Dull Windshield. Should I Replace or Not?

Thread Starter #1
My car is TATA indigo of April-2008 make. My front windshield is soo dull that am feeling uncomfort in night driving due to high beam comming from the opposite vehicles. I visited TATA service station today, they recomended me to change the wind shield which cost arround Rs 7000/-.
1.Is the life of a windshield last just less than 4 years.
2.Is there any other way to make it work without spending much on it.
Please Help. Thanks

Re: Dull windshield

No the life of the windshield is not 4 years! Can you post some pictures of your windshield? What's the reason service center people gave?

If there is no other go and if you don't mind losing NCB you can claim insurance , nowadays TATA offers 100% claim for glasses.

Thread Starter #3

Definitely i'll post them tomorrow by clicking some. Initially i went to service station to check my head lights as I thought the head lights got dim. Mechanic took a trail (@ arround 6:30PM) and said the windshield is to be replaced and lights are perfect.

Am least bother about NCB(against Rs:7000).
Am a new driver and not aware of a policy. I will be thankfull to you if you explain me the details of my policy:

Car Make:TATA IndigoCS LS TDI
Year :2008
IDV :3,00,000.00
Premium : 8,484.00(Excluding service tax)

1.Can i get refund 100% every time i claim for insurance.
2.If i claim, this will be the first time.

Well okay but still can you ask them what is the reason for the change? If its due to some manufacturing defect you can very well ask them for a free replacement because there is no particular lifetime for a windshield.

With which company you have taken a policy? If its TATA AIG then no hassles you can make a cashless claim.

Yes you will get 100% each time you make a claim for glass alone but not sure if there are any terms and conditions like allowed only once or twice a year.

If you have decided to make a claim tell your service center guys that you will claim insurance and change it. They will guide with you with the rest of the process , nothing much just filling of a form and taking a photocopy of your RC book and insurance papers. Also inform your insurance agent that you are making a claim and give them a detailed explanation.

But be prepared to be without the car for a week though!

Windshields can appear dull if you use bore well water to clean them,just try using some good glass cleaners from both sides,probably that should solve the problem

There could be many reasons for the windshields to have specks and marks. Bore well water or hard water. Muddy water while cleaning. Cleaning windshield after many days etc.
But it should be covered under insurance. Get it checked and see if you can claim insurance on it.

There is no specifically defined life of windshield. It all depends on how it is maintained. Excessive dry wipes often causes scratches and marks which in long term, hinders the visibility.
My Indigo (2004) had to undergo windshield change after 5yrs while my City(late 2006) is not showing any signs of fading till date.

Car windshield maintenance tips ? Mine is turning dull

Hello Guys,

Have any of you used WD40 to clean a dull windshield.

Some suggest using toothpaste :).

My front windshield seems dull and very difficult to drive during the night due to any headlights from oncoming traffic. Any ideas as to how i can clean it ? Home remedies ?

Thanks

Re: Car windshield maintenance tips ? Mine is turning dull

WD40 is normally used in metal parts to remove rust. It is used in corrosion prevention and therefore only for metal parts.

For windshield, try household glass cleaner 'colin'.

Clean the wind shield and wiper blades daily.

WD40 is normally used in metal parts to remove rust. It is used in corrosion prevention and therefore only for metal parts.

For windshield, try household glass cleaner 'colin'.

Clean the wind shield and wiper blades daily.
I am facing the same problem too. I have already tried colin but no use. The cause of the problem in my case seems to be the borewell water which I use to wash my car(no alternative). So could you please suggest any other product.

Colins etc have all been tired. If ive comeas far as WD-40 imagine. And yes im aware of WD40 being used primarily for lubrication and protection and releasing jammed parts.

But i was looking for other alternatives to actually replacing the glass. Even tried toothpaste. Now the car seems to have shiny molars. But still no luck with the windshield.

Firt use clay bar and remove all impurities, oil from glass.

Then apply paste carnauba wax, I hope you know how to apply wax. Waxed glass tend to attract lots of dust. So use quality shampoo for next 2-3 washes, wax will vanish leaving pristine spot free glass. Formula 1 wax will do, you don't need long lasting high end wax, that will only make your job tougher. For me this works, I have observed regular cheapo wax contains mild abrasives.

Clean glass from inside using water from your home water purifier and newspaper.

If above doesn't work then you may need white vinegar and polish/compound for glass, that will minimize damage including wiper marks etc. Go to 3M etc.

Whats a clay bar ? Seriously havent heard. Sounds like a cosmetic product though. Is it car specific ? Or should i look for this in a supermarket ?

Hey Thanks anyways. Sorry for being naive about the clay bar but i googled it up. I think they dont sell this in India. But its available online from abundant sources. Ill order one and give it a try. If you know of 3m india selling clay bars do let me know.

Thanks

Top Bottom