Does it Make Sense to Buy a Test Driven Chevrolet Cruze?

Hi.

I am planning to buy a Chevrolet Cruze

They are very selective about who they allow to test drive the car and it has only done 2,000 kilometres in four months.

However, test driven cars obviously get no running in. I drove it spiritedly myself. My question is, is running-in important enough for me to consider forgoing a ₹5,00,000 discount
so I’d then have to buy a Hyundai Verna Fluidic, most likely. What would you guys do if you were in my situation?
Thanks for all the advice. The majority opinion is clearly that I should do a thorough check and then go for it if satisfied. Glad to hear that. :)

I am not worried so much about there being something suspicious though. I live in a small city and all the baniya families here are connected to each other. The car dealer is distantly related to us and speaks to my parents with utmost respect. It’s highly unlikely that he would try to swindle us.

Also, while the Cruze may be a big seller in the rest of India, a ₹13 lac car is a tough sell in smaller cities. There is only one Cruze out in the wild in the city and that is owned by the dealer himself (which also served as the test drive car for six months before he took ownership of it).

I will see if I can get them to include the extended warranty along with the car and do a full pre-delivery check as suggested by you guys. Thanks so much. :)
Pu

@ arya yush,
Why the hell this dealer wants to sell the TD car,? Is he going to shut down the dealership? If not then how he is going to sell new cruze, without giving full and proper TD?

New custemer s will always take a full TD, obviously they won't shellout rs 15 lakhs without TD. As the custemers are not going to be a first timers, hence they will put the TD car under proper test for suspension, GC at worst conditions.

Also TD car will be revved to at least 3 to 4 k rpm, by the TD custemer, which will void the running in rules.

Running in is a most important factor in the cars future ,. Running in allows the cars aluminium pistons, crank case , valves to gradually swell and acclimatise the hot engine condition s. If engine is revved at high rpm during running in , its parts will have mismatched dimensions, leading to permanent malfunction, low f e, misfire, low power.It will require FREQUENT REPAIR WORK . It is ok for dealer to get it done. But for an individual custemer, it going to be headache , loss of peace of mind. Yes, cost of headache will be the discount qouted.

Ideally TD cars go back to factory for reasearch purpose after they complete 60 to 80 k running, So it is better not to become lab guineapig.

Verna is a best buy in its segment, unless you and rear passengers are a 6 feeter. Wonderful car,Cruze is a failure in India and your town[probably] due to its low GC. It scrapes the bumpy roads., compelling the driver to run the 140 horses at low speed.

Bye the way, how does dealer selects TD custemer s?, to prevent them from revving the car, prevent them from testing suspension, GC .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17
Testing the suspension is not really possible here, actually. The dealership’s driver takes you to a long stretch of well constructed road and does not allow you to take the car beyond their predefined boundaries (although, I, being related to the owner, did take it wherever I wanted). And like I said, they allow very few customers even that much.

However, you’re right about the revving. Obviously, this car has been revved pretty enthusiastically in its running-in period. Everyone else on the thread is of the opinion that it’s worth it to sacrifice the benefits I’d have gained from proper running in to be able to buy a Chevy Cruze instead of a Hyundai Verna Fluidic, so I am leaning towards that right now.

Low ground clearance is not a problem for me—it did not scrape even once during the TD, and I took it on some pretty bad roads. The Cruze, overall, seemed like a fantastic car. It was an awful lot of fun to drive. I hated the hard clutch, but I’ll get used to that. The turbo lag is also noticeable, but we do have another car (a Hyundai Santro) for daily driving in traffic.

As for test drive cars, I am not sure how it works elsewhere, but here the dealership owner is required to keep one TD car for six months and then sell it off at a discounted price. It’ll be replaced by a new car from Chevy, as far as my understanding goes. Don’t ask me about the economics of it—I have no idea.

Last edited:
:please:@aryaush, no one on this thread has adviced you to sacrifice benefits of the running in period, please read the post again.

Car revved beyond the running in limits are bound to change internal dimension of pistons, crank case, leading to gaps in between them.The gaps lead to leakage of fuel through them, leading to rise in oil levels and reduction in viscosity of oil. This in turn leads to emission problems and friction wear\tear of engine.

However, if the dealer is your relative, take the concerned Td accompanying driver in the confidence, find out how much the car was revved up by TD drivers,

Please talk with /e-communicate with the G M engineers regarding violation of running in limits.
Tell us the outcome.

run in is not so important in present day cars.

Buy the td car
if
1. First and fore most if you are that satisfied.
2.If you believe that dealer.

I hope , td cars are factory owned and not by dealer.
so the dealer tries to sell a td car with the % of depreciation as calculated by insurance or some what ever rules.

You say the dealer is not having good business with Cruz in that small town. so just to show a cruze sale he may be pushing a good car with huge discount - may be a goodwill for you as he himself have a td car.

Any how , even a td car has a history. Ask the td cars job card /service histories.

Ask them to connect a scanner and check all details. I mean , ask them to connect then and there once you ask , else they may erase a error code if at it was present.

A 3000kms is less and 5L discount as said is huge one. But in any case , the car need to seen in person before any one here could give you a advice.

Hope its a genuine car and best wishes to acquire it.

Why the hell this dealer wants to sell the TD car,? Is he going to shut down the dealership?
Dealers keep selling the TD cars either when they become old or a new version is launched.

Ideally TD cars go back to factory for reasearch purpose after they complete 60 to 80 k running, So it is better not to become lab guineapig.
I don't think so. Why would they want old TD cars for that? They can pick up cars from anywhere. Besides how many cars would they need. There are so many dealers. All the cars can't be taken back. Also why would the manufacturer wand to do R&D on discontinued vehicles.

Yes, few TD cars go for research back to factory, not all.Remaining are sold to ' used car buyers'
It is always good deal for factory to bring back the TD car from dealer rather than the other individual car owners.Also a proper record of history of a TD car is available with the dealer for research purpose as compared to pvt. cars.

Top Bottom