DIYs Stopped in Half Way

napster

Suspended
spoke to a guy who makes led tail lamps, and i almost got a heart attack looking at his pricetag, its a whooping 7-8k[shock]
ill make one myself but for that i need some help, i can manage with all the fitting,designing and other stuff but the problem is with resistors,diods blah blah. all these diodes,resistors etc are greek and latin for me :P
my basic problem is, a led consumes 3volts, but a car battery suppplies voltages from 8v to 14volts, so what or which diode or resistor should i use so that my led keeps working though my battery levels fluxuate?
MR.deville, you need to help me out with this, do i have to add diodes for every single LED?
i have lots of questions for you.

Thread Starter #17

deville_56

Honoured Member
LED resistor varies with color. They are connected in series so. One resistor connected per 4 LEDs [3 in case of white].

Finding the value is simple. First connect an LED to 3 V. Measure the voltage bw the LED leads [let it be V].

[ no. of LEDs per set x V ] + [current [I ]x resistor required [R]] = 12

current consumption per LED is 15 mA = I

let the voiltage dorp per LED be 2.8 V and set contains 4 LED

[4 x 2.8] + [0.015 x R] = 12

11.2 + 0.015 R = 12

R = [12-11.2]/0.015 = 53 ohm

[evil]

Simple idea tell me the colors and number of LEDs used. I ll calculate for u. [:D]

------

8k is too too much.

First acquire old tail lamp set from some junk yard and do experiments on it. opening the taillamp is a bit tough job [in estilo at least]. Headlamp not much issue.

this forum will help, but gotta register in that forum
HID PLanet

Last edited:

napster

Suspended
[shock] this is just greek and latin man!
ill be using white LEDs for sure, and taking out tail lamps frm my ride is next to taking a lollipop from a child :p
lol
and thanks for the forum link, ill first get the LEDS, draw a wiring diagram and then pm you regarding that. hope to finish this thing by month end

Top Bottom