Driving Mitsubishi Gallant: Pittsburg (Kansas) to Manassas (Virginia) - 1932 kms

Thread Starter #1
It’s been almost a month I joined this awesome forum. But was not able to post my Travelogue for my trips in US, due to my workload. But today I had some free time so thought of completing my pending travelogues and sharing it with my awesome friends on TAI.

Pittsburg (Kansas) to Manassas (Virginia)

Total Distance: 1200 miles (1932 kms)
Vehicle: 2002 Mitsubishi Gallant
Total Time: 19 Hours
Total Fuel: $75 (INR 3750) – Dollar was around 50 at that time

So my very first trip was back in 2008 Dec. I came to US in Jan 2008 and was coming back to India in December for my Winter Break. And also I was taking transfer to another college in Virginia. So this trip was a superfast, my schedule was really hectic for this trip. I had to leave Pittsburg on 18 December and reach Virginia by 19 December evening as I had my flight to India on 19 night.

I left Pittsburg at around 9 PM because my whole day went getting few documents from the college. And then I had to get one of tire replaced and a new battery. Bought a Garmin GPS for $100 from Walmart. So by the time everything was done and I left my college it was already 8 Pm and I only had one thing in my mind and that was “My flight that I had to catch for India”.

Overall the roads were really good but at some parts I guess my gps was lost or somehow it took me to an inner road which was through a jungle and was really narrow. I had to be really cautious while I was on that patch because of deer’s. But somehow I managed to come back on the freeway after driving all most 50 – 60 miles (100 kms) on that path and boy that was tiring because I had to slow down whenever a vehicle came from the opposite direction . I was driving at an average speed of 65-70 mph (104 – 112 km/ph). After driving for almost 5.5 hours I decided to take my first break as I reached St. Louis, MO around 1:30AM and by the time I had covered 310 miles (496 kms). I stopped for about 15-20 mins. Took gas, checked all of my tires, anti freeze (as it was December) and temperature was almost -5 to -7 degrees. Washed my face with cold water and had some snacks and took some energy drinks and cookies for the rest of the journey.

After taking my first Break I left at around 2 AM and thought of stopping at Springfield, OH (375 miles approx). So as soon as I left I saw my scariest thoughts turning into reality and that was snow. small flurries of snow started pouring onto my windscreen and but I was lucky that it was only for the first 50 miles (80 kms) or so. So as soon as I saw that it stopped snowing, I pressed my accelerator and I was at 110 mph (177 Kms) and drove on the same speed for about 30 mins or so as there were no cops around. But than after 30 mins or so I came back to the regular speed limit of 65 mph. But whenever I got a chance I literally pumped my car. And after driving for another 5.5 hours I reached my next stop Springfield, OH at 7:30 AM and had covered almost 375 miles (604 kms).

So I was kinda shocked and happy at the same time. Because when I took my fist stop after driving for 5.5 hours I had covered 310 miles (496 kms) and when I took my second stop again after driving for 5.5 hours I had covered 375 miles (604 kms) this time. So was quite happy but I did took some risk when I was driving 120-125 mph at a speed limit of 65 mph. If a cop would have caught me then I would have got a ticket.  So I decided to give my car and myself 1 hour rest. Meanwhile I filled my tank, checked all the fluids, air etc and had my breakfast and took a walk.

After one hour break I left around 8:30 AM with an intention to cover as much as possible but after driving for around 230 miles ( 370 kms ) I felt like my front right hand side tire is flat so I stopped at a gas station and checked my tires but, luckily everything was fine except the front tire was bit low on air. So I filled air as well as I filled my tank again so that I don’t have to stop again and took a 15-20 min break and the time was about 12:15-12:30 PM. So after a short break I left again at 1 PM and reached my destination Manassas, Virginia at 5 PM as I got stuck in traffic as I outskirts of Virginia. And when I reached Virginia I had covered another 235 miles ( 380 kms).

So after a super fast drive I managed to reach Manassas , Virginia in about 19 hours and covering 1200 miles (1932 kms). And by the grace of god there were no incidents and not a single scratch on my Gallant. And I safely boarded my flight for India that night and reached India to celebrate Xmas and New Year with my family.

Very good narration singh890, liked the pics of Gallant it seems in quite good condition and driving at such speeds and such lovely roads must be a different experience kindly share some pics of roads.

Now thats a proper full size sedan you have there unlike the ones you see nowadays with the add on boot. Wish we had it here in a diesel version.

I love all the versions of the Gallant. Do post more images of you car along with a review. We would love to hear more. And whats with those tapes on the glove box cover? Has it come off?

P.S: My dad's first car was a 1980 Gallant.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Very good narration singh890, liked the pics of Gallant it seems in quite good condition and driving at such speeds and such lovely roads must be a different experience kindly share some pics of roads.
Thanks Toughguy. It is a sheer pleasure to drive on these kind of roads. No traffic nuisance, don't see people driving on wrong side, won't see a guy running across the road and NO HORNS[:)]. you don't need them.

And will post some pictures if i can find them.

Now thats a proper full size sedan you have there unlike the ones you see nowadays with the add on boot. Wish we had it here in a diesel version.

I love all the versions of the Gallant. Do post more images of you car along with a review. We would love to hear more. And whats with those tapes on the glove box cover? Has it come off?

P.S: My dad's first car was a 1980 Gallant.
Thanks JalexYou are right buddy i just loved this car and since it was my first car that i bought from my own savings, i just loved it. It was so comfortable and the boot size was just awesome. And this car has a great stability as well.

Those tape are to keep the glove compartment door close, since it didn't had the lock (but got it fixed in a week). These are the pictures when i bought this car.

But i sold it back in 2009 December. And got a 07 Sonata V6. Another great car.

Excellent Narration buddy,

I can feel your experience,

Post some more pics of Gallant [;)]
Thanks buddy, Oh yes it's a totally different kind of experience driving on these roads. Everything is so planned and works accordingly. But you can find some stupid drunk drivers here as well.

Will see if i can find more pics of the car, as i sold it back in 2009. But still i will search my hard drive.

Awesome roads Singh890, it is surely a pleasure to drive on these awesome tarmac with no one is waiting around to jump in front of you just have to enjoy the drive and machine wow i wish we are able to enjoy like this in India.

Thread Starter #9
Yes buddy i have heard that in Texas the have interstate highways with 8 lanes each side with a speed limit of 80-85 mph ( 136 kms). I really want to drive there once, before i come back to india.

Top Bottom