DIY: Painting Bezel of Headlights To Give a Smoke Effect

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys its been so long since I've written here. I was busy in college in the meantime I got myself a used mk2 zen in a ok condition, now the plan was to make it more appealing and better looking since type 2 zens are not modded very much and in this process I started this DIY at my friends shop.
Steps:
1. Open the headlights from the car
2. take a box make a small hole in the lower corner and put the headlight inside, now place the mouth of heatgun in the hole and run it at the lowest speed for 5 minutes
3. Precaution the headlight might be too hot to handle with bare hands so wear gloves.
4. With the help of flathead screwdriver take apart the lens from the cover
5. Now unscrew the bezel from the reflector and keep the lens at safe place as it is prone to scratches.
6. Now rub the bezel with 3m wetdry 1000grit sandpaper and then again with 3m wetdry 2000grit sandpaper. As it will remove the chrome from bezel and will allow the paint more firmly and will last long.
7. Now paint the bezel with the gloss black(you can choose matt black also) and spray it with 2-3 coats with interval of 15 minutes.
8. Now reseal the bezel and the lens as opened and tape out the exterior joints to prevent any dust or moisture inside headlight.
few pics only as I was busy in doing the work [:D]

20150504_174756_LLS-1.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-19-10-55-18-1.png

Screenshot_2015-05-19-10-57-03-1.png

Screenshot_2015-05-19-10-54-53-1.png

Few more pics of my ride after the black eyed effect [clap].

IMG-20150419-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20150419-WA0007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice DIY brother. The outcome looks nice, although it would have looked better if you had a car with bigger lamps (like the Swift). Did you use normal black paint that comes in cans? What was the cost?

Your Zen looks really simple in the fleet of modded cars! Time to spice it up? [;)]

Off Topic: The Swift with the GMC sticker looks really nice. Can you tell the details of the light bar attatched to the lower grill. If possible, price pics and more about efficiency. Thanks in advance.

Thread Starter #3
Nice DIY brother. The outcome looks nice, although it would have looked better if you had a car with bigger lamps (like the Swift). Did you use normal black paint that comes in cans? What was the cost?

Your Zen looks really simple in the fleet of modded cars! Time to spice it up? [;)]

Off Topic: The Swift with the GMC sticker looks really nice. Can you tell the details of the light bar attatched to the lower grill. If possible, price pics and more about efficiency. Thanks in advance.
The normal spray paint was used in the process. My car has got performance upgrades and I want to make it a sleeper [lol]
Regarding the lightbar. It has been fitted by us only. If you are interested then contact 8130752682 for further details.
Regards.

Top Bottom