Driving License System in Australia

Thread Starter #1
Sure that you are aware of Indian road conditions and speed limits. I too clocked the max speed at a straight road. But, Lancer can go more than 95 KmPH right. But, don't try anything unless you are sure going more than that!

I agreed with you in regards to Superub. I have seen Skoda's going way beyond 188 KmPH.
I am aware of Indian road conditions, I've lived in India for 15 years of my life and was driving from at least when I was 13 (Not that I'm proud of it, I'm just saying.)

The lancer definitely could go more, but the amount of speed cameras and cops around, I didn't want to lose my licence. Like, the Superb is registered under Dad's name so if a camera gets me speeding, I'll just say my Dad did it and I'll pay a fine, but the lancer is under my name and if I'm caught speeding in that, I straight away lose my licence because of the licence classing here. Its very annoying.

Even at 188, the skoda felt so stable, I knew exactly how the car would behave. If I did plant my foot, I was probably looking at around the 200 mark.. not sure though..

Re: How Fast Have You Gone On Your Ride??

The lancer definitely could go more, but the amount of speed cameras and cops around, I didn't want to lose my licence. Like, the Superb is registered under Dad's name so if a camera gets me speeding, I'll just say my Dad did it and I'll pay a fine, but the lancer is under my name and if I'm caught speeding in that, I straight away lose my licence because of the licence classing here. Its very annoying.
I never knew that there are such rules abroad.
But, i don't understand the logic: If you drive your own vehicle at high speeds and get busted - Loose the license & if you drive your dad's or friend's vehicle and get busted - Pay a fine.[lol]
What are the classes in that buddy? Is it age dependent?
Mods: Excuse me if this is going OT.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Well the licence works in 4 different classes:

Learners: You are limited do a speed of 80kmph on any road / have to display L-plates on the front and back of the vehicle / any speeding offence licence is suspended on the spot for three months.

Provisional 1: Limited to a speed of 90kmph on any road / have to display red P-plates on the front and back of the car / any speeding offence licence is suspended for 3 months on the spot. Restricted to carry only one passenger under the age of 25 between 11PM and 4AM. Not allowed to drive Turbocharged petrol, Supercharged Petrol, vehicles with eight or more cylinders and a few 6 cylinder cars.

Provisional 2: Limited to a speed of 90kmph on any road / have to display red P-plates on the front and back of the car / any speeding offence licence is suspended for 3 months on the spot. Not allowed to drive Turbocharged petrol, Supercharged Petrol, vehicles with eight or more cylinders and a few 6 cylinder cars.

Full licence: No restrictions. For a speeding offence, you won't get suspended on the spot. You will get a mail asking you to nominate the driver.

So yeah, if its is registered to my name, they usually suspend it straight after the camera clicks you. but if its in my dad's car, they can't suspend you.

Well the licence works in 4 different classes:

Learners: You are limited do a speed of 80kmph on any road / have to display L-plates on the front and back of the vehicle / any speeding offence licence is suspended on the spot for three months.

Provisional 1: Limited to a speed of 90kmph on any road / have to display red P-plates on the front and back of the car / any speeding offence licence is suspended for 3 months on the spot. Restricted to carry only one passenger under the age of 25 between 11PM and 4AM. Not allowed to drive Turbocharged petrol, Supercharged Petrol, vehicles with eight or more cylinders and a few 6 cylinder cars.

Provisional 2: Limited to a speed of 90kmph on any road / have to display red P-plates on the front and back of the car / any speeding offence licence is suspended for 3 months on the spot. Not allowed to drive Turbocharged petrol, Supercharged Petrol, vehicles with eight or more cylinders and a few 6 cylinder cars.

Full licence: No restrictions. For a speeding offence, you won't get suspended on the spot. You will get a mail asking you to nominate the driver.

So yeah, if its is registered to my name, they usually suspend it straight after the camera clicks you. but if its in my dad's car, they can't suspend you.
I have to say that this is only for NSW state. In VIC it different as each state has different rules.

Thread Starter #5

I have to say that this is only for NSW state. In VIC it different as each state has different rules.
Sure is. In VIC you don't have speed limits for different classes I suppose?

Thread Starter #7

That's right. Plus over here for learners they have a log book and need a certain number of hours to get their P.
yeah, we have that too.

This thread is going off topic. Mods excuse.
we are taking this talk else where [:)]

Top Bottom