DSLR Vs Mirrorless Camera Debate: I Bought Sony NEX-5R Mirrorless Camera

Thread Starter #1
I dedicate my newly acquired mirrorless Sony NEX-5R camera and this thread to my beloved late father, who taught me the basics of photography. He used to develop B/W films and make prints at home in a make-shift-dark-room; forty years ago in a small village! Yes, he was a science teacher. He also owned cameras like Agfa Click-III, Zenith, Olympus, Pentax and finally a Yashica-FX3 SLR.

From my side, I had bought film cameras Kodak KB-10 (took a superb photo so quickly during my baby daughter's first ever raid on the Fridge) & Samsung Fino 800, Digicams Sony DSC-W50 (in 2006 with Carl Zeiss Lens) and Fuji S2500HD Prosumer Camera (in 2011 with 18X optical zoom). I was not happy with the average image quality of this Fuji. A month back I started out wanting a better ultra-zoom prosumer camera, entered the DSLR territory and last week bought a mirrorless Sony NEX-5R Compact System Camera (CSC).

If you want to spend Rs.23K or more on a digital camera, you most likely would benefit by reading this post. I am in no way related to Sony / Canon / Nikon etc.

Want good Image Quality? Get a better Image Sensor:
The image quality comes from sensor size and not from the number of mega pixels. For a given sensor size, bigger pixel will reduce the number of mega pixels per sensor but will allow more light to be captured, leading to better images. And, the number of mega pixels result in detail of the captured image. So do not fall for a 16MP, 18MP or 41MP camera with a small sensor. Here’s a little comparison of the sensor sizes:
Sensors.jpg
So, if a friend says that his Nokia 808/1020 takes superb pictures when compared to most Digicams, better believe it; the two Nokias ARE that good. But, if an overexcited friend says these Nokias take better pictures than Nikon 1 or M43 cameras or DSLRs, say “cheese”. BTW, APS-C stands for Advanced Photo System type-C.

DSLRs – Options and Confusions Galore:
The latest DSLRs with APS-C sensor were found thro’ this web link: The best recent entry-level DSLRs and the listed prices were good. I was surprised that the 50X binoculars (Canon Sx50HS and Sony HX300) are priced at Rs.25-29K, so close to entry level DSLRs. I was about to fall for the Binocs. With a budget of around Rs40K, the shortlisted DSLRs were:

Canon 1100D with Kit Lens : Rs. 23K
Canon 1100D with Dual lenses : Rs. 25 – 29K
Nikon D3200 with Kit Lens : Rs. 32K
Nikon D5100 with Kit Lens : Rs. 32K
Sony Alpha A58 with Kit lens : Rs. 32K
Canon 600D with Kit Lens : Rs. 34K
Nikon D5200 with Kit Lens : Rs. 43K
Canon EOS 100D with Kit Lens : Rs. 47K (also known as Rebel SL1)

In general the Canons don’t come close to Nikons, as per various reviews and test results that I went thro’. So Nikon D5100 became the choice, with its articulating screen. But then, the Sony A58 seemed a better choice, after reaching “Sony A58 Review -- Image Quality Comparison” in Sony A58 Review - Overview. Look out for the “bottle crop”, “mosaic”, “red fabric swatch” and text details. This review also mentioned a certain “Sony NEX-6” and I made a mental note, but decided to go ahead with Sony A58 w.r.to Image Quality, based on a few other reviews like Sony Alpha A58 Digital Camera Review - Reviewed.com Cameras and also the fact that A58 is a 2013 model as against the 2011 Nikon D5100. OR should I take the D5200, which is Oct 2012 model?

I spent some time on OLX to feel the used DSLR market. This threw an interesting fact: enough people are selling their DSLRs within the first year! Another mental note and I moved onto physically feel the DSLRs. Boy oh boy, these DSLRs are HUGE in hand (compared to our old Yashica-FX3) and bloody intimidating the passers-by. That smallish Fuji S2500HD attracted enough attention. I knew I won’t enjoy walking with these big boy DSLRs. I just walked out; shall I give up my quest for better image quality?

Alternate Choices:
This site, Search the site | Cameralabs mentioned DSLRs and Mirrorless Compact System Cameras (CSC), in the same breath and opened my eyes to a world unknown to me till then. These CSCs provide superior Image Quality than compact and premium compact digital cameras, by employing even APS-C sensors or a slightly smaller Micro Four Third sensors (see the Sensor size table). I was helped by Mirrorless cameras to isolate my pick, which was Sony NEX-6. The micro four thirds were rejected after viewing plenty of full size images and comparing them with APS-C images. Moreover, the NEX-6 has an electronic viewfinder (both my digicams Sony W50 and S2500HD have viewfinders and I always used them – a habit from Yashica-FX3 and Film camera days). After reading more online reviews, the NEX-6 seemed the better bet. A visit to Sony Center at Rajajinagar Bangalore proved that I was not comfortable with NEX-6 viewfinder, in spite of the diopter adjustment (I wear reading glasses; for more choices with CSCs, those who cannot breathe without a viewfinder may check out this site: Mirrorless cameras with a viewfinder).

In the meantime I came across Mr.Trey Ratcliff at Hello Sony. Goodbye Nikon. The Story of why I am Switching from Nikon to Sony. explaining why of late he has ditched DSLRs. He uses NEX-7 and I didn’t want to spend THAT much money on NEX-7. I am NOT THAT passionate.

My Final Choice:
A quick revisit to the site below proved that NEX-5R and NEX-6 are at par when it comes to Image Quality (overall 78):
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side. This site Compact Camera Meter showed me the size advantage of the NEX-5R (with 16-50mm kit lens) over my Fuji and Nikon D5100 DSLR (with 18-55mm kit lens). That was the last straw and I just ordered NEX-5R on “ebay.in” on 6th Sep 2013 (for Rs.34.7K as against Rs.39K at Sony center) and got delivery on 13th Sep 2013. Below are the photos of my three Digicams. The top view shot reveals the narrow waistline of this NEX-5R. And THIS has an APS-C Image sensor.

3Cams_1.jpg

3Cams_2.jpg

Presently fiddling with the NEX-5R and very satisfied specially with its crisp pictures and low light performance. The very first photo on my NEX-5R was taken with just one overhead 11W CFL. A re-sized image and a crop of the original image are given below:

DSC00001.jpg
DSC00001 Crop.jpg

The size of the original image is 4.68MB and the focusing is on the face of Lord Karthik. Will upload more pictures and my own review, once I read the manual fully and understand the camera and its operation.

My Suggestions:
For “Zoom and only Zoom” types: If anyone told me to stay clear of the 18X fuji back in 2011, I would have buried them. Seeing me with the Fuji, five of my friends ended up with super zooms from Fuji, Canon and Nikon (NONE of us are happy with the images). IF you want Zoom and only Zoom, choose Canon Sx50HS or Sony HX300 as you please. You won’t be disappointed as long as your objective is not to print beyond A4 size and not to pixel peek (view beyond 100% magnification).

For “DSLR IS my DREAM” types: IF you cannot live without a viewfinder, need a flipping screen, want very good Image Quality, want to build more muscles in arms, strengthen your back by lugging heavy equipment, want to look serious and professional (but NOT a PRO), want to intimidate your subjects and silence them, DLSRs are meant for YOU. Just buy either a Sony Alpha SLT-A58 (ranked at 55 in DXO marks) or Nikon D5100 (ranked at 31 in DXO marks) or the costly D5200 (ranked at 12 in DXO marks). Stay clear of all those Canons below Rs.50K and Panasonic DMC-G series. If you do not want the flippy screen, the Nikon D3200 with its 24MP goodness is for you. See where they stand in DXOmarks below: DxOMark - Camera Sensor Ratings

For “Quality but on Compact Body” types: If you want all those in the para above but without the weight lifting routine and no requirement to look like a Pro (err.. requirement to intimidate [:D]) but want to feel comfortable with a slim CSC, choose NEX-7, NEX-6 (with viewfinder, but w/o touch screen) or NEX-5R (w/o viewfinder, but with touch screen) or NEX-3N (Rs.25-27K online). Just ensure that you get the latest NEX with the 16-50mm Power Zoom kit lens and not the older and bulkier 18-55mm kit lens. Living abroad opens the doors for Olympus OMD and Fuji X series. All these are Inter-changeable Lens Cameras (ILC). Meaning, as and when you get money, you can buy ZOOM Lenses and beat those ZOOM ZOOM Binocs guys. Stay clear of the Nikon 1 (1” sensor), Panasonic DMC-G series (M43 sensor) and the APS-C based Canon EOS M & Samsung NX line.

For “There isn't anything smaller? Types: If CSC is thicker for you, but still insist on Image Quality, the super pocket-able Sony Rx-100 (Rs.30K) is for you. Or you could buy a Nokia 808/1020 phones if you are OK with the mobile OSs. But please do not try to convince the world that the Nokias are better than the RX100.

For “Smaller but THE ultimate” types: If you have money, you want extreme portability AND the best Image Quality, the Sony Rx-1 with its full frame sensor but priced around Rs. 1.7 Lacs is for you.

For “Its necessary and I am not that passionate” types: Those of you looking for digicams from 7K to Rs.25K may get more ideas while starting with this site The lowest priced compacts announced in the last year.

For PROs: You would not be reading this anyway.

Summary:
I selected NEX-5R for its APS-C sensor, compactness, articulated screen, remote operation thro' Android/iOS smart phone, image quality, ISO performance, opportunity to use legacy Nikon/Canon lenses thro' adapters and a few other reasons. Google for "Sony Alpha NEX-5R review" to find more on those reasons. I hope this post helps some to make ideal choices. Thanks for reading this. Good bye and Good luck.

Re: DSLR Vs Mirrorless Camera debate : I bought the Sony NEX-5R Mirrorless Camera

Very nice and informative article indeed.... Searched the NEX-5R review and woh !!!

I'm definitely leaving under the rock and dreaming about Canon's EOS-M for price to fall, Huh !

I got some question,

1. What do you meant FLASH (in a Box) at the 2nd picture ? Never seen these, also like to know NEX-5R comes inbuilt pop up flash ? Or any flash comes in the box just like Canon's EOS-M.

2. Your NEX-5R comes by default 16-50mm lens or you acquired it ? Can you provide the Aperture Range of the lens.

3. as you mentioned 'opportunity to use legacy Nikon/Canon lenses thro' adapters'...Is that adopter available easily ? Is that adopter can take Canon EF and EF-S lenses too ? (asking this I own two Canon EF lenses other than kit EF-S 18-55 basic, Can I use them with this cam ?)

4. Also I like to know, Canon 100D belongs to which family ? Is that a mirror less too ?

5.How fast the AF system of NEX-5R comparing DSLR's ? Can you provide any shot of moving object ?

Thank in advance.

Thread Starter #3
Re: DSLR Vs Mirrorless Camera debate : I bought the Sony NEX-5R Mirrorless Camera

1. What do you meant FLASH (in a Box) ...

2. ...16-50mm lens or you acquired it ? ... the Aperture Range ...

3. as you mentioned 'opportunity to use legacy Nikon/Canon lenses thro' adapters'...Is that adopter available easily ? Is that adopter can take Canon EF and EF-S lenses too ?...

4. Also I like to know, Canon 100D belongs to which family ? ...

5.How fast the AF system of NEX-5R comparing DSLR's ? Can you provide any shot of moving object ?

Thank in advance.
With my limited knowledge, I'd attempt to give correct answers:
0. STAY AWAY from Canon EOS-M. Net is full of dejected owners and reviewers. If you still want to buy that, send me the money and I'll give you my 2006 model Sony W50 (w/o battery) ! The Carl Zeiss lens takes decent pictures you know.
1. The Flash is detachable and comes in its own tiny box thro' which it can be attached to the shoulder strap. Just to ensure that one doesn't forget at home. Its tiny and has a guide number of 5m at ISO100 (Ithink).
2. The 16-50 PZ lens came with the Cam. I had my fingers crossed and relieved to see it in the Box! For a kit lens the F number is 3.5 to 5.6, which is standard I feel.
3. you'd find these adapters in e-bay, amazon etc. I'm thinking of "fotodiox" adapter. Limitation is, these ADPT don't give you aperture control thro' the Camera setting [cry]. You have to use Manual Aperture settings and Manual focussing. Ideal for Prime and Zoom lenses with an aperture ring. Basically lenses for the good old Film based SLRs. Not tried yet, but am droooooling at the thought of it. Back to my Yashica days [clap]
4. Canon 100D is supposed to be the smallest APS-C DSLR. Got 78% score here Canon EOS 100D/Rebel SL1 Review: Digital Photography Review
5. I am playing with the manual focus, with the cool "focus peaking feature" on the screen. So I am not ready to comment on the AF speed, vis-a-vis entry/mid level DSLRs. I may try moving subjects (panning shot) on Sunday. Shouldn't be a problem I guess.

From my side:
Almost Invisible: Shot a few shots sitting in front of my daughter, with the LCD tilted 90deg up facing me. She did not know I took her pictures. Pictures were so natural with my daughter heavily into animated talk.

Observation: Better leave it to the AF (not MF) for targets within 5 ft AND on Aperture priority mode. If the subjects move even by a cm by the time the shutter is released, one gets slightly out-of-focus subjects, as I found out today.

@ vijay

I have a Sony nex 5 camera with me . Extremely happy with it . I bought that last year in feb .

Thread Starter #5
Was scratching a lot to locate Histogram view; even feared that its not on NEX-5R. Finally located it yesterday under "Menu --- Camera --- Display" and enabled it. Histogram view helps to adjust the exposure compensation. This avoids under / over exposure of pictures. This link here will help understand a lot: Glossary: Histogram: Digital Photography Review.
Yet to try the remote operation (exposure/shutter control and viewing shot taken on phone thro' Wi-Fi) though I've already downloaded the remote app from PlayStore. BUT, SONY demands me to access this web page https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/ from devices other than the NEX (even with its 3" screen), create an a/c and blah blah blah. I guess I've saved some money in not needing an IR remote. Funny thing is the top of the line NEX-7 is not supported. Does it not have Wi-Fi ?
@ vijay
I have a Sony nex 5 camera with me ...
@ Raja
Fantastic Guruji. Please share your experiences and observations on different camera settings on NEX5 so that people like me benefit right from here TAI. What image editor you use for RAW files? I'm still shooting in JPEG only. Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Yesterday being a full moon day, took a few shots of moon, with the 16mm to 50mm kit lens! For a generic KIT lens, the performance is not bad at all. I wonder what the NEX would do with a zoom lens? A 100% cropped image ( ISO 400; F/16; 0.01"; no exp. compensation with a focal length of 50mm) of one the shots is here:

DSC00088.jpg

Then, shot the colony opposite to my house, close to 9:15PM. Though the focus is not crisp the shot has come reasonable well for ISO 3200 setting, with grass looking "grass green"; Other details of the image are F/5; 0.8"; No exp. compensation and a focal length of 30mm. You can make out a person on cycle at the far end of the road. The resized image is below:

DSC00094.jpg

Any suggestions from experts for improvement ?

Thread Starter #7
Scheduled load shedding in north B'lore today from 10AM to 6PM.
Result? Sunday became more relaxed day.
In the evening went up to terrace with the NEX-5R (as per Sony, it is 5RL; L for the 16-50mm kit zoom lens.
Had just enough light to do a flare test on the kit lens (I hope evening time is OK). Th results are: DSC00131.jpg
and
DSC00133.jpg .
There is no visible flare in either of the pics. Could it be due to the evening Sun or the new kit lens is really that good ? The APSs-C sensor is pretty good at dynamic range too.

Also clicked a few more with fading light. They are:
DSC00152.jpg
and
DSC00156.jpg .
The eagles shot was taken after enabling the "continuous autofocus". A cropped image with just the two eagles is
DSC00156 - Crop.JPG .
And, the eagles are NOT at center [clap]. For a kit lens, the feathers are clearly visible, at 6:15PM in fading light!
@Arijitb :
I hope this is some sort of answer for your question on the (hybrid) autofocus.
The JPEG photos are untouched and straight out of camera and are ONLY resized for TAI and cropped (X% for the sky shot and 100% for the eagles shot).

Thanks for uploading here, Second Picture is the best one.

A well thought out Silhouette composition.

Hi Vijay_968,

last year I bought Sony HX200V, the so called Semi DSLR after graduating from Nikon Coolpix. Like you, I am also a great fan of compacts do not have plans to buy a range of professional lenses of DSLRs. I want a SLR with probably one/two set of lenses to the max. In the filed of photography I am an amateur. I liked the look and feel of Sony Alpha A3000 over the conventional branded DSLRs from Nikon, Canon etc. Can you pls suggest a good lense combination for Alpha A3000 which I can use for multipurpose use like zoom photography/normal photography, Day/Night photography etc. in case I have to keep only one lense.

Thread Starter #10
Hi Vijay_968,

......I want a SLR with probably one/two set of lenses to the max....Sony Alpha A3000 .... Can you pls suggest a good lens combination for Alpha A3000 ... in case I have to keep only one lens.
Hi saideb79,
The E-mount based Sony Alpha A3000 (aka ILCE-3000k) seems to be a good prospect, compared to even some earlier DSLR models. Thanks to you, I really enjoyed reading this nice review on A3000 Sony Alpha 3000 review | Photoclubalpha. and the hilarious world war between two groups on A3000 at Sony A3000..what a joke..just played with it at Sony Store.: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. Just see the sheer number of comments and pages on this dpreview thread! God, so many are envious on missing out on this cute little A3000.

With the modern APS-C sensor in A3000, the night time images will never be a problem. As the kit covers 18-55mm, you can buy the Sony SEL55210 (55-210mm; F/4.5-6.3) zoom lens for Rs.20K (two lens combo). If you want to use only one lens (do not forget to sell the kit lens), then the Tamron Di III VC (18-200mm F/3.5-6.3) for Rs 40-42K or Sony's SEL55210 (18-200mm; F/3.5-6.3 zoom lens) for Rs. 50K are available (this is NO typo). Check this site for more Sony E Lenses options
E-mount Lens : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony India

Welcome my friend, to the world of DSLR image quality AND the reach in the form of zoom lens. Precisely this is what the Camera manufacturers want from us suckers! What have I done for lenses on budget? Ordered Legacy “Canon FD” manual Focus (two Primes and one 200mm Zoom) Lenses and FD-NEX adapters on eBay (evil bay seems to be cheaper than the amazon jungle). Awaiting the arrival of the Three Musketeers. That’s another story for a later post. 12K is peanuts for the [:D] I'm going to have on the primes (hope it is not [frustration] on the zoom).

Last edited:
Hi saideb79,
The E-mount based Sony Alpha A3000 (aka ILCE-3000k) seems to be a good prospect, compared to even some earlier DSLR models. Thanks to you, I really enjoyed reading this nice review on A3000 Sony Alpha 3000 review | Photoclubalpha. and the hilarious world war between two groups on A3000 at Sony A3000..what a joke..just played with it at Sony Store.: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review. Just see the sheer number of comments and pages on this dpreview thread! God, so many are envious on missing out on this cute little A3000.
Thanks Buddy! I was almost zeroed down on A3000, now I think I should restart my search[thinking].

With the modern APS-C sensor in A3000, the night time images will never be a problem. As the kit covers 18-55mm, you can buy the Sony SEL55210 (55-210mm; F/4.5-6.3) zoom lens for Rs.20K (two lens combo). If you want to use only one lens (do not forget to sell the kit lens), then the Tamron Di III VC (18-200mm F/3.5-6.3) for Rs 40-42K or Sony's SEL55210 (18-200mm; F/3.5-6.3 zoom lens) for Rs. 50K are available (this is NO typo). Check this site for more Sony E Lenses options
E-mount Lens : Interchangeable Lens Camera : Sony India
Atleast now I can say that two must have lenses combo are 18-55mm for normal use and 55-210mm Zoom lense. Correct me If am wrong.

Welcome my friend, to the world of DSLR image quality AND the reach in the form of zoom lens. Precisely this is what the Camera manufacturers want from us suckers! What have I done for lenses on budget? Ordered Legacy “Canon FD” manual Focus (two Primes and one 200mm Zoom) Lenses and FD-NEX adapters on eBay (evil bay seems to be cheaper than the amazon jungle). Awaiting the arrival of the Three Musketeers. That’s another story for a later post. 12K is peanuts for the I'm going to have on the primes (hope it is not [frustration] on the zoom).
Not yet, will wait and find a suitable SLR body. Pls help me on this part also:help:. As you already understood my purpose pls suggest something more advanced than Sony DSC HX200V Point and shoot which is my current possession.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Not yet, will wait and find a suitable SLR body. Pls help me on this part also:help:. As you already understood my purpose pls suggest something more advanced than Sony DSC HX200V Point and shoot which is my current possession.
Oops, you're into that classic 'less or more zoom' and 'Prosumer or DSLR' nightmarish struggle buddy. Let us first look at the problem from the Zoom angle.
1. How often one needs to use the zoom lens and is using the zoom limiting your creativity (in a M43 or DSLR camera) ?
2. Are people really impressed with the photos taken at medium to full zoom (in a 1/2.3" sensor camera), hand-held ?
3. Why do the Pros normally mount the DSLR on a Tripod when a long zoom lens is attached ?
4. Having bought a DSLR and a good Zoom lens (sans a tripod), why so many enthusiasts normally do not use zoom?
Spend some quality time on the net, and you'll have your answer. Me and my good friend A.Rajkumar bought decent mega-zooms in early 2011, but were unhappy with images taken at medium to telephoto range. The Canon SX50 at full tele-zoom, is equivalent to 1200 mm on a 35mm film camera! On a DSLR/DSLT, one may need the use of a zoom with ~200mm focal length. This, on a APS-C sensor with a 1.5 crop factor will result in a 300mm equivalent on a 35mm film camera and on a M43, will be like a 400mm equivalent. Impressive figures for the 50X super-zoom. Stop stop, just see the little comparo on the max size of photo prints between the Canon SX50 and the entry level Sony NEX-3N DSLT (the bigger size prints):
ISO 200-----16"x20"------30" x 40"
ISO 800------ 8"x10"-------20" x 30"
ISO 1600----- 5"x7"--------13" x 19"
(Source Canon SX50 Review: Express Review and Sony NEX-3N Review - Overview)
I never print that big size, but seen the Fuji results on a 42" TV and banged my head a number of times (chuckle). Whereas my very first photo with NEX-5R (photo of all the Gods in opening post, taken at auto ISO of 3200) looks very nice on same TV.So most super-zooms are nothing but a sensor with BIG monocular. And do not fall for the 30X / 50X / 60X marketing misnomers given to the mega zooms.

Obviously now lets move onto the sensor size: Rajkumar's hand was almost on my throat, when I decided first on the 'PowerShot SX50 HS' and later the 'Panasonic DMC G5'. If he held a gun, he would have let one go [gun]hissing past my ear every time I asked 'what bloody DSLR'. He kept pushing me towards DSLR all the time, ever since I wanted to upgrade. Thanks to him, I fianlly understood the advantage of DSLR. I took the APS-C concept of DSLR and went for mirrorless with an APS-C. May be that very same compactness of the A3000 is what made you notice it.

Finally to the suggestions: Please go through my suggestions in the opening post. Decide which category you belong to (or your needs are) and make your right choice. If those do not satisfy you, and the A3000 is still bothering you, I would say WAIT, as you've bought your superzoom only one year back. The net community expects Sony to launch an upgrade (A5000 ??) pretty soon packaging a bit more than in A3000. A titling screen, a better EVF and a few more controls and probably Wi-Fi may be packaged in that. These are the reasons I didn't buy the A3000. As you are waiting, you could buy a good Tripod (Sony has one for Rs.2K) and try your HX200V at medium telephoto range and at ISO 200 - 400. If you are able to wait for 4-6 months and decide on a DSLR, go thro' "The best recent entry-level DSLR" link in my opening post and build upon from there. You can also ask the experts in TAI's own DSLR thread http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/gadgets-more/1433-dslr-information-thread-12.html.

Whatever you buy, ensure that it will keep you happy for at least 4-5 years.

Oops, you're into that classic 'less or more zoom' and 'Prosumer or DSLR' nightmarish struggle buddy. Let us first look at the problem from the Zoom angle.
1. How often one needs to use the zoom lens and is using the zoom limiting your creativity (in a M43 or DSLR camera) ?
2. Are people really impressed with the photos taken at medium to full zoom (in a 1/2.3" sensor camera), hand-held ? ........Whatever you buy, ensure that it will keep you happy for at least 4-5 years.
Thank you very much Vijay_968. Would definitely wait as suggested by you and see what A 5000 has to offer. By the way visited Croma store yesterday near by my place and tried my hands on some of the famous Nikon DSLRs with basic 18-55MM lense kit and found to be impressive. Moreover, as claimed by Sony, the A 3000 is not that compact as compared to the regular DSLRs.

Thanks once again for your genuine suggestions.

Thread Starter #14
What do I find interesting in Sony's Alpha NEX seriess ? Plenty !

Couldn't sleep so thought of spending time usefully.

The 16-50mm Kit lens that came with the NEX-5R is no match to the Manual focus Legacy Lenses I had acquired. BTW, where's my kit lens ? Not seen it for the past 5-6 weeks. All these Legacy Glasses were chosen after careful study and going thro' a lot of forum discussions. Collectively they cost me less than Rs. 18K. These lenses are:
1. Canon FD 50mm F/1.4 SSC
2. Chrome tipped Canon FD 28mm F/3.5
3. Olympus Zuiko Auto-W 28mm F/2.8
4. M42 mount Vivitar 135mm F/2.8 (Komine made)
5. Canon FD mount Carl Zeiss Jena 80-200mm F/4.5-5.6 Zoom lens

These lenses and the smallish camera have kept me happily busy. In Dec 2013, during a training program, inside a college campus, I made a left turn, and saw my friend ahead of me. The Camera came out and I could record this nice moment, in B/W, in spite of a manual focus lens mounted.
DSC01582-ReSz-EXIF.JPG

Same campus, a foggy morning, a lovely Budha Statue and 100% crop:
DSC01585-ReSz-EXIF.JPG
DSC01585-Crop.JPG
The reflections on Bhudha's cheeks are a bit distracting though. This Canon FD 50mm F/1.4 is a damn good razor sharp lens, even wide open. At F=1.4, you focus on nose, eyes which are 15-20mm behind, are blurred !
TIP: Don't use it for close up shots with narrow aperture. No one likes to see the Moon Craters present in their faces. I deliberately de-focus ever so little, when this is mounted. This lens is great in low light situ's.

As I parked the car, noticed something around the street light, grabbed the NEX from the Dashboard and took some time to get this B/W shot below. Look at the streak of lights in the immediate vicinity of the Street Light.
DSC02150-Crop-ReSz-EXIF.JPG
They are due to bugs flying towards the lamp. The above pic has been cropped to remove the unwanted surroundings.

Driving to Tiruchendur in TN through very good rural roads, came across this view, stopped the car and shot this one below (thro' the windshield):
DSC02266-Crop-ReSz-EXIF.JPG

Next two pics demonstrate the Bokeh characteristics and the real use of a telephoto lens. A Casual glance outside the Kitchen window towards our Utility area gave me a view; and I chose the Vivitar 135mm (Komine make) to record what I saw. The 135mm helped me to isolate the view, thro' the kitchen window. In the 1st pic below, the purple colored one is a body scrubber that lost its binder and was about a foot behind the yellow (I admit I can't name all colors) cloth. The yellow cloth was about 6 feet from me. The green background was about 15 feet beyond the purple one.
DSC02342-Crop-ReSz-EXIF.JPG

Then the focus was on the leaves and see the effect of bokeh from this 30 odd year old Vivitar. Above all the Kitchen Tiles, Stove, cooker, the store room, the kitchen window that were in my peripheral vision, are all gone in the above two shots. THIS, I realised COULD be the CORRECT purpose for a Telephoto Lens.
DSC02345-Crop-ReSz-EXIF.JPG

The next pic was shot, with the tiny Zuiko mounted on the NEX , somewhere between Hosur and Krishnagiri, thro' the windshield as I was driving to Chennai (Fluidic Verna ! Diesel !! Every excuse for a long drive is properly utilised [glasses] Now 23,700 km in 18 months). Before starting the car, I ensure that the aperture, shutter speed, shooting mode, metering, ISO, WB etc are to my liking and the NEX normally hides in the Dash or sits on the front seat. I saw light breaking thro' the clouds, prayed God to give me a chance for a clear shot and He made the Coward Verna run away from the maddening gang of vehicles. Once I was sure I was safe, the NEX was in my hand, a look at the Camera screen and then took 3-4 shots. I really like the picture due to the circumstances. In recent times, the Zuiko has replaced Canon FD 28mm F/3.5 (my earlier favourite during Driving).
DSC02628-Crop-EXIF.JPG
Cropped a bit, as I could not get composition correctly due to driving. Of late, this is my Desktop WP.

The next two are a demo of the power of a good legacy lens inside an auditorium. Under whatever ambient light inside, dropped the shutter speed to 0.25 seconds and shot it hand-held in M Mode (that's why the ISO is 100).
DSC02677-Crop-ReSz-EXIF.JPG

The last pic is a 100% crop of the lower right corner of the one above.
DSC02677-Crop-Crop.JPG

I found it difficult to control focus, using the CZJ zoom lens beyond a focal length of 150mm, without image stabilisation. So the Vivtar 135mm arrived and CZJ sleeps in its bag.
Now answers to the title of today's post:

1 : You buy this NEX line (or whatever Sony likes to call it now-a-days), then collect some fantastic Legacy Glasses from around the Globe ("Buy Now" and/or "Auctions" in some bay.com) for a fraction of the cost one would otherwise invest in modern lenses, if he/she had bought a DSLR.
2 : Due to its smallish nature, as against a DSLR, it is with you most of the times and not inside a cupboard in your house.
3 : Nothing automatic. So one tends to pay attention to the shot and details.
4 : Its unadulterated Fun, using the Manual Glasses is. The Vivitar fell from a height of about 7ft and nothing happened to it; not even paint chipping [clap]. You can't say this about the modern lenses.
5 : You enjoy being bitten by LBA -Lens Buying Addiction- and yet you are not bankrupt. My recent buy, a Canon FD 100mm F/2.8 (bought it for about USD 83 or so on the bay; it is Rs. 40K odd for a good 100mm modern lens) is held by the extremely knowledgeable Bangalore Customs Dept, demanding Rs.17,000+ duty to release it. Is it their brilliance of the DHL's I don't care. I have not bothered to get back to them. I realised I do not have the brain power to talk to all these Nobel laureates.

And, the Zuiko wide angle lens cost me a meager Rs.2000/- and it IS in MINT condition. The Chrome tipped Canon FD 28mm was won for USD 35! And the 135mm Vivtar was USD 14 (+ shipping charges of USD 26) !!

Summary: Want to enjoy shooting pictures, but don't want to spend a fortune on the lenses that make your pics special ??? Go for Mirrorless or find a smallish camera with a very good sensor and a reasonably fast lens. Last but not the least, I've managed to confuse my close friend PK so much, he's been planning to buy a Good Quality Camera since Feb 2014, but hasn't bought yet.[evil]

Note: Some of the photos (of today's session) are cropped for 16:9 aspect ratio and all are resized in PhotoScape. Time to sleep finally. Good night.

Hi Vijay,

I am in the process of buying a point and shoot digital camera. My max budget is 25 - 26 K. I am thinking of Sony HX 300V and Nikon P600. I am really getting confused by reading all the online reviews. Could you please suggest which one will be better?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom