Driving and Left Leg Pain!!

No half clutch , even in heavy traffic . In B2B traffic , I do not move ahead unless there is 15 to 20 feet space is available . I quickly engage the first gear , release the clutch a little bit , little torque is generated , then immidietely I press the clutch fully and take the car in neutral , the little torque generated thus is used to move ahead .Whenever the car infront of me stops , I stop by using only brakes without needless touch to clutch pedal . Then when car in front of me starts moving, I wait till 15 to 20 feet space is available.Cars behind me keep on honking till then but I don't pay attention to them (just like elephant and dogs example) Few crook bikers do get opportunity to come in the way but I control the car with brake alone(since the car is moving in neutral ) whenever biker comes in between .(If We can neglect dogs then why to pay attention to pups)
Key words are , I need not drive B2B during B2B traffic. all the time.I mean it is OK if you are B2B when your car is standing , but no need to maintain B2B condition when you are moving ahead.

This driving style gives lot of rest to the left leg (as the foot is resting in the foot well on the ma most of the time ) and leads to minimal 'half clutch ' driving , thereby improves clutch life too.However half clutch based driving is inevitable at traffic jam situations in chowks when when the cars are crossing each other in crisscross fashion , but such situations are rare .

Last edited:
Speaking about pain, my right knee hurts when I drive for a long time. Usually starts to hurt when I complete about 100 km at a singe stretch. I came to the conclusion that the position of the accelerator in the Indica isn't properly positioned. The seating is a tad bit low and the accelerator pedal is placed far from the floor.

The knee pains comes when the pedals are not in the right position with the seats, also the sitting position matters, the heavy clutch are always a pain to drive especially diesels.

Maybe you can install a dead pedal for better driving and it also helps in B2B traffic.

Thread Starter #20
@Vishwas and Patil thank you for the inputs.

I have a doctor friend in Hyderabad I had spoken to him and there is no such problems medically, but he has also told me to check the clutch pedals stiffness, positioning in comparison with seating.

@Vishwas, there is no place left for dead pedal in my car. Yes it is very useful either in b2b traffic or even highway drive where the left foot is rested properly

I will visit the MASS very soon and check on the clutch part and report back here

Also see if by changing your driving position, seats hight and back rest does any changes to your comfort/discomfort and if seen you can get your driving seat more cushioning or less from your seat covers as per the need and the angle you drive your car, can atleast check that too along with the clutch part.

Gurrala,

I also feel the same. Pain in the leg. For me it is more 'tiredness' than pain. It happens when driving through heavy traffic or narrow roads as you also mentioned.

Try not driving for 2 days. You should feel better. Not only for the 2 days. For next 2 weeks you should be ok, even if you drive in bumper to bumper traffic. It works for me. Try that. It is just giving your body time to rest and get back.

Thread Starter #23
@Vijay,

Yeah i need to try all those postures, the problem I see(manufacturing defect[lol]) my legs are too long so, some how it is not comfortable when compared with the short leg persons where you have plenty of options to reduce or increase the height with cushion, pillow and all. for all ready long legs I cannot reduce the seat height as it is not height adjustable and I can't reduce my legs too[lol]

@JohnyBoy, Yes it is not only pain but tiredness too, but it largely depends on following things

1. Height of the person(specially size of legs)
2. Placing of pedals and their angle compared to the seat
3. seat adjustments
4. seat width and length and type of support it provides
5. Dead pedal
6. Stiffness of the clutch

Yes, I do such things of taking rest after a long ride but at times it is not possible as I drive some 80km in narrow roads, then with a 30 minutes gap again drive back which is painful always.

Yes, if it is a health concern I am sure I am checking with doctors on that. My question is whether other members also experienced this anytime ?? Is this related to the clutch problem ?? or is this with the ritz seating position and pedals angle against legs ??
@superbad

The pain at the lower joint, I think it is called ankle joint and the portion (muscles) above that before next joint
Firstly RK Sir, You are not alone... [clap] I too get such severe pains every day, perhaps in both legs. Also, while I am in bed, tend to crack / pop knuckles a lot many times at ankles / knee joints and it keeps popping every time I do. I at times feel my left knee is bit looser than the other. Thanks to Bangalore Traffic.

Ritz comes with Hydraulic Clutch? How many KMs on your ODO now? Had your clutch gotten harder compared to earlier? Try it with another Ritz of same age to find any differences. Hydraulic Clutch will get harder as they age and usage. So, Harder Clutch = Fatter Maintenance Bills, not only for the car but also for the driver... [frustration]

Apart from clutch, seating position, height etc. too plays a vital role here. Of late, I have been getting severe Shoulder / Arm pain in my right hand. Tried all seating adjustments available, yet it's not any better.

@Vibhor

Is an Automatic transmission is the solution for this or a dead pedal, because when I drove the Isuzu pick up some time back within that same 150km stretch I felt very comfortable may be due to its seating position as well the dead pedal equipped. Today I drove a Sunny AT and was really effort less in thick traffic, but only issue was if the car would equipped with a dead pedal then could have been more good
Yes. AT is obviously a better but an expensive solution. You would more or less don't use your left leg at all. But the -ves, Cost of the AT Car, Fuel & Maintenance Bills and most importantly, IMPO, pleasure of driving a car is felt only in MT.

Dead Pedal can help only in Highway drives with absolutely no need to use the left leg. But in the situations mentioned by you, Dead Pedal won't help in anyway as you won't even touch it.

No half clutch , even in heavy traffic . In B2B traffic , I do not move ahead unless there is 15 to 20 feet space is available . I quickly engage the first gear , release the clutch a little bit , little torque is generated , then immidietely I press the clutch fully and take the car in neutral , the little torque generated thus is used to move ahead .Whenever the car infront of me stops , I stop by using only brakes without needless touch to clutch pedal . Then when car in front of me starts moving, I wait till 15 to 20 feet space is available.Cars behind me keep on honking till then but I don't pay attention to them (just like elephant and dogs example) Few crook bikers do get opportunity to come in the way but I control the car with brake alone(since the car is moving in neutral ) whenever biker comes in between .(If We can neglect dogs then why to pay attention to pups)
Key words are , I need not drive B2B during B2B traffic. all the time.I mean it is OK if you are B2B when your car is standing , but no need to maintain B2B condition when you are moving ahead.

This driving style gives lot of rest to the left leg (as the foot is resting in the foot well on the ma most of the time ) and leads to minimal 'half clutch ' driving , thereby improves clutch life too.However half clutch based driving is inevitable at traffic jam situations in chowks when when the cars are crossing each other in crisscross fashion , but such situations are rare .
Well said. This is the best way to negotiate with B2B traffics.

Thread Starter #25
@Figoian and others

At least I am proud enough to say that after joining TAI and being active on the forum, I have learned lot many things right from pre-buying search, TDs, buying decisions, influences, what I want, why, what is worth, what I can sacrify for what etc.,

It is a every day learning for me, now after buying and a ownership of 2 years on my Ritz, I found lot of things I have not given a thought while my buying process like seating position, clutch type, pedals area, seat adjustments, ABS, thigh support, safety features etc., so with the experience of TAI I am sure my next car selection would be best one suitable for my requirements first than the worth for money I spend and I am really not bothered of great FE in front of driving comfort and pleasure.

There is nothing wrong with seat and clutch pedal 's angle of ritz.I have driven it for few hundred kms.Infact it is better than swift /dezire.
It is the inadvernt and injudicious use of clutch in indian road condition s which leads to such problems coupled with compromised quality of clutch plates in a bid to offer a car which is light on pocket , as per the market demand in our country.

Friends,

I do not know where to post this query, since it is about driving and thought to put my question here.

Off late I am sensing some serious pain in my left leg after driving my Ritz diesel in following scenarios

1. Bumper to bumper traffic drive in city for around 40 to 5okm
2. A long trip of some 150km involved with some narrow roads, potholed roads, speed breakers, some village/town traffic

Recently I drove for this 150km trip twice to same place on alternate days and now feeling my leg pains a lot

Is the above situation is common or something wrong with my clutch, my driving style or something else. Hope to get an answer from fellow friends on this
May you are putting too much weight on your left leg causing disturbance to blood flow, and hence, might be causing the pain. You could keep moving your toes (bring them together and release them) to help increase blood flow.

In any case, do visit an ortho.

@Figoian and others

At least I am proud enough to say that after joining TAI and being active on the forum, I have learned lot many things right from pre-buying search, TDs, buying decisions, influences, what I want, why, what is worth, what I can sacrify for what etc.,

It is a every day learning for me, now after buying and a ownership of 2 years on my Ritz, I found lot of things I have not given a thought while my buying process like seating position, clutch type, pedals area, seat adjustments, ABS, thigh support, safety features etc., so with the experience of TAI I am sure my next car selection would be best one suitable for my requirements first than the worth for money I spend and I am really not bothered of great FE in front of driving comfort and pleasure.
Very true RK. None can really pay off the pleasure of driving. Rest all are secondary.

There is nothing wrong with seat and clutch pedal 's angle of ritz.I have driven it for few hundred kms.Infact it is better than swift /dezire.
Hi Tornado - Rather I believe, that's more subjective or situational for each individual, say height, weight, built, structure and most importantly preferences. Here in RK's case, he has long legs which may make him uncomfortable in the same car which may be quite comfortable for another person of his same height. Just an example. Maybe, Sunny would suit him better, or SUVs.

Thread Starter #29
@Figoian and Tornado

Yes you are right in your views and the comfort in a particular car is very subjective based on the person body built, legs, driving style and seating posture. @Tornado, I respect your views on Ritz as per your driving experience and I know your height, but it all depends on how long you drove in a stretch and how old was the car, was it a diesel or petrol. I have finished some 20k kilometers in different conditions and I may not have felt this problem during my 1st year, why ?? it has two reasons again 1) My initial enthusiasm not allowed me to notice that pain OR I have not done such intensified trips which involves b2b traffic 2) after 2nd year it might be true that there is something wrong with clutch plates OR something wrong with my driving where clutch plates warned out early OR these hydraulic clutch plates behave like this after considerable time eg: 20k kilometers.

Apart from the above, while thinking on this and my in-laws Zen D I felt the low end torque also matters a lot, if low end torque is good then you do not need to change gears frequently and your clutch operation will be less. When I drive my in-law's Zen D I always felt its low end torque is more and while driving in 2nd gear without using the clutch at low speeds the engine never knocks which does in Ritz diesel

Last edited:
Try adjusting seating position , I personally experienced this pain as I used to drive with seats far from clutch then I adjusted my seating and viola my pain is gone. Do consult an ortho if pain persists [:)]

Top Bottom