Does Hyundai CRDi Engines Trouble After 70K Kms?

1. Hey, Have heard from several People that, CNG causes Engine Problems, petrol engines are not designed to run on CNG, etc... How far is ti true ? My got CNG in my Baleno in 2010, and is still running very good. Recently bought Xcent... was thinking to install CNG latter in it..

2. Do hyundai cars really give troubles after 60-70-80K Kms. ?? Or is it the case with all cars

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
1. Hey, Have heard from several People that, CNG causes Engine Problems, petrol engines are not designed to run on CNG, etc... How far is ti true ? My got CNG in my Baleno in 2010, and is still running very good. Recently bought Xcent... was thinking to install CNG latter in it..

2. Do hyundai cars really give troubles after 60-70-80K Kms. ?? Or is it the case with all cars
You can very much install cng in your xcent provided your daily commute is above 50kms.
I got cng (normal and not sequential) fitted in my santro (2009 model) in november 2011.

Car is at 132000 kms, ran 80000+kms on cng. Daily drive of 90kms. and not once i needed to change any parts of my car Or any engine overhaul. Just normal service including oil change.

Although have replaced cng parts worth 5k - 7k in between. I get cng kit serviced every 20k kms. The main thing here is to run the car on petrol for atleast 3-4kms every morning. (Not needed if you install sequential since it will do that on its own)

And that's the reason car is doing great.

I did change a car part in which all the spark plugs are fitted, don't know if the cng was the culprit or normal failure.

Last edited:
Thanks dear, Yes, we too had to change the Spark Plugs in Baleno that was due to CNG. Just a Question, What's there to service in CNG, apart from Tuning ?

Hyundai car diesel engines are worthless after 80,000 kms or so. Best to stick to the multijet engines of Fiat found in Suzuki cars and other cars. Ford diesels are also reliable. Hyundai diesel engines worst in terms of reliability

Hyundai car diesel engines are worthless after 80,000 kms or so. Best to stick to the multijet engines of Fiat found in Suzuki cars and other cars. Ford diesels are also reliable. Hyundai diesel engines worst in terms of reliability
Yes, YES, on the issue of "worthless Hyundai Diesel Engines", I found out ALL the following :

• UN passed a resolution banning Hyundai Diesel Cars.
  • Martians are up against Hyundai Diesels.
  • In the photos sent back by Cassini Spacecraft, from Planet Saturn, Thor and Loki are seen holding placards that claim Hyundai Diesels are worthless [lol]

Jokes apart, my 2012 Verna Diesel has crossed 67,000 km and I am interested to know "how Mr.rkiefpm declared that Hyundai diesel engines are worthless after 80,000 kms". I did a Google search on THIS TOPIC, and came up with these results (link and link). I couldn't find anything disturbing to substantiate YOUR STATEMENT. Could you please provide DETAILS of YOUR RESEARCH, so that everyone could benefit.

PS: In Nov 1999, I lost my first Car on the 4th day of delivery, from a Gated Colony with 24x7 Security. Car was never traced. I did NOT tell others "NOT to park their Cars there". But, I created enough scenes to tighten Security; mine was the last Car to be stolen from that Colony, till date. You get the drift ?

kkn13

Suspended
1.3 MJD, 1.5 DCi(K9K) , Toyota 2.5D are examples of some extremely fuss free engines over the years
^^ Ive had a bunch of cars with these engines and still have 2 of them in my garage
Hyundai used to have issues in the past but with the advent of cars since the 1st gen i20, they really upped their game and are easily on par with the above engines, probably even more refined
I did alot of research before plunging for a Tucson (2.0 CRDI)
1.6 CRDI and 1.4 CRDI are some excellent examples of engines that have proven their reliability
I dont think there is any doubts on Hyundai quality and reliability anymore
In fact Hyundai is the only manufacturer to give a fair balance of power,refinement,maintenance etc right now for the price imho

As for Ford diesels, previous gen Fiesta, Figo and Endeavour had a tonne of issues and maintenance costs
Current gen is improved but 1st batches of Ecosport had a few engine failure cases in 2017 (replaced free of cost by Ford, no questions asked so no doubts there)
But Hyundai is still ahead , near enough to challenge maruti as the segment leader

Last edited:
Kind of wondering what is the reality based on some of the comments on this thread.

My cousin has a 2012 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi that has currently done 67,000 kms and he is wondering how much longer he can keep the car safely.

We checked a couple of local car workshops and pre-owned car dealers and most of them seem to say Hyundai Engines last only 1 Lakh kms and then problems will start after that. Based on this the general market perception regarding Hyundai Engines is that they are not as reliable as the Japanese Engines or the Fiat Engines in terms of long term reliability...

Do we have owners who have crossed the 1 Lakh kms on the 1.6 CRDi Engine?
What is the long term reliability of this engine?!

kkn13

Suspended
Kind of wondering what is the reality based on some of the comments on this thread.

My cousin has a 2012 Fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi that has currently done 67,000 kms and he is wondering how much longer he can keep the car safely.

We checked a couple of local car workshops and pre-owned car dealers and most of them seem to say Hyundai Engines last only 1 Lakh kms and then problems will start after that. Based on this the general market perception regarding Hyundai Engines is that they are not as reliable as the Japanese Engines or the Fiat Engines in terms of long term reliability...

Do we have owners who have crossed the 1 Lakh kms on the 1.6 CRDi Engine?
What is the long term reliability of this engine?!
Nothing of that sort will happen, Hyundais are as reliable as Japs now
This is a tried and tested engine
Depends on how it was driven however and if it was rough used, only expense in future >1L km will be turbo

I see you are a member of Team BHP as well, should be interesting to know other opinions!!

Last edited:
Folks, the only Hyundai CRDI which had an issue post 1 lakh was Accent CRDI, the 3 pot engine. All other CRDI's are pretty reliable if taken care well.

Very few are unlucky to have engine troubles at early stage despite being maintained well. Usually CRDI's should run 1.5 lakh easily without any issue.

I am speaking from experience, my case is a little different because I think I have the underdog Hyundai ever produced for Indian market and nobody wanted it back then [:D]

My 2006 Elatra CRDI is at 3.6 lakh without any major issues. After 2 lakh, I started changing oil at 5-8K mark, never crossed 8K. I think it's all about how you maintain and drive the vehicle.

I would like to change my view on Hyundai,as now Hyundai offers 3 years warranty standard with unlimited Kms,and extension upto 5th year to.So its a safe bet for those who have high running.

I am using I20 crdi.Engine never had problem.Going for clutch overhaul @ 78k.
Advaith is quoting 24K. it include entire clutch assembly replacement.I feel the car can still go 5-7k without clutch overhaul.I use mobil 1 Dalvac 5W40 every 12K.Change oil filter every 6k +Top up.engine never had any trouble.I have also used liqimoly Ceratec.its an absolute gem when it comes to friction reducer.

Top Bottom