Do You Drive With High-Beams At Night?

Do You Drive With High-Beams?

• Yes

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 76.0%

• Total voters
I normally use High beams on dark roads. I must admit i do use high beams quite frequently especially on highways. I have to travel on NH6 a lot, and those who have driven on this highway must be aware of the fact that it is fully of heavy vehicles with their high beams on. Also they refuse to lower the beam even after repeated alerts leading to almost complete blinding. So to avoid it i have to use the high beams.

Use highbeam only when required!

when opposite car flashes , lower yours and repeat the same when they are on high beam - some morons wont listen/understand etc.

i have a friend who used to have a ikon(not holy satan , this guy sold his diesel ikon). he wanted to check milage of his car , as in pondy to chennai drive , i drove at 100 to 120 average.
so he took the driving seat , turn up the volume to 20 and 25 in a crappy sony speakers and top of that no ac(it was some what hot even in night that time) and was driving at 60 from chennai to pondy. he turned high beam from chennai and never ever bother to dim and respond to opposite car signal , though most of them flashed their lights - it was the worst ever ride for me till now , Did i mention , he also sang song along with the crappy speakers!
whole of the journey i was afraid due to the light as some one who may be blinded come straight to the car! On top of that he complains about on comming traffic light and it blind his eyes!

oops i forgot to mention - he switched back to low beam only in his home!
Look to the left of the opposite car when you drive in night. Need some practice though - You will get used for sure

@ Alok I would recommend that type of driving which you are doing now. It would irritate others coming in the opposite direction if you switch to high-beams. If the vehicle coming in the opposite direction is using high-beam signal him to lower his beam and if that moron doesn listen you also switch over to high-beam! You just have to get used to such morons who drive with high-beams always even inside city!

@ Ilango Well why din you tell him to lower his beam when an oncoming vehicle is coming? But in ECR most of the cars comes with high-beams and almost 75% don bother to reduce the beam! BTW why look at left side of opposite car? Wont that blind your eyes? I will always have an eye on the left border of the road to keep track of the road.

And nowadays more than 75% car drivers use high-beams at nights inside city itself! Its so irritating to drive at nights these days! And believe these morons who use high-beams inside city give respect only to bigger cars. For example if a car coming in the opposite direction has high-beam and i switch over to high-beam in my Safari , the opposite car lowers the beam immediately! I never get the same respect in my Verna! This has happened many times to me and both the cars are running in stock lights only!

Last edited:
At such situations i don't look at the High beam, Instead look on to left of the road.
I use Automatic headlamps of My Scorpio in which only low beam is activated.
Which swiwels and sees it doesn't blur opposite vehicle.
The light is powerful enough that people blink hoping i have switched on High Beam.
Once i confirm by flashing to them that i am using low beam & not high beam, they switch over to low beam.

Night is always fun to drive.

!

@ Ilango Well why din you tell him to lower his beam when an oncoming vehicle is coming? But in ECR most of the cars comes with high-beams and almost 75% don bother to reduce the beam! BTW why look at left side of opposite car? Wont that blind your eyes? I will always have an eye on the left border of the road to keep track of the road.
I mean the same!
left of opposite car means , its driver side of the opposite car - hope you got me and not the ACTUAL left of the opposite car!

I use high beam only if i can't see road . Else 90% time low beam even on highway(well got habit of low beam because 2times fine i got in punjab due to high beams on highway)

This may sound OT:
Cant we do some adjustment with the headlights so that the low beam goes more far and the High beam can be used only for Dipper? Just thought so.[roll]

This may sound OT:
Cant we do some adjustment with the headlights so that the low beam goes more far and the High beam can be used only for Dipper? Just thought so.[roll]
If u do that then if u need high beams to see far on the road,the road surface wont be clear and you would no see any big stone or a speedbreaker or hole from adequate distance.Anyways u can try it your self.If your car has a reflection type headlights like the latest maruti 800 has then u would be having a button for adjusting your lamp's hight then adjust the switch to highest position.If your headlights are the old style like in old maruti 800 then adjust it by tightening the screw located above each headlight.BTW which car u are talking about??

If the speed is more than 60Kmph, low beams are useless. You will be going faster than you can see the road ahead. You will need high beams.

If u do that then if u need high beams to see far on the road,the road surface wont be clear and you would no see any big stone or a speedbreaker or hole from adequate distance.Anyways u can try it your self.If your car has a reflection type headlights like the latest maruti 800 has then u would be having a button for adjusting your lamp's hight then adjust the switch to highest position.If your headlights are the old style like in old maruti 800 then adjust it by tightening the screw located above each headlight.BTW which car u are talking about??
I have a DZire![roll]

Wat i told you , i face that in my i10 and since swift's seats are of less hight then i10 so u will have even more problem than me if you do that adjustment!
BTW you found the switch??Its called headlamp leveling switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wat i told you , i face that in my i10 and since swift's seats are of less hight then i10 so u will have even more problem than me if you do that adjustment!
BTW you found the switch??Its called headlamp leveling switch.
Aare I know that switch! Its already in the highest position. Now the thing is that; when I am at low beam; the light throw is almost similar to the foglamps light throw. So now use of low beam here. The high beam is the best for highway use I find; but this is a problem for other drivers on road.

Now what I was saying that can we adjust/increase the light throw? I may sound weird and funny here. But have a look...

For example; consider the light throws as follows:

Foglamp's light reach: point A
Lowbeam's light reach: point B
and High beam's reach as point C

Now what I was saying that can we adjust point B near to Point C and let the Point C go up in the air. However highbeam is used only for dippers while overtakings.[surprise] I harldy use lowbeams because foglamps serve's my needs here. (not much but I am happy with it!)

Top Bottom