Do You Switch off Headlights and Engine at Red-Signals?

Do you switch off headlights And Engine at red-signals?

• Yes

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 21.1%

• Total voters
I switch off the Head Lights most of the time at Red Signals.

It does effect the Fuel Efficiency as any electricity drawn from the battery needs to be replenished by the engine - The alternator does this job.
This puts load on the engine which increases the fuel consumption.
The increase may be marginal.
However it is substantial over a period of time.
All electrical accessories consume power from the engine indirectly.

Even i switch off the head lamps at the signal , as the battery gets charged.
One more thing I want to share.. new cars have the plastic glass as the old ones have the glass.. when the head lamps are on for long time it generates lots of heat in the long run the assembly gets dim and also might melt. Example can find on the taxi's, company cabs etc..

A very good poll Diabloo [clap]. An eye opener for me, never thought about it. If the wait at red light is for more time, say for more than a minute, then I do turn off the engine but other than that never thought of what problems it could cause to others.

Point noted and will be followed from now on.

Reviving this thread again, I do and urge people to do it. Saves money by

1) Longer headlamp life
2) Less load on batt-->Alt-->Engine-->Fuel-->Pocket[:D]

I just hate to say this, yet to be honest, I must admit that I do not usually switch on the headlamps at all, when there are sufficient lights coming out from the streetlamps. :stupid: Again I normally switch off my headlamps, when I find any vehicle from the opposite side is also coming with it's own headlights off. This is possibly because old habits die hard. But I know that driving with headlamps at low beam is safer, not just only for my sake but for the sake of the traffic coming from the opposite side at an undivided road. That is why I try to switch on the headlamps at the slightest excuse. And I normally do not use high beam within the city, as I have an upgraded headlamps.

At regular traffic lights, If i need to wait more than 30 seconds, i turn off the engine. However, I never turned off the headlamps. Realised it after this thread that it is a very good practice to follow.

I am still not convinced that the thought did not hit me until today.

Thanks to all.

I normally switch it off, when there is a timer running and I have 30+ seconds left.

It will reduce the glare for the vehicle standing in front of you and moving traffic in other directions.

I normally switch off engine and head lights at signal if duration is more than 30 sec (turbo take little time).
Has two benefit:
1. Battery life
2. Save fuel hence low carbon foot print.

Switch on your car hazard lights & you can hear the engine note change slightly just like when the ac kicks in,i always switch off the headlight & ac(unless its really hot) at signals,but engine is usually running if under 1 min signal.

i don't do that but yes i do put my headlight on low beam if incase it is at high beam.
And back in US if you switch off your headlights and that to at a red ligth and a cop sees you, boy that means you just bought yourself a good $100 ticket[:)]

Top Bottom