Does Sales Figures of a Car Matter in Your Buying Decision?

Does Sales Figures of a Car Influence Your Buying Decision?

• Total voters
Re: Car Sales Figures – Do They Really Matter To You?

Well not really but I am sure that spare parts AND selling the jazz wont be a problem. Resale is not too bad either,it will crash now after production ends.
Generally a less selling car would have low resale value.

Today my friend bought Maruti Alto 800.
He wanted Punto,like mine ,I warned him.
I attested for his query "a car which wont let him down for long term use"-Simple,easy on pocket as well as on road. This car even after 5 years may fetch him more than 80 percent resale value.
If you have chosen a car which will make you happy on every parameter and it coincidentally has good resale too, then you are simply lucky.

But if you are rejecting a car only on basis of sales/resale value, even though you love the car to the core, then its a sin against the car and hypocrite in a way.

So if Jayadev, you warned your friend only considering resale value of punto, even though he likes the car on every other aspect, then you disappointed your punto!

Thread Starter #17

You are right , but at times the same less selling car is offered with good discount which later on offsets the difference you would have otherwise enjoyed in high selling car during reselling .
If you have chosen a car which will make you happy on every parameter and it coincidentally has good resale too, then you are simply lucky.
Yes some love the swift to death and incidentally it has good resale .

If I buy a car which I love and at the same time the car also sells good and has great r sale value then its amazing .

But if you are rejecting a car only on basis of sales/resale value, even though you love the car to the core, then its a sin against the car and hypocrite in a way.
+1000000 . I had to gift a car to my wife so I send her pics of wagon r , santro , spark via email .

She loved the spark I bought it after test driving it and even I liked it more then santro and alto and wagon r , now it won't have maybe resale like wagon r but the joy the car gave my wife and me for all this 5 years is priceless . That joy cannot be ever traded for a some thousand of rs which I would earned more in time of reselling if I would have bought a wagon r which my wife dint like atall .

So I atleast will prefer to drive a car which I love more irrespective of its sales numbers and resale , rather then buying a car which I don't love atall but driving only because I think i will earn some odd thousands more in resale value and wont make my descion in buying because thousand of people are buying it ( this is exactly HERD MENTALITY ) .

On top of it buying car only on sales numbers is like surrendering my own choice and liking to some numbers .

I think Sales Figure should one of the major factor in decision making process. But in India many end up making it the only factor for buying car ir respective what their needs and requirements are.

+1000000 . I had to gift a car to my wife so I send her pics of wagon r , santro , spark via email .

She loved the spark I bought it after test driving it and even I liked it more then santro and alto and wagon r , now it won't have maybe resale like wagon r but the joy the car gave my wife and me for all this 5 years is priceless . That joy cannot be ever traded for a some thousand of rs which I would earned more in time of reselling if I would have bought a wagon r which my wife dint like atall .

So I atleast will prefer to drive a car which I love more irrespective of its sales numbers and resale , rather then buying a car which I don't love atall but driving only because I think i will earn some odd thousands more in resale value and wont make my descion in buying because thousand of people are buying it ( this is exactly HERD MENTALITY )
On top of it buying car only on sales numbers is like surrendering my own choice and liking to some numbers .
Absolutely, what matters finally is your heart along with your head should be pleased with the ownership of your vehicle,irrespective of its resale value or the vehicles sales figure.[clap]

Thread Starter #20

I think Sales Figure should one of the major factor in decision making process. But in India many end up making it the only factor for buying car ir respective what their needs and requirements are.
+100

@ all
Btw does it mean highest selling car = great car and lowest selling car = bad car ?

+100

@ all
Btw does it mean highest selling car = great car and lowest selling car = bad car ?
This has been discussed earlier as well in other threads and I still stand firm on my belief that what you said above is not true.

Hmm,

Nice thread finally to write some thing sensible here. Thanks Raja for starting such thread.

It was never stuck in my mind that what are the sales figures of a particular car while buying a new ride. I always felt that sales figures are for the companies, its share holders and the sales marketing departments(I say this being a sales marketing professional for past 15 years) and it is nothing to do for a buyer I feel.

As buyer I shortlist cars falling in my budget and my needs and select one out of the list after driving them which is most suitable and comfortable for me. That's it and I never thought about the re sales value any time as I buy a car to use it for 4 to 5 years and the comfort and ownership experience matter the most to me and I am not at all bothered for how much it sells when I want to upgrade.

The example is when I was buying my Ritz, I have short listed Punto,Vista and Ritz and so many were asking me that why I am not going for a swift which was little bit higher than Ritz, because they say it is a hot selling and fetch me more money when I sell it, but what is the use of buying it when I am not comfortable with it from day one and continue to be cramped for 5 years and sell it for good price[lol]. I adopted a practical approach for my selection and finalised with Ritz and I am 100% happy with my decision and I never thought of its re sale value in my dreams too.

So if Jayadev, you warned your friend only considering resale value of punto, even though he likes the car on every other aspect, then you disappointed your punto!
In 2 years I learnt why the resale value is affected,
I had to be honest. I told him this car, Punto gives me happiness beyond any boundaries but , am I satisfied with the ownership -NO.
Why because, What I understand is even before end of warrenty period Fiat ignored those silly niggles or issues popping up, I dont know if it was intentional or lack of expertise.
I am quite apprehensive now, about them opening up separation from tata and Independent service centre will avail service to current gen Fiat cars only,completely ditching the old ones like mine.
I have Maruti ,Hyundai and Honda owners in my friend circle and they also do face niggles, but sorting them out and returning to home post service is celebratory.
In my eyes Maruti owner friends (now 6 of them) are getting all brawny points from my side. these 6 guys an year back asked how about Punto I said better avoid so they are ever thankful to me for Swift/ritz they own as of now.

BTW how much 2.4 year, 22000km stock Punto90hp fetch ?

@Jayadev

+100, with that reading on ODO and its age and present Punto diesel prices, it could fetch some 4.5 to 5L I think based on its condition

In 2 years I learnt why the resale value is affected,
I had to be honest. I told him this car, Punto gives me happiness beyond any boundaries but , am I satisfied with the ownership -NO.
Why because, What I understand is even before end of warrenty period Fiat ignored those silly niggles or issues popping up, I dont know if it was intentional or lack of expertise.
I am quite apprehensive now, about them opening up separation from tata and Independent service centre will avail service to current gen Fiat cars only,completely ditching the old ones like mine.
I have Maruti ,Hyundai and Honda owners in my friend circle and they also do face niggles, but sorting them out and returning to home post service is celebratory.
In my eyes Maruti owner friends (now 6 of them) are getting all brawny points from my side. these 6 guys an year back asked how about Punto I said better avoid so they are ever thankful to me for Swift/ritz they own as of now.

BTW how much 2.4 year, 22000km stock Punto90hp fetch ?
Raj sold his for 5.8 and I think his was one year old and something 15k on ODO.

The friend who booked PUNTO because of me, asked me whether there are any problems or not. I said there are problems, but you need to select either trouble free ownership with Ritz or volatile ownership with PUNTO. He was OK with volatile.[glasses]

Thread Starter #26

@ all

Any car will depreciate faster in first 3 years , compared to each other there will be some difference for sure .

For example swift and punto bought under same price , swift might depreciate lesser , but then if someone buys a car for the pleasure it provides , the question comes can pleasure owning a car be compared with extra money it might get in its resale ?

One who is only concerned about resale must then buy a top selling car . But one who thinks there is something more then just resale value alone to the car can look for many more options around .

And does it really matter for the cars with long term ownership to its resale value, i guess not.Atleast with the purchase made with a hearts decision it doesnt really.

Different people will have different priorities with regards to resale, depreciation etc. Some will not care, some will care - so i wont go there. There is nothing right or wrong about it.

Let me try by splitting the thread name in to multiple questions(as viewing some question in a unitary aspect might not help ) :-

1) Will you simply buy the highest selling car in a segment just because its highest selling - I guess most of us will answer NO.

2) Would you like to be aware of all cars including the best selling one in the segment or for your budget - vis a vis what they offer and how they compare holistically including costs etc
- I again guess most of us will answer YES

3) Will you compare your selection against the best selling car and decide based on your priorities - I guess the answer will be YES for most of us.

So the more practical reason in my view for sales figures to exist is they provide you with a "scale" or a "foundation" for comparison and give you some basis to consider before you make a decision. You need not buy the best selling car in a segment, but its prudent you know your priorities and compare against the best seller. This is called a "wise informed decision". So you know what exactly you missed and what exactly you gain (keeping in mind your priorities)

There might be some who answer the opposite of the above as well and i think that's fine as well. There aren't rights or wrong here, but always good to know the depth before you jump is my suggestion.

Thread Starter #29

Raj sold his for 5.8 and I think his was one year old and something 15k on ODO.
What was the on road price for the punto ? A new car if iam not mistaken ( kindly correct me ) depreciates at the rate of 35% in the 1-2-3 years .

So lets find out how much a similarly priced car from the completion will fetch with same amount of Kms and ownership time .

And ask raj incase the car from competition gets more resale value , is that value propositional to the pleasure he enjoyed while driving the punto .

Peacefull ownership dharmesh as nothing to do with low selling or high selling cars .

If that is the case then does it mean sx4 , a star , zen estilo which comes from maruti is not peaceful and have spare parts not available ? Because it sales very less ?

I have spark with low sales compared to its competitors I had a peaceful ownership , with no shortage of spare parts also .

Fiat cars and their ownership is totally different issue which has something to do with their management .

Shortage of parts wont be experienced until the low selling car is out of production. MASS has a good rep but how many parts are available for the Baleno?

Top Bottom