Electric Shock when We Touch the Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Here is a very rare issue I am facing from a few days.

Just after a drive of 1 or 2 kms, when I try to get down of the car, if I touch the car , I get a shock treatment from my car. [frustration]

Is this the problem of the spark plug cords ?
Because previously when the car was on, I just tried to touch the distributor
cap I could feel mild shock, hence changed both distributor cap and spark plug cords..

Please guide me to solve this.. [;)]

Even I have faced this problem when I close the door after getting down. I ignore it since I get a similar shock when touching other things(rarely) eg; cubicles in my office[confused]

@Serrao: This used to happen to me too when weather was cold and dry. I realised that it is due to static electricty which gets built up and gets discharged when I touch a metallic object. In my case, the culprit was the material of sole of my shoes. I am not having any problem after I changed to rubber soled shoes. Hope this helps. [:)]

Well same goes here also.Every time I get down and close the front door I get this elctric shock.I thought I am too electrifying[;)],but guess i am not the only one.[lol]

This was happening to me for the first few weeks when our came home, as MBT India said it would be of static electricity.

Varun what was the last modification done by you? Check the wire connections thoroughly,think this might solve.

Thread Starter #6
This was happening to me for the first few weeks when our came home, as MBT India said it would be of static electricity.

Varun what was the last modification done by you? Check the wire connections thoroughly,think this might solve.
Ha Ha, As I said above, I was trying to do something with the distributor cap, but I think it wont cause this. I am scared whether my music system/ sensitive electronics in my car would blow off due to this..

Well now I can relax am in the list too, Its exactly correct what mbt_india said it will the static electricity which will be stored in body & gets discharged when a metal object is touched infact I ve seen sparks at times[surprise]. Hence while closing door or touching any metal objects I would use the whole palm[;)] which will reduce the intensity If any. Hope this helps Varun..

[cheers]
Santosh.V
Drive Safe

Thread Starter #8
Thanks Santosh.. I went through the internet found one solution, before getting down the car touch any metal part it reduces shock..
Members please try and post the info so that others can also try this.
Me too will try.

Count me in this list. I also get this therapy, free of cost, but this normally happens during dry weather conditions. However, i have adapted myself to this, the solution being, while getting off the car, i never touch any metallic part, but rather, close the door by holding the handle.

Count me in this list. I also get this therapy, free of cost, but this normally happens during dry weather conditions. However, i have adapted myself to this, the solution being, while getting off the car, i never touch any metallic part, but rather, close the door by holding the handle.
Excellent Solution.

In fact, I use my foot to close the door (kind of kicking it). It is not me alone in my family but my daughter also faces the same issue and it is not limited to our car only but any car for that matter [lol]. My daughter enjoys it because of the chit chit sound we get to hear at times.

During winters, when we remove our sweaters (jumpers) we get to hear lot of sounds heavy chit chit. We tried removing them in dark room to see the electric effect and buy we can see light passing through our jumpers.

Strangely, this does not happens to my wife or son. I think it is some kinda of electric discharge and not good for us [anger] I guess.

350Z

Core Team
Surprisingly this was happening with me too since a last couple of days. But as it has been already clarified, it is nothing much to worry about.

Drive Safe,
350Z

We experience more static when the weather is cold and occassionally we may see sparks also. Last winter i was in USA and most of my team members had this issue. At times this was intense and we used touch metals/desks with flat palm instead of fingers. The "action of points" theory helps a bit to reduce this effect. Whenver we are touching the objects with finger tips, the pointed ends will be more charged and will result in an increased feel of the static. If we touch the metal objects with flat palm, the charge will be equally distributed resulting in reduced static shock. You may give it a try :)

I experience the same kind of thing when I remove my car's body cover and touch the boot to open. Obviously Static Electricity might be generated from the rubbing of the cover and the body.[roll]

To explain things in short, Static electricity is a charge that's produced when two objects rub against each other. In this case, when you are travelling in a car, charges are exchanged between your clothes and the car seat accumulating extra charges.

Since the shoes that we use are primarily made of rubber which is an insulator, the charges have nowhere to go. So, when you reach for the metal door of the car, the shock occurs.

Hence as mentioned above, having contact with a metal while the exchange of charges are still taking place balances the charges and extra/stray charges get discharged gradually and reduces the chance of a spontaneous shock.

I am in the list too[lol], whenever i close the door after getting out. I get an electric shock, most of the times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom