Do You Drive With High-Beams At Night?

Do You Drive With High-Beams?

• Yes

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 92 76.0%

• Total voters
If you find anybody with high-beams in the opposite lane, just switch on high beams and drive, only switch to lower beams when they do.
Might be one of the solution.

What i do is never look into the head light directly (but always your mind will tempt to look into the light directly). Just concentrate on the road before you.

If you do not see anything (literally blind) just stop the car (hope in that situation you might be going slowly only, so no worry about rear ending by other vehicle and more over you are not going to stop suddenly)

I use low beam 70% of the time, in the city, and all-time whenever I am on highways (provided the oncoming vehicles are not troubled). When the oncomer in the city is using high beam, I give him a dose by switching to high beams till he gives up. I personally feel that 50% truck/taxi drivers are very helpful when it comes to switching to low beam when compared to auto-rickshaw drivers and motor-cyclists. I focus on the road instead of looking/staring at the headlamps of oncoming cars and, this itself, solves my problem of night driving in the city.

I have a Fiat Punto MJD. Since the car has single barrel headlamps, I gave up the plan for HIDs in the headlamp since it would be troublesome to oncoming traffic at night and I would also lose flash functionality. Since I had already bought Philips 6000k HIDs, I decided to put them on the fog lamps. Now, I can control the HIDs manually and operate the headlight independently.

My pattern of using lights-
1. Slow traffic in City: Low beams only and occassional high beam to teach oncoming drivers
2. High speed in City: Low beams with fog lamp HIDs in action. This mode is only for occassional speed bursts.
3. Highway: Low beams with fog lamp HIDs in action when there is oncoming traffic. High beams and fog lamp HIDs when there is no traffic and I am doing 3 digit speeds.

During evening time, I occassionaly keep my HIDs and parking lamp on, for showing off or getting noticed, you can say!

Punto8090.

bhvm

Honoured Member
The Poll is incomplete as many people said, because
1) All time high beam user are idiots
2) All time low beam user are also Idiots!
We have to shift our beams depending on conditions and traffic!!

Here is my pattern (XUV 500 or Huyindai i10 with Legal Fog lamps, I am NOT talking about big Off road fog lamps)
1) City with Good street lights-
Only Factory (legal )35W Fog lamps and parking lamps. (No headlamps) It's just to spot my vehicle rater than provide any long distance illumination.

2) City with no Streetlights-
Low beams with an occasional flash of High beam to warn oncoming driver or Make him Dip the beams

3) Highway-
Mostly High beams with a quick shift to Low beams for all oncoming vehicles. I am so habitual to this i often dip my beams for bullock cars as well! ha ha!

4) 4-Lane highway with Dividers-
Full time High beams with LED High beam assist and Fog lamps as well. Ocassional flashing to signal overtake of vehicle.

I'm currently teaching my wife about various beam patterns and she seems to be slowly getting it. Please do educate your family about ethical uses of head beams.

I drive with high beams ON only in areas where street lights are insufficient , low traffic , whenever have to drive fast mostly on highways [:)]

Just caught this school bus today morning at 7.00am. Dont know what's the idea behind driving it rashly with high beams [confused]
Absence of DRLs i guess [lol]

Last edited:
I drive with low beams in city limits and very courteous to switch over to low beam for oncoming traffic at highways even if I'm on a two wheeler. I personally had many horrible experiences with senseless oncoming drivers, years before when being a novice driver at nights.

I don't drive with high-beams But if I see someone hitting my eyes on the opposite with high-beams. I instantly turn on my powers, Till I pass him over and then switch back to low.
They should also experience what it is like when someone drives with high-beam.

And I use high-beams only in streets, where there is no street light. In highways, I always find good visibility though. So No, specific reason to turn them on unless the ^ above reason.

Last edited:
The Poll is incomplete as many people said, because
1) All time high beam user are idiots
2) All time low beam user are also Idiots!
We have to shift our beams depending on conditions and traffic!!
+1. I occasionally flash high-beams in city. But problem is that, the morons driving with their highs on, do not know they are offending and when we fight back they purposely keep them on,since we fight back.

I don't drive with high-beams But if I see someone hitting my eyes on the opposite with high-beams. I instantly turn on my powers, Till I pass him over and then switch back to low.
They should also experience what it is like when someone drives with high-beam.
This is the same logic that everybody should follow and the logic is simple, the one who has passed the driving test only will know about these rules, rest of the people lack common sense or they are just from the idiotic bunch.

This is the same logic that everybody should follow and the logic is simple, the one who has passed the driving test only will know about these rules, rest of the people lack common sense or they are just from the idiotic bunch.
:offtopic:
Not really. In most instances are where the driving school teachers themselves encourage the breaking of rules. All they do is teach the students how to drive the car, etc. Our driving school guy was more crooked. My mother had to give only the test for signs, no actual driving school. My brother had to give the test, but in the driving school car (Pedals on either side). The driving school owner was operating the controls, whilst my brother controlled the steering and the lady who was supposed to justly approve or disapprove was writing something sitting in the cold shade of the tree [frustration] And no, my dad taught my mother, brother (and me) and knows about low/high beam [:)]. The D/S was approached only to get a licence.

City driving - low beam except high beam as flash for occasional overtake at night.
Highway driving - usually high beam unless vehicle in opposite lane, but high beam just with opposite lane vehicle crossed. This is because in my area, some mortalities every week & month due to trucks parked on shoulder (actually shoulder are tiny, so truck is 75-80% on road, & highway is 1x1 lane without road divider) & car rear ending on truck.

Last edited:
I always use Low Beam on well lit roads, most of the times flashing for a second or two is what I do.

When driving on a highway with variable lighting quality & I'm doing above 70kmph, I use High Beam continuous.. Switching to low in presence of Vehicle approaching from opposite lane incase it's not a divided road,or/and one/two car from each side can pass at a time.

It really causes irritation when driving at night due to high-beams not only from opposite side vehicles but also from my RVMs from the Vehicles behind.. No one bothers to switch to low-beam..

I can take a cue from some of the suggestions above to flash or switch high beam for such morons the next time, which might be in an hour's time now [;)].

Always and always low beams unless its absolutely necessary. High beams are a real irritation for anyone on the road when its from the opposite side, and I understand how it feels for a person driving the car. My ratio of usage of High/Low beams is 2%/98% and that too used for flashing/signaling the other vehicles most of the time... even in highways!

I have seen in our township that some qualified guys park there cars beside road with high beams and take there own time to talk on phone or wait for someone. I feel like [gun] those beams.

Top Bottom