Engine Dies While Running (Dzire ZDi)

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My uncle bought a new Dzire just 2 months ago and we have been experiencing a problem number of times and even m.s.s engineers can't figure how to fix it. [anger]

While driving the car at around 80kmph on 4th gear, the rpm is aroud 2100-2200 and the car is in turbo range at that speed as turbo kicks in at 2000rpm.
When at that speed and rpm, gear is changed to 5th, and after changing the gear when the clutch is left, engine starts shaking and rpm drops drastically and reaches below 1000 mark and ultimately, while car is running at 80kmph speed, ENGINE DIES!! Power steering stops working and all the normal signs before starting the car lights up. (AC was working everytime when this happened).
And when the car starts shaking and the rpm is dropping, when I keep pressing the clutch for a time, car stops shaking and the rpm also stabilises.
This might be very serious problem when driving on Highways.
And when I start the car after stopping the car, White smoke from exhaust starts coming ( smoke came out, like in 7 out of 10 times when this happened) and I have to restart the car after waiting for a while, and then it starts normally.
I went to M.serv. station, they drove and tested the car, but unfortunately nothing happened at that time and they said that they have no idea about this problem and they could only solve this if it happened in front of them. On my request, they agreed to check the car, they checked the fuel pump, diesel samples and some more things, and they came up with the result that the diesel in your car is not upto the mark, so please change the Filling station (although the f.station I go is one of the best in the city), although I changed the station, But this problem is still there!
Can anyone please help me?

I would like to add, that car is pulling and performing perfectly at low speeds.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!
My uncle bought a new Dzire just 2 months ago and we have been experiencing a problem number of times and even m.s.s engineers can't figure how to fix it. [anger]

While driving the car at around 80kmph on 4th gear, the rpm is aroud 2100-2200 and the car is in turbo range at that speed as turbo kicks in at 2000rpm.
When at that speed and rpm, gear is changed to 5th, and after changing the gear when the clutch is left, engine starts shaking and rpm drops drastically and reaches below 1000 mark and ultimately, while car is running at 80kmph speed, ENGINE DIES!! Power steering stops working and all the normal signs before starting the car lights up. (AC was working everytime when this happened).
And when the car starts shaking and the rpm is dropping, when I keep pressing the clutch for a time, car stops shaking and the rpm also stabilises.
This might be very serious problem when driving on Highways.
And when I start the car after stopping the car, White smoke from exhaust starts coming ( smoke came out, like in 7 out of 10 times when this happened) and I have to restart the car after waiting for a while, and then it starts normally.
I went to M.serv. station, they drove and tested the car, but unfortunately nothing happened at that time and they said that they have no idea about this problem and they could only solve this if it happened in front of them. On my request, they agreed to check the car, they checked the fuel pump, diesel samples and some more things, and they came up with the result that the diesel in your car is not upto the mark, so please change the Filling station (although the f.station I go is one of the best in the city), although I changed the station, But this problem is still there!
Can anyone please help me?

I would like to add, that car is pulling and performing perfectly at low speeds.
Oh !! Saby sorry to hear this in a new car like Dzire[cry], It made me to remember same kind of problem used to happen in my Indica of year 2006 and I visited lot of TASS but could not fix the problem. While running the engine use to go off and with jerks, I used to press the clutch and bring the car to halt. At times It looked to me very dangarous and got fed up with TASS people and left the car which was used for my office use given by company[frustration]

That was the story of a TDI engine of Indica, but it really surprises me this kind of problem with the most successful Fiat engine on Dzire !!

I suggest contact the regional Maruti people and report this and ask for a solution if not write to Maruti Directly.

Hi Saby, I have heard of a similar case before and if I remember correctly water in diesel was the culprit. Though it is not possible to diagnose correctly just based on your summary above, I think MS ASS might just be correct.
Changing filling station might not help as diesel in the latter one also might not be upto the mark. In such a case, I would suggest you add Cyclo 6XT Diesel Fuel Treatment or similar. These help remove water from diesel and fuel line and is a cheap way to test the theory.
If it still does not get resolved, then there is something else wrong.

Thread Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions! [:)]
Yesterday at highway, it happened thrice.
First 2 times I went upto 70kmph in 4th gear and rpm just crossed 2000rpm, when the turbo just kicked in, I shifted to 5th gear and when I released the clutch, rpm dropped below 1000 mark and the car turned off. :P
After that I was sure that there is problem in Turbo, as car would turn off immediately after 2k mark.
The third time, I shifted to fifth gear at the speed of 50 and rpm started to rise and fall a little at 1.6~1.7 mark, I was feeling the punch and lack of power at that speed and rpm and when I left the accelerator, car turned off again...
I again noted that when the clutch is pressed for a long time, the dropping rpm is automatically stabilised.

I will go to m.s.s again on monday, God knows what will they do now. :P
And before that I will try that fuel additive, in case water maybe present in diesel.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Used "System D" in 2 times in 2 tank fulls and now the car flies like before without any problem!
Clearly, the culprit was bad fuel.
System D also increased the average of the car by 3-4kmpl! :O
Shocking, but true.

Saby,

Good to note that, but I have been told that the System D eats away the inner surface of fuel lines, please do check this up with Maruti people and there is no such authentication anywhere that using System D is good and not harmful for engine !! we just cannot go with peoples experiences on this for our costly rides !![:)]

Top Bottom