Does ABS Equipped Cars’ Brake Pads Wear Faster?

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys just this thought came to my mind while seeing the fellow member said, that his brake pads lasted for 73,000 kms.

Brake pads on my Hawk wore out in 40,000 kms.
So as my car is equipped with ABS, does it means more wear of the brake pads is more when compared to Non-ABS one's?

What do you all have to say?

Re: Does Car Equipped With ABS Prone to more Brake pad Wear???

depends on the usage.

how do you apply the brakes ?

hard on or gentle with pumping action?

Thread Starter #3

depends on the usage.

how do you apply the brakes ?

hard on or gentle with pumping action?
With ABS one must not pump the brakes.

The brake has to be pushed in order to stop.

I am gentle while using brakes, at the same time i use Engine braking too, by downshifting accordingly.

For Scorpio brake pads need a replacement every 30,000 kms as per Maintenance Schedule Chart.

But mine lasted till 40,000 kms.

There might be an uneven wear to the disc owing to the nature of operating of ABS brakes, but I don't think there will be too much pad wear.

With ABS one must not pump the brakes.

The brake has to be pushed in order to stop.

I am gentle while using brakes, at the same time i use Engine braking too, by downshifting accordingly.

For Scorpio brake pads need a replacement every 30,000 kms as per Maintenance Schedule Chart.

But mine lasted till 40,000 kms.
i am just counting the reasons which might increase the wear and tear of the brake pads.
I am new to ABS so am on the learning curve.

Under normal braking ABS is not activated. The braking is like non ABS. Also the ABS does nt work to complete standstill. t has got a cut off point.

Pad wear depends on the compound and on the disc surface. Drilled and/or grooved discs wear quicker, but improve efficiency.

Harder pads last longer, but are not as good in stopping power as softer pads, which won't last as long.

Another criteria is the heat range.Some pads have an extreme wide heat range. They will often not work very well from cold. Fading is hardly come into play. These tend tolast a bit longer.

Under normal braking ABS is not activated. The braking is like non ABS. Also the ABS does nt work to complete standstill. t has got a cut off point.

Pad wear depends on the compound and on the disc surface. Drilled and/or grooved discs wear quicker, but improve efficiency.

Harder pads last longer, but are not as good in stopping power as softer pads, which won't last as long.

Another criteria is the heat range.Some pads have an extreme wide heat range. They will often not work very well from cold. Fading is hardly come into play. These tend tolast a bit longer.
May I please know the points where ABS is effective in braking and if there is any cut off point at higher speeds?

I am using a car with ABS+EBD, the braking is very effective than cars without; however, it would be interesting to understand the mechanism in details.

Please note for me this is "Need to Know" stuff; not "Good to know" type.

Re: Does ABS Equipped Cars’ Brake Pads Wear Faster?

May I please know the points where ABS is effective in braking and if there is any cut off point at higher speeds?

I am using a car with ABS+EBD, the braking is very effective than cars without; however, it would be interesting to understand the mechanism in details.

Please note for me this is "Need to Know" stuff; not "Good to know" type.
The cut off point is just before standstill, which is a few kph.

The braking is no more efficient than on cars without ABS (normal braking, where ABS is not activated. You can feel the difference in the pedal when the ABS is activated) unless it is an emergency braking, where the wheel otherwise would lock up. In one instance ABS is even unwanted. This is where down loose gravel tracks breaking is needed. Best braking under such circumstances is to have the wheels locked in order to build up a wedge of gravel to slow down.

ABS systems vary greatly, depending on the controlling and the pulsing speed. The more pulses per second the shorter the braking distance.

The one big advantage ABS has over non ABS is the fact that the car is still controllable under full braking.

Brake efficiency is not depending on the pedal pressure. The pedal pressure needed to have the desired braking effect depends on the friction material, the size of the pad, the lever, the load and the efficiency of the servo.

The cut off point is just before standstill, which is a few kph.

ABS systems vary greatly, depending on the controlling and the pulsing speed. The more pulses per second the shorter the braking distance.
Does that mean there is no cut off at higher speeds? The stopping distance is inversely proportional to speed of the vehicle.

The one big advantage ABS has over non ABS is the fact that the car is still controllable under full braking.

Brake efficiency is not depending on the pedal pressure. The pedal pressure needed to have the desired braking effect depends on the friction material, the size of the pad, the lever, the load and the efficiency of the servo.
Thanks! Adds to the knowledge.

Does that mean there is no cut off at higher speeds? The stopping distance is inversely proportional to speed of the vehicle.
There is no high speed cut off point.

The stopping distance is indeed inversely to the speed of the vehicle. However, when making a emergency brake maneuver the deceleration time and distance depend on how much time actually is being used for breaking during the deceleration cycle, which is determined by the amount of pulses and the length of time between the pulses (releasing the brake pressure).

Top Bottom