Does Sales Figures of a Car Matter in Your Buying Decision?

Does Sales Figures of a Car Influence Your Buying Decision?

• Total voters
Re: Car Sales Figures – Do They Really Matter To You?

+100
@ all
Btw does it mean highest selling car = great car and lowest selling car = bad car ?
highest selling car = great car: Mostly yes
lowest selling car = bad car: Not always. It may just be good for you.

Also if sales of car A> B, then assuming that B is inferior to A would be a disrespect to an auto enthusiast.

In 2 years I learnt why the resale value is affected,
I had to be honest. I told him this car, Punto gives me happiness beyond any boundaries but , am I satisfied with the ownership -NO.
If your suggestion was based on the A.S.S of FIAT then you gave him the right suggestion of course.

Thread Starter #32

Iron Rock;264821]Different people will have different priorities with regards to resale, depreciation etc. Some will not care, some will care - so i wont go there. There is nothing right or wrong about it.
Let me try by splitting the thread name in to multiple questions(as viewing some question in a unitary aspect might not help ) :-

1) Will you simply buy the highest selling car in a segment just because its highest selling - I guess most of us will answer NO.
People who come to forum , learn various things about the car that intrest them you are right the answer is NO , but people who don't care about visiting forums or in general are not auto enthusiast most of the time depend on others or where the herd follows ( herd here is not a bad word , actually it is not atall a bad word it just a definition were the majority of population moves towards)

2) Would you like to be aware of all cars including the best selling one in the segment or for your budget - vis a vis what they offer and how they compare holistically including costs etc
- I again guess most of us will answer YES
+100 and forums become so important here . And in real life My friend loves figo but has old parents so being a low slung car he dint buy it but went for ritz which has lesser features .

So the more practical reason in my view for sales figures to exist is they provide you with a "scale" or a "foundation" for comparison and give you some basis to consider before you make a decision. You need not buy the best selling car in a segment, but its prudent you know your priorities and compare against the best seller. This is called a "wise informed decision". So you know what exactly you missed and what exactly you gain (keeping in mind your priorities)
Actually I think somewhere car makers started this monthly and quarterly car sales figures for their share holders who have invested money in their company and really are worried about how the products of their company in which they have invested their money .
( this is only my assumption , and guys are free if there is some other story also to it which can enlight me in a right way )
None the less this has become a kind of benchmark in selecting and proving which car is good or bad also .
Rest what you said is 1000% correct its allways prudent to take desicion based on the parameter you mentioned .
There might be some who answer the opposite of the above as well and i think that's fine as well. There aren't rights or wrong here, but always good to know the depth before you jump is my suggestion
Hahaha this become so important to clear these days on forum isn't ? [lol]
Shortage of parts wont be experienced until the low selling car is out of production. MASS has a good rep but how many parts are available for the Baleno?
And how many years before maruti stopped the production of the baleno ?

Don't know why people think that Swift is not a "pleasure to drive" car and only Fiats are pleasure to drive cars? These days I can easily assume with title of the threads that another Fiat praising thread has been started. [glasses]

Each car has its own positive and negative and if some cars are selling better than others then there must be more positive in those cars and people should accept that. And if some cars are market duds then it means they have way much more negatives compared to others. Thats it.

Thread Starter #34

Don't know why people think that Swift is not a "pleasure to drive" car and only Fiats are pleasure to drive cars? These days I can easily assume with title of the threads that another Fiat praising thread has been started. [glasses]

Each car has its own positive and negative and if some cars are selling better than others then there must be more positive in those cars and people should accept that. And if some cars are market duds then it means they have way much more negatives compared to others. Thats it.
bro I don't think anybody has mentioned swift as a non pleasureable car,compared to fiat cars .did some one ? And the thread has nothing to do with fiat .its just that some owners owning a fiat are giving a point of view on the topic.

And how sure can one be that market duds have allways negatives in it ? It is never black and white hence the discussion and debate .

Last edited:

People who come to forum , learn various things about the car that intrest them you are right the answer is NO , but people who don't care about visiting forums or in general are not auto enthusiast most of the time depend on others or where the herd follows ( herd here is not a bad word , actually it is not atall a bad word it just a definition were the majority of population moves towards)
Agree with you people who are not part of forums and have least to do with automobiles and see it just as a means of transport - the sales number then also do help them a lot in a way - its probably the safest decision in a way, well if its a wrong decision i have atleast a few thousand who are in the same ditch as me. Gives them a better probability and sense of security - it largely is a safe decision that way - thousands cannot go wrong over years and years!

Actually I think somewhere car makers started this monthly and quarterly car sales figures for their share holders who have invested money in their company and really are worried about how the products of their company in which they have invested their money .
( this is only my assumption , and guys are free if there is some other story also to it which can enlight me in a right way )
None the less this has become a kind of benchmark in selecting and proving which car is good or bad also .
Rest what you said is 1000% correct its allways prudent to take desicion based on the parameter you mentioned .
Share holders are most interested in returns - sell whatever you can, even if something sells with the tyres on the roof instead - statistics if favouring a manufacturer he will be happy to flaunt it - if it doesnt favour he will resort to other means and match - not just for automobile makers, for generally all areas and regulations permitting, if Y-O-Y sounds 10% decrease , but M-O-M sounds 10% increase, we will largely give the M-O-M bytes to media - thats how the reality of our life is - stock markets are already in a tizzy state why state anything negative and hit your own stock.

Hahaha this become so important to clear these days on forum isn't ?
Ohh yes, this is my subjective opinion and that is your sub-objective opinion and it goes on ....[;)]

Last edited:

Will you buy a car only because it is selling more? - No

Will you buy a car even if it is not selling? - Depends

If it is zero sales, then chances are that I may not get that car even if I want buy one.

If it is in very small numbers, again decision is based on the manufacturer and their reputation. (Not discussing about the reputation of the manufacturer in producing reliable cars - would have sold in good numbers anyway in that case. Here I am talking about the standing and reputation of the manufacturer in Industry)

BTW how much 2.4 year, 22000km stock Punto90hp fetch ?
Stock !!! [roll]

Decimated and re assembled multiple times.. almost every week [evil]

Sorry, just joking [;)]

What was the on road price for the punto ? A new car if iam not mistaken ( kindly correct me ) depreciates at the rate of 35% in the 1-2-3 years .

So lets find out how much a similarly priced car from the completion will fetch with same amount of Kms and ownership time .
I bought the car for 7.8 Lacs and sold it for 5.8 Lacs, so basically I lost 2 Lacs in one year. By the way, my car got a slightly higher price because of the audio system and other mods I had done on it.

I had a tough time finding genuine buyers. There were people who said they will pay not a penny more than 5 Lacs for a FIAT since its a FLOP car.

And ask raj incase the car from competition gets more resale value , is that value propositional to the pleasure he enjoyed while driving the punto .
No No No.

Dont misunderstand me. I am not at all unhappy with my purchase decision of Pintu. Its one of the best cars I have ever driven.

Also, I am someone who does not care much about resale value. But as IR has beautifully explained, we never ignore the sales figures of our car before booking it. Its always in the back of our minds.

In my ownership report of the XUV, I have mentioned that the Aria is a better car than the XUV (except that it lacks features). But the main reason to avoid it was its dismal sales figures which meant we were not sure about the car's future at all. And we were right. Now when it is being sold at 9.5 Lacs, it is not their premium model anymore.

Sales figures will never explain how good or how bad a car is. BUT, they can or may reflect how good your ownership will be.

If someone had said that "Swift is not a "pleasure to drive" car" what should I say he must be just another guy who couldn't wait or buy off one tricking the waiting period, I have said this before many times there are a couple of my friends who went for fiat just because they were not ready to wait, so what is it for them definitely sour grapes [lol]

And be it Swift or whatever car it is its can never be sold in the market in those huge numbers if it's not "pleasure to drive"

And Fiat lovers they are just like Bullet lovers who never let their machines down and keep singing its praises, however worse their machines are " I am not a taking a dig but I am a Bullet lover myself "

And its human tendency to normally flaunt their buy as outstanding or out of the world or whatever, even some rational minds can't tend to hold on from this habit

Yes, swift might have its drawbacks on certain aspects but its one car which is worth the buck & [evil] and most of the times put some 15L cars to shame on highways

Well i don't care about the sales chart, in fact if some car is not selling in good numbers then the prospective might get a very good discount. And even if the car is discontinued then also services can be done at company workshop. There may be a reason where sales chart matters i.e. Resale but who cares!!! Usually people sell their car after 5 years and it totally depends on the condition. Now that's what i think.

I bought my bike, Avenger eyes closed, God knows what its sales figures are.

I felt it so cheap,hope you get the drift.

The fact for most enthusiasts is if they like what they see, they take it.
The fact for the common indian people is if the like what they see on the charts, they take it.

Thread Starter #42

I bought the car for 7.8 Lacs and sold it for 5.8 Lacs, so basically I lost 2 Lacs in one year. By the way, my car got a slightly higher price because of the audio system and other mods I had done on it.

I had a tough time finding genuine buyers. There were people who said they will pay not a penny more than 5 Lacs for a FIAT since its a FLOP car.

No No No.

Dont misunderstand me. I am not at all unhappy with my purchase decision of Pintu. Its one of the best cars I have ever driven.

Also, I am someone who does not care much about resale value. But as IR has beautifully explained, we never ignore the sales figures of our car before booking it. Its always in the back of our minds.

In my ownership report of the XUV, I have mentioned that the Aria is a better car than the XUV (except that it lacks features). But the main reason to avoid it was its dismal sales figures which meant we were not sure about the car's future at all. And we were right. Now when it is being sold at 9.5 Lacs, it is not their premium model anymore.

Sales figures will never explain how good or how bad a car is. BUT, they can or may reflect how good your ownership will be.
You actually got a good buyer and great price for the punto .

" Can or may reflect your how good your ownership will be " is the key word in your statement which can swing positively and negatively and that entirely depends on the car maker .

for example there is difference in buying a premier rio and Renault pulse [:)] both are non selling cars but car makers of both the cars have altogether a different market perception in some cases people still think premier automobiles means fiat .
If someone had said that "Swift is not a "pleasure to drive" car" what should I say he must be just another guy who couldn't wait or buy off one tricking the waiting period, I have said this before many times there are a couple of my friends who went for fiat just because they were not ready to wait, so what is it for them definitely sour grapes

And be it Swift or whatever car it is its can never be sold in the market in those huge numbers if it's not "pleasure to drive"

And Fiat lovers they are just like Bullet lovers who never let their machines down and keep singing its praises, however worse their machines are " I am not a taking a dig but I am a Bullet lover myself "

And its human tendency to normally flaunt their buy as outstanding or out of the world or whatever, even some rational minds can't tend to hold on from this habit

Yes, swift might have its drawbacks on certain aspects but its one car which is worth the buck & [evil] and most of the times put some 15L cars to shame on highways
Great post thanx for your anlyasis . And you are right swift is a amazing car . And it might put 15 lakhs rs cars to shame ,which cars exactly I don't know but I belive you in that case .

Now what exactly is your opinion about this thread's topic ? Which I think you have missed while posting everything which was actually not related to the topic of the thread . [;)]

I know a family who bought swift instead of Skoda laura.Change of mind happened after a test drive.

I think swift can smoke Toyota Altis D (Even my Punto can)

Thread Starter #44

I know a family who bought swift instead of Skoda laura.Change of mind happened after a test drive.

I think swift can smoke Toyota Altis D (Even my Punto can)
I know some one who bought a quanto instead of Audi q3 , so ? And I think quanto has 2 extra seats which Audi dosent have and in terms of space it beats the Audi q3 hands down . But

This is not the topic of the thread atall .

The thread topic is -Car Sales Figures – Do They Really Matter To You? and not which car smokes which car in 2 segments higher then it .

So all lets stick to the topic . [:)]

My answer was inline to questions you asked swift n furious.His answers sounded sensible too,I wonder why you felt it OT.

Swift sells like hot cakes everybody wants own it unlike slow moving skodas.

Top Bottom