DIY - Remote Trunk And Fuel Tank Opener

Can you also put up a close up picture of the fuel latch? I am thinking if I can fabricate something of that sort I can do it and then later search for the levers.

Sorry for the delay, find the pic..
Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot. I think I can get this done myself with some juggads.

I was able to finally get my hands on the lever with great difficulty. I literally visited almost all shops behind the JC road and finally got one. It was the last piece that guy had and he said you are lucky to get one. People restoring old cars like ambys have created a great demand for it he said.

I also checked MGA and TGA shops again. Indicas have only fuel lever and I could not get any other Tata car's.

Anyways, yesterday I was able to modify the hatch lock to look similar to the Alto's (no push, just turn to unlock) and secure it. Now I need to figure out a way to convert the circular motion of the lock to linear motion to pull the release handle. I will keep you updated with the progress.

Thread Starter #34
Hi Varun,

Thanks a lot. I think I can get this done myself with some juggads.

I was able to finally get my hands on the lever with great difficulty. I literally visited almost all shops behind the JC road and finally got one. It was the last piece that guy had and he said you are lucky to get one. People restoring old cars like ambys have created a great demand for it he said.

I also checked MGA and TGA shops again. Indicas have only fuel lever and I could not get any other Tata car's.

Anyways, yesterday I was able to modify the hatch lock to look similar to the Alto's (no push, just turn to unlock) and secure it. Now I need to figure out a way to convert the circular motion of the lock to linear motion to pull the release handle. I will keep you updated with the progress.
Great going, Do post some pic's. I dint get the above sentence..

Great going, Do post some pic's. I dint get the above sentence..
I will post the pic when I reach home. As you might have noticed that when you push the lock to open the door, the push action is converted to a pull action which pulls a rod which in turn pulls some lever in the lock latch.

Now that I have eliminated that push action, I need to wire it so that on the turn of the key, the rod will get pulled.

I guess I have posted the pic of the lock of the rear door, isn't it the same as what u are telling ?
Yes. But once you eliminate the push to unlock mechanism, it gets quite different. Something like converting from what is stock to this:

lock.JPG

As you can in this pic, we also have the part no 3 with the rod. In our case the rod gets pulled when we press the lock. Now I need to convert the existing mechanism to the one in the pic. I.e, pull the rod on key turn.

Hi Varun,

Still not yet. I have been busy with some work and so this has been put on hold. I also need to get some Dremel bits to do the cutting/grinding.

I am planning to finish the trunk door thing on Saturday. I will upload detailed pics once done.

Regards,

Thread Starter #41
Hi Varun,

Still not yet. I have been busy with some work and so this has been put on hold. I also need to get some Dremel bits to do the cutting/grinding.

I am planning to finish the trunk door thing on Saturday. I will upload detailed pics once done.

Regards,

Any updates, waiting for u to post the pic's [;)]

After struggling very hard and trying many thing, it seems this project of mine has hit a dead end. It's difficult to do it without changing the lock itself. The other end of the lock (opp the key hole) is too small to properly fasten any solid strong metal piece to it. I will try once again with a cable this time and see. If it doesn't work out I will leave it like that even if the key is not functional and can be opened from inside only.

Top Bottom