Does Buying Diesel Car Over Petrol Gives Financial Edge?

Vaibhav

You have time till end of next month. If you can really push the dealer you will defenately get your car. But really need to make his life miserable asking him now and then, push him everyday and I even suggest, make a compromise on color, variant too !!

I have a very good experience killing dealers to get the vehicle. I was successful in getting a figo, swift, ritz, eeco, new fiesta all in a day or same day. If a dealer smells that you are jiddy type customer and he may loose you or he feels that your are just irritating, then he will find a way and try to stop some other customer who is sober. This works well. Try your luck !!

Gurrula bhai my dealer is shameless. I have irritated him a lot for last 3 months. Contacted maruti 10-15 times over past 2 weeks but even maruti is not helping me out , just sending automated replies
Finally 2 days back i have filed a complaint at Consumer Online Resource & Empowerment Centre . They do have a good track record of solving complaints. Lets see what happens now [anger]

who is this dealer. which vehicle you booked, have you paid any advance.
Let me see if I can use some influence in Delhi[:)]

I suggest you visit Maruti Delhi office or Directly write to national marketing head. I hope you can find this info very easily. Try like that

@ TSIVipul,thats true, but not to the extent of extending 500 kms per month. 200-250 kms would do. and you have left the maintenance part.diesel car higher maintenance & also for the high mileage.

last month uncle took my car for a week & gave his indica xeta. god its literally drinking. unable to bear, took out my abandoned bike
Okay buddy,then take 200-250 kms.Again the net advantage is just a hundred Rs or two per month.
Definitely the petrol cars feel like they drink a lot but at an overall scale there is no financial edge at all against petrol cars in diesels.

Congrats Vaibhav.

Okay buddy,then take 200-250 kms.Again the net advantage is just a hundred Rs or two per month.
Definitely the petrol cars feel like they drink a lot but at an overall scale there is no financial edge at all against petrol cars in diesels.

Congrats Vaibhav.
In CBA, I factored in following:
Premium paid for diesel over petrol
Interest paid on the premium
Higher service cost for diesel
Per km running cost (per liter cos of the respective fuel divided by FE)
Resale Value of the car:
Time frame: 5 years/60 months

Computation was for hatch and not for sedan or above as 42 % market is captured by hatches.

Break even point was 550 kms per month. One can factor in another 100-150 kms for smoothness of the pertol cars.
If you want I can share the complete excel sheet again which is already on the forum.

There are certain falls assumptions while computation which lead you to draw premature/false conclusions. Let me calculate and share it

Last edited:
Vaibhov

Congrats man, you do not need to worry on this tax issue !!

But how much you delay getting your car, will be costing to your pocket in terms of everything for not having car in time, so this is some simple commerce, hence keep trying to get your car quickly

I wish all the best to you

But with decision on tax issue, now the focus shifted to narrow down the prices between petrol and diesel. Diesel price hike expected soon !! oh a bad news for diesel car owners if this happens, you do not get that extra money spent on diesel quickly.

^^Buddy I have already mentioned that if both the cars are priced nearly same then the diesel car gives the financial edge.
But with the gap in pricing increasing,the edge becomes blunt.

Take it this way:
The time I bought TSi,I was thinking of going for TDi A/T but at the end we decided that instead of spending those 4 lacs I decided to drive the car 1 lac kms for those 4 lacs and the extra interest I'd have paid in form of interest because my CA told me to limit my cash purchase till 17-17.5 lacs.
+Diesel car also consumes fuel.I din't think very much but my calculation was simple:-
TSi+4 lacs=TDi.
Now TSi will do 1 lac kms in two years for 6 lac Rs.
TDi will do 1 lac kms in two years for 3-3.5 lac Rs.
Overall a difference of more than 1 lac with added interest on loan.

Overall:TSi bought against a cash payment.

Points to be noted:
1) Swift ZXi costs 6,51,894 and swift ZDi costs 7,71,962 (On road price in Cochin, Kerala)
2)Monthly running:2k+200 kms(2400 kms of weekend trips for whole year).
Fuel prices:
Petrol:About 73/liter.
Diesel:About 45/liter.(I took round average figures considering whole country prices).

The difference between FE delivered by Petrol and Diesel cars is not just 2kmpl. For your eg, say swift zxi gives 12kmpl in city and 15kmpl in highway averaging upto 13.5kmpl. Whereas, ZDi, delivering 14kmpl in city and 19kmpl in highways averaging 16.5kmpl.

So, price on fuel per month would round up-to
ZXi: 2400/13.5 * 73 ~= 13000.
Zdi: 2400/16.5 * 100 = 6545.00

Ok, now considering extra runs, as per your calculations,1406.
So for ZXi 13000, ZDi 8000.

3) Difference between on-road prices is 1.20lakh.
Loan amount for ZXI: 3.51 and EMI: 8775
Loan amount for ZDI: 4.71 and EMI: 11775

Amount spent per month:
ZXI: 21775 ZDi: 19775.

Remember, you have covered 500kms extra per month, yet saved 1200Rs.

Once more I am attaching calculations factoring in:
OTR, Discounts, Loan at 80%, ROI @12.5, total amount paid for loan plus down payment, maintenance, insurance, total running cost for 36000 kms (600 kms per month)
Resale value of car. Resale is taken from various online listings such as olx, carwale. These are average values for 5 year old diesel and petrol cars with Odo reading in the range of 40000-46000 kms.

Caution: Do not compare segment above diesel with lower segment petrol just to prove the point. Want to compare AT diesel then compare with petrol AT within the same trim. By no means one can compare Verna Diesel AT with Verna Petrol base MT trim.

If someone buy car with 100 % down payment, balance will further tilt in favour of Diesel as maximum ROI is 9 % minus TDS @ 10% which bring net yield to 8 % or less.

Note Please do not bring personal biases in this, maintain objectivity so that we don't mislead newbies

Conclusions: Per month running of 600 will result in 650+ per month savings over petrol

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Vaibhov

Congrats man, you do not need to worry on this tax issue !!

But how much you delay getting your car, will be costing to your pocket in terms of everything for not having car in time, so this is some simple commerce, hence keep trying to get your car quickly

I wish all the best to you

But with decision on tax issue, now the focus shifted to narrow down the prices between petrol and diesel. Diesel price hike expected soon !! oh a bad news for diesel car owners if this happens, you do not get that extra money spent on diesel quickly.
. I was more worried about hike in diesel cars than anything else.
But i hope bloomberg news is correct as it was not from FM official [roll]
Yeah i will send a hardcopy to maruti headoffice and i have already filed a complaint at Consumer Online Resource & Empowerment Centre. I will also trouble dealer and maruti till they give me my car [lol]

Vaibahv, Are you buying Swift. Its improved every aspect over the previous gen but breaks are big worry for L and V trims. Have a through TD of LDi/VDi and ZDi. Feel the difference Generally SA bring ZDi for TD.

Top Bottom