Easily Avoidable Mistakes in Car Care

Thread Starter #1
Starting this thread to share some easily avoidable mistakes that people do when it comes to car care.

1)If your car is overheating the first sign would be the temp gauge, anything above the middle mark is not good.The needle should always be a hair below the middle mark.It it goes over there is something wrong and some part of of the cooling system is not doing its job properly.Get the system looked at immediately.If this happens on the road, stop and let the engine cool down.

2)CV Boots:These are the boots that cover the axles. Since they are made of rubber the tend to dry up and tear after a certain period.
The axle consists of a CV(constant velocity)joint.Constant-velocity joints are protected by a rubber boot/CV gaiter. Cracks and splits in the boot will allow contaminants in, which would cause the joint to wear quickly.
Replacing the boots is a relatively cheaper option than neglecting it till your axle separates.The bigger the car the more expensive the axle.
Ps:The picture is for illustration purposes only.The size and type of axle will be different for different cars.The purpose will be the same.

3)Wiper blades:These tend to harden during the summer hear.It is good to have two sets, one to use through out the year and the other during the rains.This helps avoid nasty scratches on the windshields.

These are the few "stitch in time saves nine" kind of repairs that I can think off right away.

I will be adding more as I go.

Request all the other members to do the same.

Thanks.

Attachments

Fazer

Suspended
mmm...Whenever you hear some "Cree cree" sound while braking (it may be due to water during rainy season, wash, etc also), better get the brake pads checked/Changed.

Also, Check the BRAKE FLUID while leaving for a long trip (TSIVipul, eh?) or you may have a mishap!

Thread Starter #3
Yes that's right.That sound is due to the pads lining touching the brake discs.

If you keep driving in such conditions the brake discs will deform are you might have to get them surfaced or worse changed.

It is always advisable to check all the fluid levels and condition of brakes and tyres before a long journey.

Fazer

Suspended
@Jarpickle - Change the thread Title to "Easily avoidable mistakes in Car"..
It will be more simple, unlike now..it is a bit confusing.
Hope it will gain more replies and attention of TAI'ns..[:D]

Thread Starter #5
@Fazer:The thread is about caring for your car.

I feel a lot of people are running their car to the ground and then spending time worrying about the hefty bills that come their way.

Last edited:

Fazer

Suspended
Right..Yes. You are right.

One More : If you have upsized your Wheels/Tyres.. Make sure you bent the Wheel whell outside if you travel in Full Load..As the wheels might touch the wheel well leading to damage of Suspension, Car body as well as tyres.

Fazer

Suspended
And..
One more - When you add some LEDs/Other stuff to the car body which need drilling in the car.. Do paint the holes as they will cause rusting in the car body.

Fazer

Suspended
Always check the correct tyre pressure while travelling (Keep a Tyre Inflator with you) to get better mileage.

Nice thread Jarpickle.

While parking car, even for short durations, please have an eye on the tyres. Sometimes we tend to park on uneven roads where the tyre bottom is sitting half on a pot hole/ sharp edge of a stone or sidewalls are rubbed against footpath sides.

If you have a air horn, cover it with plastic cover whenever you are getting it washed at a service center. Disc type horns dont have this issue

worst mistake I have done with my old Alto was when I tried to travel in an water logged under pass in bangalore.

Alternate route was some 5-6 kms long and some other vehicles were relently going.
Water came inside the cabin and carpet become wet.

Had really hard time in drying it. :(

Thread Starter #14
There are plug holes at the bottom.You open them and let the water drain.

Then start drying.

Once done, spread some newspapers to absorb water off the matting.

Fazer

Suspended
Aah, One moere - While starting the car (with headlights on, and the car is stopped while driving), do turn the Head lights OFF before starting again..Will help your Battery live Longer! [:D]

Top Bottom