Do You Drive With High-Beams At Night?

Do You Drive With High-Beams?

• Yes

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 76.0%

• Total voters
Just a continuation to the original question - How many of you use (or rather regularly use) the headlamp position adjustment when there is a difference in the axle loading of your vehicle??:suspect:

What is axle loading?
In Punto, there are 4 different adjustment for headlights. Depending on the wieght (on front or back or boot) you can adjust it. But i hardly do this.

Axle loading is exactly what you described. When you have more people on the back seat or the boot (stuff in the boot, not people, I hope!![;)]) then the rear axle is more loaded, which would mean that the vehicle attitude is upwards, throwing your beam up a little bit.

Yes i very rarely only use it! Its always in 2 position. But on a serious note i don find any difference on changing the adjustment!

Most people I ask are not even aware of the feature, or if aware, not aware when or why it is to be used.
And in order to check if it is working, the best way is to park close to a wall, say 6 mts (1.5 car lengths) away, put the headlamps on in the low beam position, and check if the beam pattern shifts with each switch position.
You need to give some time for the shift to happen, as these are normally motor driven, and will not be instantaneous.

I was aware of its purpose but din find it to be useful till now. Will try out what you have mentioned! Thanks for the info!!

In city just low beams and high ones for irritators , i flash as many times i can to irritate the irritators!

and in high ways when no opposite traffic i am in high beam and switch to low beam automatically when there is opposite traffic., and revert back to high beam when the opposite cars doesnt dim there's

As mine is a dual head lamp , i have this type 50W for low beam and 100W for high beam. Mine is h1 and h7 bulbs.
50W is for city driving as well as for cops. 100W are for bad guys.

I had even auxiliary lamps fixed , but now removed and it was a 50W each and focused to face of air bus drivers.(yeah , you can see there faces clearly)

They don't even respond to my normal head lamp and i cant focus them to that height. So this spl treatment for that spl drivers

Looks like someone is very keen to teach others road manners!!
But some of these guys on the road really need to be taught some!

I do use High beams but only when there are no vehicles coming opposite and I never use them in the city. I usually drive on village and state roads mostly winding tarmac with uphill and downhill sections,also highway drives are not that frequent at night for me. I do have to admit that I have to flash my highs sometimes when opposite traffic comes with their high beams. Sometimes they dip their high beams but most of the time they don't.

Most people I ask are not even aware of the feature, or if aware, not aware when or why it is to be used.
And in order to check if it is working, the best way is to park close to a wall, say 6 mts (1.5 car lengths) away, put the headlamps on in the low beam position, and check if the beam pattern shifts with each switch position.
You need to give some time for the shift to happen, as these are normally motor driven, and will not be instantaneous.

Hey Aditya tried this today when stuck up in a traffic jam! Yes i could notice the beam shifting pattern slowly after sometime maybe some 2 or 3 seconds! Will use this feature from now!![thumbsup]

Well, I can guess that would be the case in Thodupuzha!!
Its almost the norm in Kerala. Most drivers here nowadays are arrogant and bully you in every way imagineable. Its like almost a game of survival. And so one has to use tactics to just stay on the road.

Hey Aditya tried this today when stuck up in a traffic jam! Yes i could notice the beam shifting pattern slowly after sometime maybe some 2 or 3 seconds! Will use this feature from now!![thumbsup]
Nice to know that I made some impact!!

And not sounding parochial, but what jalex says about Kerala is pretty much the norm, and add to that pretty narrow highways!!

I use high-beams very rarely, especially at places where there are no street-lights. Otherwise I stick to low-beams.

Yet to experience driving at night on highways. So no comments on that front.

I drive with full high beam in my i10 on when i glare in front of me.in normal traffic its the low beam but when i get the oncoming vehicle's glare i switch to high beam to get a clear view of the road.Is this way of driving correct??If not the how to avoid glare??

Top Bottom