DIY - Paiting of Door Handles and OVRM

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I thought of changing the car dorr handles and OVRM to car body color. I would like to know the following

paints and paint related need to be used. From a previous posting I came to know the following order
  • use sand paper to make it smooth
  • apply primer and
  • apply paint
But in that case it was black [ both car and the part was in black only ]. In my case the car color is cherry/wine red, any other steps to be following.

How do I remove dorr handle and ovrm. If things gows well I would even want to try black color in front cowl and roof rail

Sethu

I guess this job is a bit tough, as we need to rub the door handles, then use primer for fiber/plastic parts. Then finally need to paint and then a spray for glossy finish (I guess its called lacker coat, sorry if I am wrong).

This will cost you around 1000 rs when done from a professional.

Any ways try and post the details so that it would help others..

I guess this job is a bit tough, as we need to rub the door handles, then use primer for fiber/plastic parts. Then finally need to paint and then a spray for glossy finish (I guess its called lacker coat, sorry if I am wrong).

This will cost you around 1000 rs when done from a professional.
+1 to this.
First of all it will not be an easy task for you to find the exact matching colour of your car if you are planning to buy the spray can.
If you find one then thats good. Otherwise you will have to go to a paint shop and get your car's colour matched. Then you will have to rent a compressor; the spraying gun, buy some things like thinner, hardner, lickker(typo) etc and all.

Nways as per my knowledge;
First the surface has to be sanded.
Then a coat of primer.
Again the surface has to be sanded as per the needs and smoothness.
Then the coats of final paints.(minimum two coats)
At last the clear coat.
For best results it is recommended to do rubbing polish on that surface after few weeks. Thats it![:D]

Last edited:
Buddy, can paints are meant for touch up jobs and not for overall painting. Also the DIY job wont bear great results. IMO get this job done at local paint shop. Door handles can be painted without removing, while mirror removal is quite an easy task. The whole job would cost nothing more than 500-600bucks.

Thread Starter #5
As akash said, I was planning for Can paint sprays. Actually when I was having Maruti 800, I had couple of dents in left side [ Most of my dents and scratchs were on left side since I was not able to judge the left side correctly as a first time driver] It was silky sliver in color.

Behind Kasi theatre [ couple of streets after ], I found a shop where all color spray paints are sold. I think I got my color for Rs.200. The work I had done was not so good but okie for DIY.

I thought of the same shop to buy some spray paints. In my case I thought it would be Rs.400 max for primer and the body color. But I was scared. If i screw up anything my car might look very bad.

as you said if it is going to be 500 to 600, I can do it from professional.

Hope some chennai members can help me to locate someone if possible.

But still I wanted to try. Even if it gets worst what will happend if I get a new set a fix it.

Thread Starter #6
Guys,

After my last post, based on your input I checked with KLN Motors chennai about body buying new body colored handles and osrvm.

They have informed me that by defualt all will be i black color and based on requirement they will paint the body color.

For painting alone it will be around Rs.1000 with labour charges. I thought of going for this.

any suggestions?

Better you get it done by a professional, unless you are confident that you can finish this (thinking of the worst also)..

i recently got my front bumper and rear right fender painted from reputed paint shop of my car and charges were very nominal compared to company paint charges, best is to get it done from them as we wont be able to get that finish.

Thread Starter #9
OK. Then I will do it by next week.. But only thing is they are saying since it involved painting it might take couple of days. I have to find slot for that..

Thread Starter #10
I have given the vehicle for 2nd service. I requested for a quote for painting door handles and OSRVM.

[cry] Very sad....

The ASS guy called me regarding painting and told me that for door handles it will cost around Rs.1200 + tax and for OSRVM it will cost around Rs.1000 + tax. So totally it would be around Rs.2200 + tax. I had told him to leave it as it is.

I don't know whether to proceed further or leave it as it is. I dont know I will be able to spend that much now. I have other plans also like FLOORING with plastic kind of thing which is around Rs. 1500 or Fog lamps.

I don't know whether to proceed further or leave it as it is.
Srinivasa Auto Garage (Bosch authorised) in Urapakkam is doing all denting & painting jobs at a reasonable price. If you are "ok" with the location, I can introduce you there.

PM me if you need the contact details.

Thread Starter #14
Hey.. That was great. But Only thing is it is too far from my place. That is the only thing which I might to think of.

Hey.. That was gr8. But Only thing is it is too far from my place. That is the only thing which I might to think of.
I have seen the quality of body works from MyTVS (Guindy) Not sure about the price though. Give a try if it is near your home.

Top Bottom