Does Adding Aftermarket Accessories Void Warranty?

Thread Starter #1
My dad just booked an Ertiga LXi(no not getting rid of the 800),this is the bare bones model so lot of room for DIY's.

I was informed that adding after market stereo and other electrical stuff will void the warranty.

Is this true?Is there anyway to install a stereo and other lighting(fog,LED)without cutting into the factory harness?

Please share your views.

Thanks

Yes, adding extra accessories/lights surely voids the warranty. To add extra lights, leds its better to run a parallel wiring harness for your DIY stuff. I did the same for adding after-market stereo, a pair of fog lamps and underbody LEDs and roots horn in my neighbour's alto. Do not forget to add extra fuses.

For adding LEDs, we can insert the wires into the couplers of parking light and cover them with electrical tape.

And during the free servicing befriend the mechanic and make sure he does not mention anything about the after-market additions in the job sheet.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
It does void the warranty and extended warranty is what I have been told.

@Shantanu.Iko:Will take a look at running a parallel wiring any other options.

There is a law in the US, which prevents car companies from voiding warranty just cause aftermarket stuff is added.We should do something about this here.The car manufactures are taking you for a ride.

The accessories(stereo, speakers) are just so obsolete and featureless so paying premium for them is just a big waste.

It does void the warranty and extended warranty is what I have been told.
@Shantanu.Iko:Will take a look at running a parallel wiring any other options.
There is a law in the US, which prevents car companies from voiding warranty just cause aftermarket stuff is added.We should do something about this here.The car manufactures are taking you for a ride.
The accessories(stereo, speakers) are just so obsolete and featureless so paying premium for them is just a big waste.
As long as no wires are cut and no damage to the original equipments is caused, the warranty won't be void. As far as Maruti is concerned, most accessories shops are aware of their cars and the chances of warranty getting void are less compared to new manufacturer's cars like VW, Nissan etc.

About the law- If there is a law in U.S that prevents car companies from voiding warranty, I am sure there would be laws for accessories shops too so that they don't void the warranty of car by plonking any accessories into the car. Do we in India have any such rule from accessories sides? No, i don't think so. So, things are interlinked and we just can't blame a particular practice.

Thread Starter #9
I am pretty sure there are guidelines for accessory shops.I think the end user should educate themselves.Especially when it comes to enthusiasts like a lot of us here, the warranty void if tinkered with is big problem.

A future amendment is the making I hope.It has my full support.

I am pretty sure there are guidelines for accessory shops.I think the end user should educate themselves.Especially when it comes to enthusiasts like a lot of us here, the warranty void if tinkered with is big problem.
A future amendment is the making I hope.It has my full support.
Guidelines! Do you think the accessories market is that organized in India yet? No way.

Thread Starter #11
I meant the US.They do have guidelines for everything.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo on a maruti vehicle and have problems with warranty and extended warranty?

Last edited:
I meant the US.They do have guidelines for everything.
Arreee.
You said U.S has laws for car companies, I said U.S would surely have laws for accessories shops too. So, in U.S it works both ways.

But in India, we do not have any laws for accessories which is an unorganized sector, so car companies can very well caution you to take care of warranty.

As far as amendments are concerned in India, it seems a long way to reach where developed countries already are.

Thread Starter #13
Not really, the film ban is being followed by accessory shops here.So all it takes is for the people and the law makers to be firm.

Education does play a big role.Educated masses can change how things really are.

I think we have gone off topic, so lets come back to the discussion at hand.Is there any way to keep the warranty and get a stereo installed?

Not really, the film ban is being followed by accessory shops here.So all it takes is for the people and the law makers to be firm.
Education does play a big role.Educated masses can change how things really are.
I think we have gone off topic, so lets come back to the discussion at hand.Is there any way to keep the warranty and get a stereo installed?
Irony! Such inspirational words on 'bringing the change' are actually off-topic!

Anyways, there is almost 100% possibility of installing stereo and speakers without voiding warranty. Its done by many on new cars as well cars from Maruti. It should be the simplest thing to do for an accessory shop guy.

Thread Starter #15
I know right, its upto us to bring in the change.But that's not what we are discussing right now.Good suggestion for a new thread though.The discussion will continue[:D]

Any info on how they go about the installation?

Top Bottom