Does ABS make you forget the art of braking?

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Fact 1: braking on motorcycles is an art. You are either too hard on the brakes and lock up the front and go flying over the wheels. Or you brake too little and collide with the object in the front. This continues till you learn to tread the fine line.

Fact 2: Some motorcycles come with ABS

Fact 3: Many dont

what happens is that when you get an ABS equipped bike, your natural reaction becomes to grab the brakes.

Now that means that you have lost the art of braking that took you years perfect.

So my question is that does that mean that you will have to re-learn the art of braking, or do you never forget it, like a kid never forgets to walk?
And if you have to re-learn it, will it take the same time to re-learn it, or a lesser time to brush up the skills.

In other words, does it make sense to buy an ABS equipped bike, when after a few years you will make a move to a non-ABS bike?

AMG you cannot say, one has forgotten the mastering of brakes.

All you can take it in this way, ABS is a technical advancement, mainly a safety measure to overcome and handle the bike when obstacle comes in front of a rider suddenly.

Keep in mind ABS is not a substitute for dangerous and rash driving.
Its only a safety measure if driven safely.

All these years without ABS riders mainly used to rely on engine braking, either by downshifting & remaining at correct gear at correct speeds.

ABS helps in better handling while in an emergency situation.
But with ABS and many other safety features like Traction Control, makes even a bad rider a good biker, by compensating his bad skills and makes him a perfect rider.

Well dear AMG as well as Mukesh,ABS/EBD/Traction control is not meant to be tried and tested all and everywhere.In fact there is no difference between ABS and non-ABS equipped brakes until the panic braking is done.And its a fact that all these tech goods are applicable only until the driver is not out of mind,once driver is then no technology helps.This is what makes difference between a rookie and a pro,right dear Mukesh?
And everyone knows that however expert the driver is,in the situations of panic braking all the experience,expertise and all is remains kept aside and person goes out of mind.This is where only the experience and practice works and that's the reason speed freaks die less due to high speeds mishaps while slow drivers die in high speed mishaps because they don't expertise the true tight situations and end up their high speed drives in God's hands.

Braking on bikes is quite easy with disk braked,simple it is press the front brake lever quite slowly and you will get the perfect and very hard braking.If you press the lever suddenly then you will end up locking the front wheel and causing an accident while if you do it very slowly then you will collide with other vehicles,so do it just slowly,not very slowly or suddenly.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

AMG

Suspended
i do know how to brake.

what i meant was will i forget it if i get too much used to abs bikes?

For bikes i have never driven one with ABS, but for car ,yes you feel brakes of Non-ABS ones are bit less, when compared to the one's you get used to after year's of braking in ABS one's.

+1 to Mukesh.
If you are driving ABS equipped vehicle for a long time,then definitely arises the difference,but this difference arises only in case of panic braking,else both are same till then.

Top Bottom