Does Upsizing Wheels & Tires from OE Size Void Warranty?

Thread Starter #1
As I might be buying an i20 in the near future, I plan to replace my i10's stock wheels & tires with the i20's stock Alloys and tires, just like how Mutantx did, and upsize the i20's tires and alloys to something like 195/55 R15.

Can this void the warranty on my i10 and the i20? If yes, which sections of the warranty?

yes, it will void the warranty. just changing the alloys on stock tyres or upsizing the tyres on stock wheels will also void warranty.

affected sections will be mostly suspension & brakes but you cannot argue with the A.S.S for anything!

btw, why not buy or atleast book the car & then discuss about all these... if at all you dont buy the car or book another car, this thread would be a waste!

Yes it will.
The warranty void will occur only if any issue occurs due to this modification.

Normally if you upgrade properly, nothing should impact.

Thread Starter #4
Thanks RSM & Raj.
@Raj: Irrespective of the car I go in for, I will be replacing the OE alloys.

Is it safe to replace the OE alloys with other alloys of the same dimensions on the i20?

@ arkin: different cars have different PCDs & different tyre sizes.

yes, same size alloys can be easily installed but still warranty MAY be void.

Yes it will void the warranty even if you switch over to alloys of the same size. Read the warranty terms and conditions in the owner's manual of your i10 it might be mentioned somewhere. Normally problems wont occur but if you come across any problem be ready to pay the full amount.

I would advice you to stick to the stock alloys size and upgrade the width maybe to 195 section. Generally upsizing of alloys only create problems in few cars.

AFAIK it will void the warranty , check your i10 manual na? It will be mentioned in the terms and conditions of the warranty replacement something like " Warranty replacement does to apply for any exteriors modifications done by the user".

Even if does not void your warranty you will have a tough time in the A.S.S if you need to replace the brakes , suspension under warranty. They will point out the alloys as the reason for the repair!

So changing the stock alloys of the i20 to other ones of the same size will not void my warranty?
Yes,it diesn't directly void your warranty,only if your suspension and brakes get damaged.The damages are most likely to happen once you upgrade to bigger rims,and the Company will call it as owner's fault for upgrading the tyres and then you will have to spend so much on repairing it.
Instead drive it as stock 14" rims until warranty period expires,and then upgrade the tyres,suspension and go for even bigger rims like 16,which would be a better deal than changing it on a new car.

Thread Starter #10
Para 1: I'm talking about changing alloys of an i20 to different ones of the same size, not changing the i10's steel rims to the i20's alloys.

Oh I see. The problem here is I'm not a very great fan of the i20's alloys. Anyway, do ye have after-market alloys on your Veruna?

Yes anyways it will void the warranty of both your i10 and i20.

Both me and Surendar have after-market alloys on our cars but same size , no problems faced till now by both of us.

Thread Starter #12
So I guess it will be safe to go in for alloys of the same size on the newer car, be it the i20 or the Jazz, on the OE rubber.

I guess upgrades on the i10 can wait. I wanted to change the tires as I believe the the tires are a bit skinny.

@Arkin,but,the Hyundai people have mentioned to me that your car has alloys on it,which is not OE and your tyres have nitrogen filled on it,for which they don't have any answer if my tyre gets side wall punctures.
My car when it was at stock condition had 3 2 side wall punctures,and the company didn't give a valid reply to me,and this was also a reason for me to hate the company.
I have seen 2 Verna CRDI(s) with upgraded tyres to 15" rims having suspension problems and they both spent so much money on it for changing it.

So I guess it will be safe to go in for alloys of the same size on the newer car, be it the i20 or the Jazz, on the OE rubber.

I guess upgrades on the i10 can wait. I wanted to change the tires as I believe the the tires are a bit skinny.

+1 to this. My thoughts exactly. But what will be do with the stock i20 alloys then? Instead of trading them away have it in your i10.

Thread Starter #15
Won't it void the i10's warranty to some extent? I shall talk to my family and we shall decide. We'll try and find out how much we can get for the i20's alloys.

Top Bottom