Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears??

Thread Starter #1
IMP : This is from our previous forum
Link to the original discussion : Click Here

sudeepd said:
The below link says "Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears.
But Always use the clutch to change down through gears.

http://www.shell.com/home/content/in-en/shell_for_motorists/tips_for_motorists/biking_tips.html

Read the first two lines in 'Clutch Control' Section of Tips for You and Your Bike and reply this topic.
Does it mean that you should sometimes avoid using the clutch while upshifting the gears but always use the clutch while downshifting the gears?
thackervijay said:
woh, have never heard of this before man, i mean doesnt you ruin your vehicle by doing so. You always need to use your clutch to change gears.
raj_5004 said:
as far as i have heard, if the engine is at the correct rpm, you do not need to use the clutch while upshifting. while downshifting, you will have to slow down enough to attain the correct rpm which is not always possible, so you will have to use the clutch.
but it is always advisable to use the clutch anyways, decreases wear and tear.

sudeepd said:
But its Shell (World Famous Lubricants Manufacturer) which recommends that Dont always use the clutch for changing up gears.

See the URL. Its www.shell.com

But the 3rd point in Clutch Control of Tips for You and Your bike (Please check the URL Specified by me in 1st Post) says that "Good clutch control saves wear and tear on your gear box". Now whats this "Good Clutch Control" mean?
Crazy Cat said:
A local mechanic has said the similar explanation said by raj. So I think that there shouldn't be any problem in shifting without clutch.

@sudeepd, these things vary from bike to bike. The Correct RPM should be the one at which the gear changes smoothly without any trouble. And the same goes for Clutch control too, I've seen some who slot the bike in first by holding clutch and wait for the signal even if it for a minute.

zinam said:
Oh!! this is really great info guys !!

Thats why i saw all MTC buesses here never uses Cluch while Upshifting, rather they use clutch only when downshifting.

I thought these guys are runing since these buses are not their propery. :)
sudeepd said:
@CC
I try to up shift (without Clutch, of course) around 2500-3000rpm. If done at correct rpm, the bike does not give jerk and the shift action is also positive (i.e., without any Gear shifting noise).
But if not done at correct rpm, the bike may give jerk while up shifting without clutch.

I tried shifting on our Indigo XL Dicor. Sometimes the gear used to engage properly, but sometimes the gear lever made noise while moving the lever from Neutral to Third (in process of Shfting from 2nd to 3rd).
I think I will have to practise more on an open road (less traffic) first and then take it in traffic.

Also as Indigo has Dry Clutch, I am unaware of the rpm to shift.
Crazy Cat said:
Thanks sudeepd.
I found that it is quite easy to do in bikes but is difficult in cars. I succeeded in bringing it to neutral, but not able to engage gears.

sudeepd said:
I face the same problem.
I think the cars having Dry Clutch face this problem. They allow to shift to Neutral but stop from engaging gears.

Yesterday also I tried shifting from 2nd to 3rd without clutch. The Gear Lever shifted to Neutral Smoothly (without clutch) but as I tried to push the Gear Lever from Neutral to 3rd, it refused to move :shock: . Then I depressed the Clutch and Engaged 3rd Gear (from Neutral). :x

Last edited by a moderator:

napster

Suspended
bus drivers out here always do that, except for the first gear they never use clutch :p
i suggest use clutch always as to change gears without using clutch you need to maintain very less rpm, and that cant be done al lthe time so its better to use clutch all the time.

oh how can we change gears in car without using clutch.
its synchromesh system na?

Buses and bikes are constant mesh system. so no clutch needed for shifting.

But in car only to get neutral we need not use clutch. to engage a gear we need clutch.

Am afraid to try this

napster

Suspended
ilango[speed thirst];7575 said:

But in car only to get neutral we need not use clutch. to engage a gear we need clutch.

Am afraid to try this
not to worry pal..this topic is under tips for you and your bikes so dont ever try this with your car unless you have deep pockets[:D]

I too have done this on bike but never dared to do it on cars.

But as many of you have said there is a correct RPM at which you can up shift without using the clutch & in a smooth way,i have felt it on my bike.

The think i do is keep my foot under the gear lever & slightly pull it UP to up-shift.Its hard in the initial RPM but later on as the RPM raises the gear lever becomes smooth and up-shifts.

Am afraid to try this
What does a synchro has to do with this?
Synchros were developed to avoid Double Declutching
Not to use more of clutch.
You can always upshift while keeping the clutch disengaged. Need to practise some RPM matching.
Regarding Clutch Control, Take tips from Truck & Bus drivers.
They use the clutch for different purposes. Start-Stop, Gear changes, And even as brakes!![shock]
Double Declutch everytime a gear change is made. Awesome Guys.
[cheers]

Am afraid to try this
This is wrong info. bus drivers never depress the clutch just because they are lazy! constant mesh gearboxes DO NEED the clutch to change gears.

Synchromesh gearboxes have a ring between two gear sets which just helps to make the gear changing easier & avoids the need to double clutch.

also, all modern tata & AL buses have synchromesh gearboxes now. still, the drivers never press the clutch!

yeah true.

My uncle is gonna sell his scorpio and its lying with me for 10 days.

I had great fun driving in rain and water and puddle. The best car i had fun.

So i tried without clutch yest night and it worked.

From 2 to 3 i tried without clutch and it worked as easily as in my bike.

Still i have not tried in my marina

ilango[speed thirst];7857 said:
yeah true.

My uncle is gonna sell his scorpio and its lying with me for 10 days.

I had great fun driving in rain and water and puddle. The best car i had fun.

So i tried without clutch yest night and it worked.

From 2 to 3 i tried without clutch and it worked as easily as in my bike.

Still i have not tried in my marina
The Gear worked without Clutch because the Clutch in Scorpio is Hydraulic Type and not like Indigo's which is Dry Type.
I tried in our Indigo but the Gear Lever sometimes moves from Gear Position to Neutral Position only but not from Neutral to Gear. While Shifting from Neutral to Gear, there is Grinding Noise.
I know a person who shifts (up shifts and downshifts) gears without clutch very often in his Tata Safari 3.0 Dicor. Some of the forum members know him.

Now I always use Clutch while Shifting the Gears in our both Indigos.

We request you all to engage your clutch before before downshifting or upshifting to any gear for any 4-wheeler, if you dont it greatly effect the differential and reduces its life.

Top Bottom