East By North-East: My Blue Diamond Did It Fast

Thread Starter #16
The distance from Kolkata to Agartala, enveloping the India-Bangladesh international border is 1528 km, but through Bangladesh, it is 434 km only. If we are allowed to drive through Bangladesh like Bhutan without hassle, we can save about 1,100 km one way!
KolkataAgartalaAroundBangladeshBorder.jpg KolkataAgartalaShortestRoute.jpg

Thread Starter #17
26/27 JAN 2019

We checked out of JIT, Aizawl after a quick breakfast of bread toasts and tea and left for Champhai at 8:30 am on 26 Jan 2019. As Google Maps predicts the drive time realistically based on traffic and road conditions, I switched over to Android Auto Google Maps on the infotainment system. We drove 191 km and reached Govt Tourist Lodge, Champhai at 3:45 pm after more than 7 hours due to road conditions. Bad roads lead to beautiful destinations. Champhai is no exception. It's a beautiful district headquarters perched on the top of hillocks. Originally, I planned to visit Rih Dil, Myanmar in the afternoon, but it didn't go as per my plan due to our late arrival at Champhai, thanks to bad roads.

We got a double room, costing ₹ 600/day as the cottages, costing ₹ 800/day were all full. There was a wedding anniversary party going on in one of the cottages. We too were invited during our chat with some of the guests, who came and started chatting us after seeing the registration number of Blue Diamond. So, we barged into that party, wished the couple, got photographed with them and had sandwiches, cake and tea. Later, we had our dinner served at our room and called it a day.

On 27 Jan 2019, we got ready and left for Rih Dil, Myanmar at 7:30 am. After reaching the border check-post, I paid ₹ 20 to MZ police, got a gate pass, deposited my driving licence with the Indian Customs, crossed the bridge, paid ₹ 150 to Myanmar immigration staff and continued my drive to Rih Dil, which has a legend. After reaching the heart-shaped lake, we spent some time there photographing the beautiful lake. Since it was a Sunday, there was no commercial activity on both the sides. Even getting a cup of tea was difficult. We returned to India, parked Blue Diamond near the check-post, got back my driving licence from the Indian Customs and got the information from a friendly Indian soldier about the availability of coffee in Myanmar across the border. So, we walked back and had coffee - made out of condensed milk and instant coffee - in Myanmar at last!

We returned to Govt Tourist Lodge, Champhai, which was deserted. I settled our stay and food bill, had tea, got some more tea in the flask, left for Regency, Aizawl at 11:15 am and arrived there by 6:30 pm. Regency is a good hotel at Aizawl. We were charged ₹ 2,799/day including tax and good buffet breakfast. They have a parking space for 4 cars at the ground floor and another big parking lot on the top of their fifth floor. After completing the checking in process, the lady staffer at the reception told me that I could park our Blue Diamond near our room on the fifth floor. A helper accompanied us in the car and guided me to their fifth floor car park. I drove out of their building, went and took the right-hand hair-pin turn, climbed the road, reached the parking lot, parked Blue Diamod and reached our room. Later, we had our dinner at their restaurant and crashed on the bed for a well-earned sleep.
DSC00053.JPG DSC00068.JPG DSC00071.JPG DSC00081.JPG DSC00083.JPG DSC00085.JPG DSC00090.JPG DSC00093.JPG DSC00094.JPG DSC00098.JPG DSC00100.JPG DSC00101.JPG DSC00102.JPG DSC00105.JPG DSC00106.JPG DSC00107.JPG DSC00108.JPG DSC00111.JPG RihDil.jpg DSC00114.JPG DSC00119.JPG DSC00120.JPG DSC00121.JPG DSC00122.JPG DSC00126.JPG DSC00131.JPG IMG_6601.JPG IMG_6602.JPG DSC00133.JPG DSC00135.JPG

Thread Starter #19
28/29 JAN 2019

Having rested in the previous night, got up early and checked Blue Diamond thoroughly before yet another long drive to Agartala on presumably bad roads. Got Blue Di rid of dust accumulated during to and fro drives of Champhai. Then, packed, loaded the luggage and got ready for a wonderful buffet breakfast. Checked out after settling the bills. Later, B Diamond too had a tankful. When we left the pump, the time was 9 am on 28/01/2019. The first 30 km of the road was very good since it led to Lengpui airport. Then, Blue Diamond's tryst with bad roads started again. More of bad roads, rough roads, metalled roads, work-in-progress roads, narrow roads, dusty roads and less of good roads all the way to Mamit and then to MZ-TR border. After 11 hours and 339 km, we reached Ginger, Agartala at 8 pm. After a good dinner, we retired for the night.

On 29/01/2019, after a good buffet breakfast, we headed to Ujjayanta Palace Tripura State Museum, which was a treasure of information, rare photographs, exhibits and models. Since photography was prohibited inside the museum, I could not click any pics inside. We enjoyed going through the exclusive section dealing with the liberation of Bangladesh. Then, we headed to Udaipur, where Tripurasundari temple was located [55 km]. After visiting the temple, we returned via India-Bangladesh border. While returning, Blue Diamond recorded 10,000 km on its odometer. By the time we reached the border, it was dark even at 5:30 pm. The ceremonial parade and lowering of the Tricolour were over. A friendly BSF soldier offered to click photographs for us. We returned to Ginger and rested after a good buffet dinner.
DSC00164.JPG DSC00168.JPG DSC00169.JPG DSC00170.JPG DSC00173.JPG DSC00176.JPG MID28012019.jpg DSC00188.JPG DSC00189.JPG DSC00191.JPG DSC00192.JPG DSC00195.JPG DSC00197.JPG DSC00198.JPG DSC00201.JPG DSC00205.JPG DSC00206.JPG DSC00208.JPG DSC00210.JPG DSC00211.JPG IMG20190129134107.jpg DSC00217.JPG DSC00219.JPG DSC00220.JPG DSC00229.JPG DSC00236.JPG DSC00239.JPG DSC00247.JPG DSC00253.JPG DSC00255.JPG

Thread Starter #20
30 JAN - 03 FEB 2019

Fully rested, well-fed and with tankful of diesel in B Diamond, we left Ginger Agartala at 8:45 am on 30/01/2019 to Ladybird Shillong. Since it was a 13 hour drive, I had to drop with a heavy heart my originally planned Unakoti - a UNESCO heritage site in TR, which was located on my way - due to lack of time as it involved spending atleast a couple of hours there. We took Agartala>Khowai>Kumarghat>Panisagar>Patharkandi>Karimganj>Shillong route.

We were subjected to attempted extortion at three places between Khowai and Kumarghat, TR by some local boys in the guise of some temple festival. But, I didn't oblige and continued my driving without paying them. We had an unpleasant experience of road rage before Kumarghat. We were followed by a XUV 500 on the narrow ghat road to Kumarghat. There was a narrow single lane iron girder bridge, which I entered first and crossed more than half the way, followed by XUV 500. Then, suddenly an Alto too entered the bridge from the opposite site. No amount of flashing my headlights stopped the driver. He stopped his Alto in front of Blue Diamond and asked me to go back. When I pointed out that I entered the bridge first and crossed more than half the way followed by another car, he started abusing me. When I realized that he won't budge from his position, I requested the XUV 500 driver to back up so that I too could go back to give way for Alto. Then, the gentleman sitting on the front passenger seat came out and told me to wait. He went to the Alto driver and requested him to back out as we had already crossed more than half the way on the narrow bridge. Sitting inside B Diamond, I could see him begging with the Alto driver, pointing me and his XUV 500. But, the Alto driver won't budge, He bent upon insisting that we both back up to give him the right of way first. Then, the XUV 500 gentleman raised his voice. Hot arguments in Bengali followed from both the sides. At one stage, the XUV 500 guy slapped the Alto driver and ordered him to go back. I didn't know, what happened, the Alto guy meekly surrendered and backed out and gave way for us to drive out of the bridge. I thanked the XUV 500 gentleman, who followed me upto Kumarghat junction, where we took left turn towards Shillong and he took right turn.

The Patharkandi>Karimganj section in AS was terrible. Road condition improved only after Badarpur, AS. After entering ML, roads became good all the way to Ladybird Shillong, where we reached at 9:45 pm. We had biscuits, chikkies and dried fruits for dinner and slept. The ambient temperature was 4 deg C. Thankfully, they provided us with a room heater.

On 31/01/2019 morning, we enjoyed an excellent buffet breakfast at Ladybird. Cashew nut-strewn poha was the best. Our original programme was to spend atleast a couple of hours at the nearby Police Bazaar for shopping. But, I decided to check out in the morning itself, foregoing our shopping, so that we could reach Ginger Bhubaneswar earlier, which was a blunder, we came to know later as we were stopped at Kokrajhar, AS for more than 3 hours due to a snap strike. Blue Diamond had a tankful of diesel, costing ₹ 63.28, the lowest in this trip. We stopped at Umiam Lake, clicked some pics and continued our drive. We crossed Guwahati and Bongaigaon without any problem. We were stopped by AS cops at Kokrajhar after Bongaigaon at 1:30 pm for 3½ hours, citing dawn-to-dusk bundh call given by Bodo movement people. While we were forced to take rest on the highway, many people chatted with me. Owner-drivers of TN/PB/AS-registered Figo/Creta/Dzire chatted with me. Some were waiting here since 6 am. I slept for an hour or so. We walked up to the nearby police outpost, used the bathroom and had biscuits for lunch. We were allowed to proceed only at 5 pm. Everybody raced, overtaking each other in hurry. After a few minutes, we saw the same AS-registered Dzire, badly damaged due to an accident and its two lady passengers injured, who were shifted to the ambulance. With a sad heart, we continued our drive.

We had our dinner at 8:30 pm, comprising rotis, paneer butter masala [PBM] and tea at a road-side dhaba at Nimti Domahani, WB, where many cars were parked. The food and service were good. We continued our drive via Hasimara and Dhupguri and reached the barricaded entry to Dhantola-Botolbori road in small hours of 01/02/2019. Some cops were there. I requested the cops to open the barricade so that we could pass through, for which they warned me that the road was bad. I told them that I drove on that road during my up journey and I knew the road conditions. Only the first 350 m were full of craters and undulations, then the road was good although narrow and twisty. Then, they opened the barricade and allowed me to pass through. Every junction of Dhantola-Botolbori road was illuminated with high-mast lights and barricaded with policemen guarding. After seeing us, they opened the barricade to make way for us without any query.

We reached Farakka Barrage bridge at 3:30 am on 01/02/2019, where very few vehicles were in queue. We waited for half hour to get our turn - I used it for much-needed power nap - and then allowed to proceed. But, on the other side, i.e., from Moregram to Malda, lorries queued up to a few km long. Blue Di had a tankful near Moregram at a Reliance pump on the LHS and used their clean bathroom for ablution. We brunched at Shere Punjab, Kolaghat at 12 noon, comprising rotis, PBM, dahi vada and tea and continued our drive.

We arrived at 6:30 pm on 01/02/2019 at Ginger Bhubaneswar. After checking in, unpacking and hot shower, we headed to Priya, Jayadev Vihar for a delicious dinner of poori with potato, tomato soup and veg biryani and returned to Ginger for a well-earned rest. On 02/02/2019, we slept again after a nice buffet breakfast. Checked out at 1 pm and drove again to Priya for lunch. We left Priya at 2:30 pm. We had dinner at our favourite Sri Sairam Tiffins, Maddilapalem, Vizag comprising sambar idlies and filter coffee and continued our drive to Bangalore.

We reached Indian Paratha Company, Devanahalli by 2:30 pm on 03/02/2019 via Kadiri and Bagepalli on MDR/SH/NH. We had paneer tikka parathzza, gobhi paratha, buttermilk and masala tea and packed some more parathas for the family. We reached home, sweet home at Basaveswara Nagar, Bangalore at 4:30 pm safely and successfully. No puncture. No breakdown. No accident. No problem whatsoever. I am grateful to Blue Diamond for this successful completion of Chennai>Bangalore drive via AP, OD, WB, AS, ML, MZ, TR and Myanmar without any problem. I am also thankful to all, who have expressed their appreciation and compliments and pressed 'thanks' and 'like' buttons.

Travelogue concluded.
DSC00264.JPG DSC00266.JPG DSC00267.JPG DSC00269.JPG DSC00270.JPG MID 30012019.jpg DSC00277.JPG DSC00279.JPG DSC00280.JPG DSC00282.JPG DSC00283.JPG IMG_6607.JPG IMG_6609.JPG MID 01022019.jpg DSC00290.JPG DSC00299.JPG DSC00305.JPG DSC00306.JPG DSC00309.JPG DSC00312.JPG DSC00313.JPG DSC00314.JPG DSC00315.JPG MID 03022019.jpg Food Bills.jpg RouteMap.jpg NE2019ITINERARY.jpg NE2019STAY.jpg TollPaid.jpg NE2019FE.jpg

Top Bottom