Do You Switch off Your 2 wheeler on a Slope?

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys i thought to share one thing, do you switch off your 2 wheeler on a slope or down road.

I am not doing it in my Activa or bike, what i heard from one of my friend that doing so may damage piston of engine.

And also Activa shows some resistance when switched off on down roads.
Is it mainly because of 4 stroke engine?

I used to drive TVS earlier in my school days, but it had no sign of resistance.
May be was it because of 2stroke?

So what's your take on this guys?

Re: Save fuel by 5% to 40%

Activa shows that kind of sign when moving downwards with brakes engaged.
But my splendor old model doesn't show these signs, think there's a difference with braking system though both the vehicles come with drum brakes.

Re: Save fuel by 5% to 40%

@mukesh...apart from lack of engine braking there is nothing wrong with coasting though not sure about gearless scooters, transmisson *could* be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four stroke or Two stroke has nothing to do with reduction of speed on a slope!

My point is that it is dangerous to do so just to save a few pennies. Have you ever thought about the Safety of the driver as well as the pedestrian when you drive a vehicle with the engine OFF because you basically are then dependent only on the Brakes for the vehicle to stop (since you cannot accelerate).

My request to you and the members is to desist from such misadventures.

B

Switching OFF an engine while descending inclines!!
Never ever at any cost,if you want brakes,then you have them,then why to play with your engine,let the engine brakes work only on snow,slush and rain..

Practically, it can be done without much risk since the major control (for low cc bikes) are mechanically controlled, but ideally one should try avoiding these things.

I have done this all the time in my 8 years of bike riding (Bajaj Caliber). Only major reason is to save fuel. [:D]

But now I have Suzuki Access and this is not happening on access, Even if I stop giving acceleration it slows down even on the slope. [surprise]

In a gearless scooter the engine plays no role (as far as I know) in braking in a slope, when compared to the control what a geared bike gives you. So I dont think it should make any issue in your Activa.

In my bike (Previously Victor, now Discover) the engine tends to get rich (mechanic says it that way) & idling increases abnormally when you start the bike after going down a slope with engine off. Secondly the risk of not having the engine braking is something I dont want to take.

its actually dangerous if you don't know the slope

for me a regular ride and a slope am aware off
i turn it off
if LOS is clear than you can however never on a new slope

even on a known or unknown slope it's NOT advisable to switch off engine.Just for saving few bucks don't risk with your life. You need engine braking, brakes to have good control of your vehicle.

be it 2-wheeler or 4-wheeler it's a strict no no.

I will never switch off the engine at any cost, either it is two wheeler or four wheeler.

As like everyone said "Engine Braking" is manditory in slopes.

Instead of switching off in my bike i just used to apply clutch fully on slops and drive in appropriate gear according to the speed of the vehicle

this will do favor for mileage and at the same time bike is in control too

even it is not advisable, it is possible in 'gearless' scooter.first apply brakes and reduce the speed below to 10km/hr(release accelerator completely).Then you can start to feel the scooter in neutral gear and release the brakes. now the scooter will start to move fast. Do not switch off the scooter while doing this. If you are start to lose control or speed increases , Apply the brakes and increase accelerator gently. it will engage gear and it will keep the scooter in control.

Eventhough we can save fuel by swithching off the engine at slopes, its really dangerous as brakes will be totally drained when vehicle is in neutral. Instead we can maintain the minimum speed at top gears, no harm in it and also drinks less fuel.

Top Bottom