DIY LED DRL (Low Cost and No-Drill Approach)

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member

Zoom! There goes an Audi With Gleaming Pearls of LEDs called as DRLs or Daytime Running Lamps. You stand in awe, jaw dropped, Eyes popped. What a wonderful beast !!

With this easy to follow guide, You can get the LED DRL look of Expensive Cars like Audi, BMW, Merc at a Fraction of Cost on Any sort of Car. Whats more! Eye-catching looks aside, the Purpose of LED DRL is to make your car stand out and be more visible in Adverse conditions like Rain, Fog and Snow.

So what are you waiting for? These LED DRLs Enhance both the look and safety of your ride. Join me, lets make your roads a little more safer!

P.s- This is not a guide to Simply buy LED DRL form market and Install. We will actually MAKE the DRLs right from Scratch including Readying LED Module, Soldering, Wiring, Fuse Installs and so on.

However Please be advised that due to huge number of car models and variants, you may better consult your User manual or Service center/ Mechaninc for exact Instructions regarding wiring and Install. Although this guide is a No-Splice and No Drill aproach, I assume No responsiblity for any Damage And/or Loss of warranty on your Vehicle.

Step 1: Plan it out

Look is a Big factor in LED DRLs. Let your fantasies unfold! make the swankiest shape you dreamt of. However, Simple Curves or Angles look best and more professional.

You would want your DRLs look stock as much as possible, Cops don't seem to mind stock looking DRLs. Be careful if you're going fancy.

While Planning, you should also think about the wiring routes, power availability and durability factor. Pasting the DRLs near or around headlights is my personal favorite, as it ticks all the right boxes-

1)Looks stock

2) Power available

3) Easy to attatch

4) Looks beautiful

I'll suggest photoshopping a few shapes to give you better idea before physically making anything.

Step 2: Get the Pearls

1) Which LED?

Finding and buying the right type of LED lights are ciritical to a DRL project. With a plethora of LEDs available in market, it could get a little confusing which ones to get. As we will be following a Warranty-safe, No-Drill approach, My easiest choice was to go for LED strips. These look magnificient with gleaming pearls. They can be simple pasted on. And they don't require any fancy heatsinks or power supplies.

I will suggest go for 5050 SMD LED strip (Waterproof)

2) Colour?

I will stricly sugggest sticking to White or Warm white LEDs. These are legal and look very stock. Cops seem to be allergic to Red or Blue or some funny LED colour. Please don't make your car look like a christmas tree!

3) Brightness?

The Legal stock DRLs on most cars seem around 600 to 1100 Lumens PER side. This is what you should aim for.

Each 5050 SMD LED puts out about 15 lumens at full power. There are 60 LEDs in 1 Meter. That gives you about 900 Lumens. Perfect for our application
Step 3: Prep the LEDs

You will have to cut the LED strip to desired length. Measure twice, Cut once!

You will also need to solder the long enough wire leads. I suggest using copper wires only.

Make sure you dope the soldered joints and all exposed areas with silicon or hot glue.
Step 4: Wire them up

Posting detailed wiring instructions for each car is beyond the scope of this instructable. Kindly consult your local mechanic or Service center of exact wiring instruction. Wrong wiring can run you into Warranty issues or even a fire hazard! Please be careful.

Ideally, you should look for a post or Fuse that comes on with the engine and goes off as the key is removed. That way you can have automatic DRL functionality without worrying about switches.

Make sure that the DRL power Lines have an appropriate FUSE and wires are routed away from Moving/Hot Parts.

Ensure that the LEDs work before pasting them. The adhesive backing of LEDs strips is not that great so let some silicon or plastic glue help them secure firmly. Thats it!
Step 5: Flaunt!

This the best step.

Take a drive around the town or cruise down the highway. Enjoy your Gleaming pearls DRLs and feel better that you made your car a little more safe and beautiful!

Look out for my DRL mod V2 coming up soon!

Last edited:
I don't have my career in IT. but I'm an avid IT enthusiast. I also mod computers and laptops.
You cannot mod computers and laptop using css [lol] no offense just a joke. Wonderful and cost affective DIY. I am looking something similar to put inside my alto headlight. [confused]

Thread Starter #7

bhvm

Honoured Member
You cannot mod computers and laptop using css [lol] no offense just a joke. Wonderful and cost affective DIY. I am looking something similar to put inside my alto headlight. [confused]
OT-
Some of my PC Pics i made 14 years ago-

Again, what is on the paper, other than LED strip? Is it a knife or hack-saw blade?

Anyway interesting modification. Will try it out.
I forgot to Post the Soldering pics-

The Tool is a hack-saw

Last edited:
Can you post some pics of fixing the LED strip on/inside (?) the headlight assembly?. Also what should be the fuse rating? 5A,7.5A ?
I don't know is there any lesser rating available in the fuse box :stupid:

Thread Starter #9

bhvm

Honoured Member
Can you post some pics of fixing the LED strip on/inside (?) the headlight assembly?. Also what should be the fuse rating? 5A,7.5A ?
I don't know is there any lesser rating available in the fuse box :stupid:
leds are fixed on outside only. that way I can keep warranty intact.

led power consumption is very low so you can get away with even 1a fuse. as such fuse is not available,you can use some barrel fused down the line (see pics on instructables )

I would like to use side emitting led strip as DRL on top part outside of the headlights in the gap between the bonnet and headlights. I plan to use ACC fuse from the fusebox below the dashboard. I plan to route the wire from the side of the door and then to the engine bay.
Is there a need of a separate fuse like a barrel fuse or just a fuse tap will do?
And also i would like to install led as ambient lighting, can i tap the Dome fuse for ambient lighting?

:help:

Attachments

Thread Starter #11

bhvm

Honoured Member
I would like to use side emitting led strip as DRL on top part outside of the headlights in the gap between the bonnet and headlights. I plan to use ACC fuse from the fusebox below the dashboard. I plan to route the wire from the side of the door and then to the engine bay.
Is there a need of a separate fuse like a barrel fuse or just a fuse tap will do?
And also i would like to install led as ambient lighting, can i tap the Dome fuse for ambient lighting?

:help:
Your Plan seems good.
1. Still go For a 5A Barrel fuse near the LED in case the wire gets crimped in Doors/Hood etc.
2. It depends if Dome Fuse is before or After Door switch. Otherwise lights will simply stay on.

Your Plan seems good.
1. Still go For a 5A Barrel fuse near the LED in case the wire gets crimped in Doors/Hood etc.
2. It depends if Dome Fuse is before or After Door switch. Otherwise lights will simply stay on.
Thanks for the quick response.

So i would use a 5A barrel fuse and will secure it in the engine bay. I would try to pass the wires through the rubber gaskets on the firewall if i find a easily accessible one.

I would see the dome fuse with a tester if its before or after the door switch.
I would even like to use a toggle switch for the DRLs just in case to switch it off during nights if it gets to bright. Can it be done? Not yet figured out how to connect the toggle switch to the circuit. Is it like a normal electrical switch connection?
Btw i dont have a multimeter now, how do i determine the output and input terminals for a fuse so i can put the fuse tap in correct direction?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

bhvm

Honoured Member
I would see the dome fuse with a tester if its before or after the door switch.
I would even like to use a toggle switch for the DRLs just in case to switch it off during nights if it gets to bright. Can it be done? Not yet figured out how to connect the toggle switch to the circuit. Is it like a normal electrical switch connection?
Btw i dont have a multimeter now, how do i determine the output and input terminals for a fuse so i can put the fuse tap in correct direction?
0. Regular AC tester will not work (if you mean that). You need a DC tester or a small 12v bulb.

1. Any regular Toggle switch could do,
Just put it in series of the +ve Wire just like you did with the fuse-
Blue LED Lighted Toggle Switch Rocker 12V ON OFF for Fog Light Car Truck | eBay

10x Car Truck Boat Round Rocker 2 Pin ON OFF Toggle SPST Switch 125V 6A | eBay

You can put the switch in Engine bay near the LEDs or Near the fuse box as per your convenience.

2. Remove the Fuse and probe with a Multimeter, On the side which you are getting continuous current- Is the Input side. So make sure you make the tap on OUTPUT side.

HAOYUE (DT830D) Digital Multimeter Multitester with LCD Display | eBay

In Absence of Multimeter, you may use small 12v bulb (2w or less) One End will go for probing, Other end will go to -ve of Battery.

I have ordered "Vetra LED Headlight For Toyota Fortuner" through Flipkart for my Fortuner. It sounds very economical at INR 288 a pair against the 8K INR product available at Toyota, hope the quality is good and it lasts.

Please let me know if anyone has used it in the past

I have tried lots of Cheap DIY products from China, I wish I had invested that in proper DLRs.
Chinese LEDs are not made to operate in extreme conditions that DRLs have to work at, Like Fluctuating Alternator Voltages, High Heat etc.

Last edited:

Top Bottom