in decent shape.

Last edited:
The highest mileage car that i have ever seen is our office owned Bolero DI Turbo. It is six years old and has 2.6 lac kms on odo. The vehicle is superbly maintained and still cruises at 100-120 kmph with ease.[surprise]

For me it appears like maintenance and usage pattern are the key things to keep the engine going on and on.

Re: Engine Life

ilango[speed thirst];64817 said:
Maruti engine last some 2L kms plus
Baleno 3L kms

Indica/indigo around 2L if maintained well
Almost all sumo near 2.5L kms

yeah honda city 3L and still running fine - i know a ohc
qualis near 4L kms
Skoda octy - diesel 4L kms. - Heard about a car.

Truck engine
leyland truck - almost 4L kms and after that they keep overhauling only that cylinder which need . unlike car where we change the whole bore .
Yes i can definatly vouch for Toyota Qualis which my father owned before we sold off it had an ODO reading of 250k+ without any engine overhaul, after that we had other cars as well, Safari being one of them since 2007, its done 120k kms and still running fine.

Others like Tata or even Ford cars completely break down after 1L km and their life after that is like an old man living on medicines.
I would rather disagree [;)] i still own a safari which has 120k kms done, apart than few niggling issues, it still has the decent amount of power, no major rework done on engine. the only major work done on my Safari is LHS front door repaint, as drunk bike fellow rammed my car[frustration], i personally feel, it depend on how much you care for your car and never ever miss the timely servicing, having said that i think Tata cars need extra care [lol]

I had recently completed 1 lakh kms in my laura. It is an extremely fun-to-drive car and it had never let me down.
My Skoda Laura has still lots of life left in it!

-PaddleShifter.

I Thank God for the following words

Our 14 year old Zen has 1.2L on ODO
She is still on OEM Clutch & OEM Suspension(now requires some work)

I must say, she drives so smooth and charming that our 3 year old altok10 cannot match it.
[clap]

My Dad's Old 96' Cielo ran about 4.7 lakh Kms when it was sold back in 2010.Engine overhaul done Once at 2.5 Lakh Kms. Suspension Overhaul and Stiffening done on the same days.Beautiful Car with a Great Engine and was Very Reliable too.Never broke down anywhere and was like the King at Highways.Pathetic Mileage (7-9 Kmpl City without AC).I was surprised Daewoo did not have High Maintenance.Dad's current 04' Chevy Optra LS has ran Only 58K Kms.BTW I have seen Taxis (Petrol) with 8 Lakhs + Kms on the Odo with 3-4 Rebuilds when I came to Mumbai.Thank you

Last edited:
^^ Cielo with 4.7lakh Kms?[surprise]. We also had 96 cielo run only 80K km sold on 2010 after my marriage. I guess you were using it in LPG thats why less milage. I love its suspension and engine. In bad roads at a 60-70 km/hr, this car will glide.

BTW which petrol taxis you were mentioned? Santro/omni?

^^ Cielo with 4.7lakh Kms?[surprise]. We also had 96 cielo run only 80K km sold on 2010 after my marriage. I guess you were using it in LPG thats why less milage. I love its suspension and engine. In bad roads at a 60-70 km/hr, this car will glide.

BTW which petrol taxis you were mentioned? Santro/omni?

My Dad's Cielo Dad not have LPG !! Yes It had Very good Suspension though ittybitty soft and a Powerful Engine.Remember those days Cielo 1.5 Had the Fastest figures for 0-60 and 0-100 and top speed too was the best around 196 Km/H.The Taxis I mentioned are Padmini,Omni,Tavera.etc Thank you

i had a tata indica v2 which had engine trouble coming as per the mechs i had shown the car to. i had to top up the engine oil by 1 litre for every thousand km run from 60000 km onwards. so i sold it off. my friends tata indica v2 had to have engine overhaul at 40000km. i was very meticulous in its maintenance. all service were done at tata dealers every 5000kms
We have Indigo cs ls tdi running 1.2 lakh kms, still the engine looking to last atleast 0.5 lakh more easily. Engine overhaul or anything like that in a new car of 0.5 lakh kms is news.[:)]

Brother's ride:
Honda Civic with 1.5L+ on odo, stock engine + clutch [clap] running fine without any issues

Beater car:
Maruti Wagon-R, with 1.5L+ on odo. Engine head once opened for valve failure @70k km, otherwise it is running with stock Piston + Stock clutch

My ride:
hehehe, I have the habit of changing the car frequently. The max I covered is 66k on Fiat Linea before I sold.

BTW I have seen Taxis (Petrol) with 8 Lakhs + Kms on the Odo with 3-4 Rebuilds
Taxis I mentioned are Padmini,Omni,Tavera.etc Thank you
Tavera Petrol? [glasses]

Last edited:
I think in todays traffic condition we should calculate engine life at hours than Kms. In our most of the cities it will take more than one hour to cross10-20 kms in peak hours. Also we should appreciate our car gear boxes, because it may be 3 times higher changes required in the cars in our country than US/europe. Like this i had thought about the suspension components of our cars. My friend's less than 2 year/20K km run Swift diesel had to replace the rear shock absorber and some bushes in the front suspension. ASS told this is due to usage in bad roads and no guarentte.

My college cab Toyota Qualis has done 4.6 lac kms. And still running strong. And best part is, the meter was pulled back twice. In reality it has done over 9 lac kms. [;)]

Top Bottom