Driving and Left Leg Pain!!

Pals,

Really sorry for not being here TAI for long time. Even though am in tight schedule am planing to be here with you guys for some time from today.

Miss you all guys.

@Pradeep

Do you mean to say that more distance from clutch will create a pain ?? I need to look into this.

I found some solution for my problem, I was using a water pillow from the beginning, but stopped using it from this summer as the same was very hot. I have again started using it from today where my thigh support is improved a bit and there is a bit difference in strain. I also need to adjust the seat to bit close to the steering as I pulled it completely back these days. Still I feel clutch is bit hard need to go to MASS to check it
Bro , right from the day i joined the forum i was against, using a pillow or anything like that while driving as it gets used to us and will get difficult to drive without it.
Bro in my case there is no personal car for me , the car which is free without a trip or not gone for rent is my car for the day,so if i am used of a pillow like accessory to drive a car then what will be my situation?
so i suggest , once the clutch is worn out and you change your clutch to a soft new one do get rid of the pillow and get used to the original.
Sir, I know you use this water pillow and even i was thinking of request you to get me one [I tried here after you recommended it for thigh support]. But after seeing alex's post, you tell me now should i use or not this pillow for thigh support in my sparky [only in long drives]

Gurrala, I think it is better to sit as far as possible (and comfortable) from the steering. It is recommended for safety. Plus I noticed people who enjoy driving sit farther away compared to people drive because they have to.
All my don't-enjoy-driving friends sit closer to the steering than I do. And all of them taller than me. You know me, 'tall guy' (6 ft minus 9 inches).
I feel relaxed when I am far from the steering. I sit low, I mean adjust the seat height to lowest position, so that I can reach the pedals comfortably.
Try that.
I too sit at middle distance [not too close nor not too far]. I always feel am driving relaxly. I hate to see some people sit on steering well and drive. As JohnyBoy mentioned I don't feel the pleasure of driving if i sit close.

I am trying it but not very successful in this. This was told by Maruti driving school so somehow I feel he is right.
I am a new driver and I drive without shoes or sandals. I can not comments on the height of pedals in other cars but I always have my ankles on the floor while driving. I did not find any problem while driving Brio [clap]. May be it has to do with the pedals height. In between i forgot to mention, i wear eight no. footwear.
I keep both my heals on floor. My right foot will be between accelerator and break and keep alternating between both. Left heal is for clutch. in b2b traffic i place the leg on clutch and depending upon situation i use the clutch other wise i will not even though the leg is on clutch.

Yes, this pains a lot and i am able to manage since b2b is not much here in Chennai apart from some specific times and most of the time I know the places where normally traffic will be and avoid it by going in thru some other route where no traffic or less traffic. In long traffic or where roads are clear I try to keep my left leg completely off from clutch and keep it on floor and if necessary use it on clutch.

Right now at Maruti service

checked the clutch issue with them and they have told clutch is fine and normal, but they said quite a few Ritz owners complained the same. They told me to try place a wooden piece under the mat beside the clutch as a dead pedal
Pls check with MASS guys and take next decision sir. Hope by now you should have done it my now and found the problem as well solution for that.

Thread Starter #62
Glad to see you Sethu[clap]

I tried everything and with MASS too, but no solution for it. They say everything is fine.

I checked with doctor, but there is nothing which is reason related to health.

My conclusions were

1. As alex said I stopped using the pillow
2. The seat size is not enough to give good thigh support, so this is a minus in Ritz
3. Pedals are on a height so I cannot use the clutch keeping my toe on the floor. it is just impossible, so this is also one minus. Pedals position and seating position there is no sync.
4. I only need to drive and see some other cars for a change(I drove vista and clutch light)
5. It is confirmed that on the web world that Ritz clutch and steering both are hard, so my next car will be with a light steering and light clutch

Will share more when we meet in Chennai next week or at the meet in yelagiri

3. Pedals are on a height so I cannot use the clutch keeping my toe on the floor.
I think you are talking of your heel. In fact Ritz's clutch is not only high but its biting point is also almost at clutch release point. Since I drove a few cars like wagonR, A-star and santro all at driving school and being a novice I don't have much idea about steering performance. So far to me Ritz's steering is easy.

From what i can figure out the pain you are talking about is in the left leg ankle.
If this is so i and my father also experience the pain in our ritz.
The pain is not unbearable but irritating.
In other forums i had read that many ppl face this issue in ritz/wagon r due to high placement of pedals.I do not face this issue in other cars.

You have owned the car for a long time.Is it only recently you have faced this issue ?
In other forums i had read that many ppl face this issue in ritz/wagon r due to high placement of pedals
Is it possible to adjust hight of the pedal ( Clutch)?[roll]

All this driving discomfort about Ritz caused only one thing (to blame), which is lack of 'Driver Seat Height Adjustability' (only available at top end Z version). Extra Padding at seat cover or upping the floor height may not help if the others (more than one person @ family) drive the car.

As I experienced myself too after driving back-to-back Ritz ZXI (OLD version) & Ritz VDI (NEW Version).

By showing a good gesture to consumer (who are brave enough to come forward and opt the bloated back) Maruti musts provide a driver seat height adjustment mechanism as a MGA product with very nominal price as an accessories. So that needy Ritz owner can go for one if they feel any discomfort after.

Last edited:
Friends,
I have recently purchased marutiz ciaz vdi and since the very first day could feel the pain in both the legs. First couple of days i thought the reason is shifting from petrol car to diesel but now its more tha acouple of week but still the pain is persistent. Also the pain remain back when i am not driving. Because of this my driving passion has gone down tremendously and i really am not willing to drive. Can any one suggest something.

This may be a redundant advice. But I would put them down here anyway.

- try different combination of seat height and lateral movement
- try different combinations of steering height adjust. I think Ciaz does not have reach adjust

Friends,
I have recently purchased marutiz ciaz vdi and since the very first day could feel the pain in both the legs. First couple of days i thought the reason is shifting from petrol car to diesel but now its more tha acouple of week but still the pain is persistent. Also the pain remain back when i am not driving. Because of this my driving passion has gone down tremendously and i really am not willing to drive. Can any one suggest something.
Hello Kavish, welcome to TheAutomotiveIndia.com.

Congrats for your new ciaz, however I see that you are going through the pain.
You'd owned any tallboy hatchbacks prior to ciaz? because I face this pain whenever i get to drive low slung vehicles and tend to get back and leg pain.

Probably you need to get used for sometime until everything comforts you.
I suggest you use a pillow under the seat and try driving.

This may be a redundant advice. But I would put them down here anyway.

- try different combination of seat height and lateral movement
- try different combinations of steering height adjust. I think Ciaz does not have reach adjust
Many cars doesn't have seat height adjustments nor reach adjustments, got to make lots of adjustments in seat until you find a comfortable position.

Recently I've started getting left leg pain and I feel is because of the traffic levels getting high and stop and go activity is making us fatigued.

Glad to see you Sethu[clap]

I tried everything and with MASS too, but no solution for it. They say everything is fine.

I checked with doctor, but there is nothing which is reason related to health.

My conclusions were

1. As alex said I stopped using the pillow
2. The seat size is not enough to give good thigh support, so this is a minus in Ritz
3. Pedals are on a height so I cannot use the clutch keeping my toe on the floor. it is just impossible, so this is also one minus. Pedals position and seating position there is no sync.
4. I only need to drive and see some other cars for a change(I drove vista and clutch light)
5. It is confirmed that on the web world that Ritz clutch and steering both are hard, so my next car will be with a light steering and light clutch

Will share more when we meet in Chennai next week or at the meet in yelagiri
Hi, I really like the conclusion you made. i would like to add few points more into it. The main culprit behind leg pain is the combination of the all the small things which make much difference when comes together such, hard clutch, seating position, traffic condition, car torque delivery, leg strength.

My self is suffering from leg pain from some months. Im driving Honda Jazz, diesel. I brought this in used condition, when i drove it for test drive i didn't realize the clutch is hard because its just 5 mins drive. But when starring using for in city traffic (Pune, Hinjewadi)… i start feeling pain in my leg leg just after 10 days. That time i councluded that its due to hard clutch. So i replaced it, spent 15K. The new one is 50% lighter. I was happy that time, but again two weeks later I started feeling the same.

Now i am dboutful that because i was driving hard clutch for many moths with suffering thru pain my leg strength got Reduced. But I also dboutful on my car's seating possition which i can't really change. I tried various option like to using pillow, inccrseing seat height etc. But those were not really a solution.

I am currently very unsatisfied with my car. When i check up with any mechnic they only says there no prob as such. But they dont drive my like i drive ..that is 1 hr Bumper to Bumper traffic so they can't understand what i am saying. I am, hoping that one day i will fix the problem.. but not yet successful.

Have you managed to fix the problem in your Ritz?
And which car you will suggest for light and confertable clutch action? Thanks.

Thread Starter #70
Hi, I really like the conclusion you made. i would like to add few points more into it. The main culprit behind leg pain is the combination of the all the small things which make much difference when comes together such, hard clutch, seating position, traffic condition, car torque delivery, leg strength.

My self is suffering from leg pain from some months. Im driving Honda Jazz, diesel. I brought this in used condition, when i drove it for test drive i didn't realize the clutch is hard because its just 5 mins drive. But when starring using for in city traffic (Pune, Hinjewadi)… i start feeling pain in my leg leg just after 10 days. That time i councluded that its due to hard clutch. So i replaced it, spent 15K. The new one is 50% lighter. I was happy that time, but again two weeks later I started feeling the same.

Now i am dboutful that because i was driving hard clutch for many moths with suffering thru pain my leg strength got Reduced. But I also dboutful on my car's seating possition which i can't really change. I tried various option like to using pillow, inccrseing seat height etc. But those were not really a solution.

I am currently very unsatisfied with my car. When i check up with any mechnic they only says there no prob as such. But they dont drive my like i drive ..that is 1 hr Bumper to Bumper traffic so they can't understand what i am saying. I am, hoping that one day i will fix the problem.. but not yet successful.

Have you managed to fix the problem in your Ritz?
And which car you will suggest for light and confertable clutch action? Thanks.
Clearly understand your situation Sagar. With only for this reason I sold my Ritz this year as i was not able to bear it anymore. I bought a Kia seltos diesel after doing test drive of many compact suvs and hatchbacks. Seltos clutch is light and more importantly the seating position matters a lot and its quite good and has adjustments to find our correct position. One needs to find that lucky spot of seating position trying to adjusting it multiple times. Right now enjoying my ride and spent quite few hours in bumper to bumper traffic and no pain of anykind and no fatigue too thanks to the power delivery of seltos and its superb torque which allow me to drive in 2nd gear without using clutch in slow moving traffic. Also having a dead pedal is a big boon as it gives good amount of rest to the left leg and also keep the leg in right angle always. Am not giving any solution to your problem right now as for some honda jazz has no issues and for some it has, so based on my inputs take your call as what to do next.

I have driven WRV diesel , and i haven't felt its clutch to be hard (now clocked 50kkm) . I think the driving position needs to be corrected , give ample legroom , and then adjust the height (not vice versa ) .

Thread Starter #72
I have driven WRV diesel , and i haven't felt its clutch to be hard (now clocked 50kkm) . I think the driving position needs to be corrected , give ample legroom , and then adjust the height (not vice versa ) .
Yes WRV clutch is lighter but JAZZ is not the same. Yes WRV seating position is different from JAZZ and one needs to adjust to suit them. WRV is the car I had finalised after selling my RITZ, was about to take the delivery and SELTOS test drive pulled me away from WRV.

Top Bottom