Engine Life of Indian Cars

I recently had a trip to Ajanta, 55 Kms from Jalgaon. I have a Turbo Indigo which has done 85700 Kms so far and gives me a mileage of 18-20 consistently without air con.
But during this trip, the mileage considerably reduced. I checked the Tyre Pressure and set it to the Company standards of 26. Yet there was no improvement. Is it the Air Filter who drank the extra diesel? Please guide.

i think air filter could be the problem when did you last changed them

In this February. But since that the car has done about 4000 Kms, and most importantly last wee when I had been to Mumbai, i topped up fuel at 2 places on the way, at Dhule and Igatpuri, both areas notorious for fuel mixing. My guessing is that the impure fuel may have worked up the air filter and in turn the dropped mileage.

Thread Starter #49
clean air filter using vacuum or something it should solve the problem but as you said the places you got top up could be reason for drop in mileage . I mostly i get to know when my safari pick is not good then i know air filter need clean up after that car run fine . so try it

Re: Engine Life

HI ilango I wish to buy an SKODA OCTAVIA TDI car. i saw one with 2004 model and 2lakh kilometres run, they said 3.30 lakhs. Should i buy it?

i am afraid only about the kilometres it ran!! but many are saying diesel skoda goes good till 4 lakh kms! give me a suggestion

Last edited by a moderator:
Please suggest:-

I own ford fiesta petrol 1.4 EXI, 2006. It has clocked 115000 KM and now I am feeling very rough kinda driving exp. like feeling vibrations on padels and steering. engine does not gives smooth feeling. ford suggested to change the belts and the total quotation amount is 52000. Please suggest on this. also guide if I can do it outside the ASC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heys guys had a OHC VTEC and i had done 2,25000KMS.I could easily cruise at 150 kmph all day long.Only problem were the mechanicals.Regular oil/coolant change and the mighty honda engines could overlast a human being

@hiteshbalajee:I feel 3.30 lakhs is way too high for a 2lakh kms done car.Octy is known for its beautiful,reliable and robust TDI engine.If you have got proper service history(oil change in particular) i feel more 0ne lakh kms shouldnt be a problem.Well that is only the motor part,you need to check the suspension and other mechanical parts as well.I think 2.5 lakhs should be ok.

Merc sourced Force Motors engines last very long. So does Tata's 407 engine. I have read about Bolero engines lasting for over 300,000 km. An year or 2 back I had a short discussion with the owner of a garage where I had taken my car for a routine oil change. He saw me checking out a Scorpio (old model) that was there for repair and advised me if I were interested in buying a used muv /suv better bet on a Qualis. He told me even the Innova engine was not as good. I remember his telling me something about oil leaks that other vehicles develop as they age. He would have seen them all......

Any body noticed fumes coming out through engine oil dip stick hole when the engine is hot, and you removed the dipstick?
I have a tata safari 2.2 vtt 55k on odo, I have noticed slight fumes when my engine is hot and can be seen only with the help of a torch. can any one tell me is it normal for tata safari 2.2 vtt?
I have noticed this in many 2.2 vtt safaris.
and also asked prerana motors Bangalore, they told it is normal. but I just want to conform it with experts in this forum :)

Last edited:
i have a friend's logan which had done 365,000 kms and well it was running well but the body had too much rust so he sold it off. He also had a Qualis with 143,000 kms. He has a Camry here in Thailand which has done 284,000 kms in 7 years.

we had a fiat UNO (anyone remember it) - the engine lasted for more than 1.5L kms without needing any work. The car was regularly serviced. It was a very good engine until the car was sold off. Now there is a indigo manza doing its duty and it crossed 1L kms and still doing good. Both cars were Chaffeur driven - regularly serviced.

How long is it used once started/cranked. Maximum damage to engine happens at times of cranking up.
@Thetraveller - could you please elaborate on this, i have a habit of giving the throttle while starting the car in the morning because mine is a carb engine, a mechanic told me this is harmful to the engine

@Thetraveller - could you please elaborate on this, i have a habit of giving the throttle while starting the car in the morning because mine is a carb engine, a mechanic told me this is harmful to the engine
Giving little amount of throttle is ok as it's a carb engine. I do the same. But don't do it too much because engine might subject to excessive wear during the start up. This might happen because engine needs little time to fully lubricate all the internal parts of the engine with oil by pumping them all around the engine. So never floor the gas paddle as soon as the engine starts. And you could always use the choke a bit instead of the throttle.

Top Bottom