East By North-East - Purple Cheetah's Latest Tryst!

Thread Starter #1
Last edited:
I admire your passion and guts for doing this wonderful roadtrip.

Reminds me of Chakoo Sir who did a pan India trip in a Nano.

Cheers

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #9
Chennai>Bhubaneswar>Guwahati

The only problem that P Cheetah gave during the entire drive was, its LHS fog lamp bulb got burnt out after crossing Vijayawada. So, we drove to Utkal Automobiles, Bhubaneswar and got it replaced during our stay there as I did not want to take any risk with the foggy weather prevailing in many parts of India during the small hours of the day.

After many sections of bad roads and traffic jams in WB, we managed to arrive at Ginger, Guwahati by evening. The next day, we visited the nearby Nagaland House and got the innerline permit [ILP] issued for both me and wife within 10 minutes after submitting application forms with 2 photos each and ₹ 100. Now, we are all set to drive to Nagaland. [:)]

ChennaiBhubaneswarGuwahati.jpg
DSC08728.JPG
DSC08730.JPG
DSC08733.JPG
IMG_20180103_100024.jpg
DSC08741.JPG
DSC08746.JPG
DSC08747.JPG
DSC08751.JPG
DSC08752.JPG
DSC08753.JPG
DSC08765.JPG
DSC09251.JPG
IMG_20180105_094017.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Chennai>Bhubaneswar>Guwahati

The only problem that P Cheetah gave during the entire drive was, its LHS fog lamp bulb got burnt out after crossing Vijayawada. So, we drove to Utkal Automobiles, Bhubaneswar and got it replaced during our stay there as I did not want to take any risk with the foggy weather prevailing in many parts of India during the small hours of the day.

After many sections of bad roads and traffic jams in WB, we managed to arrive at Ginger, Guwahati by evening. The next day, we visited the nearby Nagaland House and got innerline permit [ILP] for both me and wife within 10 minutes after submitting application forms with 2 photos each and ₹ 100. Now, we are all set to drive to Nagaland. [:)]

View attachment 238412
View attachment 238413
View attachment 238414
View attachment 238415
View attachment 238416
View attachment 238421
View attachment 238417
View attachment 238418
View attachment 238419
View attachment 238420
View attachment 238422
View attachment 238423
View attachment 238424
View attachment 238426
Nice to see bhabhi accompanied you on this trip. God bless

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #13
Kohima War Cemetery

We visited Kohima War Cemetery on 7 Jan 2018 morning.
Kohima War Cemetery is a memorial dedicated to soldiers of the 2nd British Division of the Allied Forces who died in the Second World War at Kohima, the capital of Nagaland, India, in April 1944. The soldiers died on the battleground of Garrison Hill in the tennis court area of the Deputy Commissioner's residence. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), which maintains this cemetery among many others in the world, there are 1,420 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War at this cemetery, and a memorial to an additional 917 Hindu and Sikh soldiers who were cremated in accordance with their faith.[1][2][3] The memorial was inaugurated by Field Marshal Sir William Slim, then Commander of the 14th Army in Burma.
In March 1944, the Japanese 15th Army attacked the British troops stationed in Kohima and Imphal in northeast India with intent to prevent an attack on Burma. In the first week of April, the Japanese attacked at Kohima and Imphal via Mizoram from the Indo-Burma border, to destroy the supply bases of the British. They laid siege on the Allied forces stationed at Kohima and also at Imphal.

Reaching Kohima during April 1944, the Japanese 15th Army occupied a strategic location on Garrison Hill and continually attacked a small contingent of the Commonwealth forces, which successfully held their ground until reinforcements were brought in. In the battle at the tennis ground (now marked by white concrete lines) of the Deputy Commissioner's bungalow (which was destroyed during the war), which also involved hand-to-hand fighting between the opposing forces, the Commonwealth forces prevailed over the Japanese forces and forced them to retreat in defeat. There were heavy casualties on both sides.[1] This battle was the turning point for the Allied forces.

In 2013, the British National Army Museum voted the Battle of Imphal and Kohima as "Britain's Greatest Battle".
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohima_War_Cemetery

The Battle of Kohima was the turning point of the Japanese U Go offensive into India in 1944 during the Second World War. The battle was fought in three stages from 4 April to 22 June 1944 around the town of Kohima in Nagaland in northeast India. From 3 to 16 April, the Japanese attempted to capture Kohima ridge, a feature which dominated the road by which the besieged British and Indian troops of IV Corps at Imphal were supplied. By mid-April, the small British and Indian force at Kohima was relieved. From 18 April to 13 May, British and Indian reinforcements counter-attacked to drive the Japanese from the positions they had captured. The Japanese abandoned the ridge at this point but continued to block the Kohima–Imphal road. From 16 May to 22 June, the British and Indian troops pursued the retreating Japanese and reopened the road. The battle ended on 22 June when British and Indian troops from Kohima and Imphal met at Milestone 109, ending the Siege of Imphal.

The battle is often referred to as the "Stalingrad of the East".
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kohima
DSC08807.JPG
DSC08808.JPG
DSC08809.JPG
DSC08810.JPG
DSC08812.JPG
DSC08820.JPG
DSC08824.JPG
DSC08825.JPG
DSC08829.JPG
DSC08831.JPG
DSC08832.JPG
DSC08833.JPG
DSC08834.JPG
WarCemetry.jpg
DSC08838.JPG
DSC08839.JPG
DSC08841.JPG
DSC08842.JPG
DSC08843.JPG

Excellent travelogue Ravi Sir, and you have touched the minutest of details, down to the quality/quantity of breakfast served at the places of stay.

The fuel-log is informative which app do you use, I've started using Fuelio, which is quite comprehensive in their information.

A small tip, when you tank up, avoid round figures, tell them to dispense Rs.10/15 less, there is a difference in the fuel efficiency figures of my vehicles, (you will notice a ?mark on the salesman's face, when you tell him to do this).

Cheers & Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #15
I admire your passion and guts for doing this wonderful roadtrip.
Nice to see bhabhi accompanied you on this trip. God bless
Excellent travelogue Ravi Sir, and you have touched the minutest of details, down to the quality/quantity of breakfast served at the places of stay.
Thanks a lot for the compliments, appreciation and nice words, Vinod. [clap]

The fuel-log is informative which app do you use, I've started using Fuelio, which is quite comprehensive in their information.
I used MS Excel sheet. I will try Fuelio. Thanks again.
A small tip, when you tank up, avoid round figures, tell them to dispense Rs.10/15 less, there is a difference in the fuel efficiency figures of my vehicles, (you will notice a ?mark on the salesman's face, when you tell him to do this).
Noted. Thanks, once again.
Wow, THAT is solid passion for driving, yaar. Kudos.
Thanks, vijay_968.
9 hours to for 344 km to Kohima ? Was it traffic or bad roads ?
Mainly due to bad roads in Nagaland and to some extent, bumper-to-bumper traffic jam in almost all junctions in Dimapur.
Nice log. Loving reading it.
Thank you so much for the appreciation. [clap]

Last edited:

Top Bottom