DIY: Installing Centre Armrest in Maruti Ertiga

Thread Starter #1
This was my first DIY activity with my Ertiga. On long drives, I always felt some pain in left arm due to lack of support to the left elbow. So searched for possibility to put an armrest on the net. In one of the thread on TAI I saw an armrest installed in Ertiga. So decided to explore more.

I searched on eBay & found the following:
Universal Armrest Centre Console Hand Rest BIG Beige Biege For Suzuki ERTIGA | eBay

So ordered it on reading Ertiga. But when I received it, there was nothing specific to Ertiga & I am sure it is the same for all the cars.
This is what I got in the package. This image is from the site. In actual package, the stand also is of beige colour & only 8 screws included instead of 12 shown. The overall size is also smaller than what I expected. But later realized that it fits perfectly between the front seats of Ertiga.
$T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVn2BBRuEpTtQV!~~60_35.JPG
I couldn't figure out which screws to be used where as there was no installation steps or instructions included in the box. I had read the DIY by some Wagon-R owner on TAI which helped a lot.
At first, screwed the beige coloured plastic stand to the base of the armrest block. There is no way you can put nuts. So just tighten the screws into the base. I had to buy these thick screws from hardware shop.
Then took the whole unit inside the car & I found out the beige colour to be darker than that of the seat-covers. But, it was beige after all. [:)]

Now, the important thing was to see how to install & fix the unit into the car's parts. I tried arranging the black metallic plates to see if they align with any of the parts near the hand-brake, between the seats. But no where did they allign. Then tried putting the armrest block plus plastic beige stand directly on the centre piece & it seem to fit in there. So thought of doing away with the black metallic plates & installing the plastic stand directly onto the centre plastic panel around the hand-brake.
So these mtallic plates & it's rubber padding is not required at all.
2013-08-03-0158.jpg
Now, the tedious thing was to drill holes in the centre panel. So tried to remove this panel. The panel has two plastic screws on one side (near middle row seats) & just pressed at the front. So this panel can be removed. The plastic screws need to be pulled out with screw-driver or something similar.
2013-08-03-01521.jpg
After removing the centre plastic panel, marked the postions of the holes to be drilled & used hand-drill & screw-driver to make holes that could align with the holes of the plastic stand of the armrest.
The thick screws & nuts provided in the box were used to fix the unit on the centre panel.
2013-08-03-01531.jpg
The set was ready to be put back. [:)]
Then fitted back the centre panel around the hand-brake & tightened the plastic screws at the back.
Yeah! Ertiga was ready with the armrest. Quickly checked if it was at comfortable position, operating gear lever, handbrake etc.
2013-08-03-0155.jpg
For operating hand-brake, the armrest needs to be folded up. That's it. Not much of a hurdle.
2013-08-03-0156.jpg
DIY mission completed!
2013-08-03-0147.jpg
2013-08-03-0148.jpg
2013-08-03-0150.jpg
2013-08-03-0157.jpg

Congratulations [clap] for completing you first DIY sucessfully.
The work looks neat and the colour also matches very well.[:D]
now all your long drives will be very comfortable.

Congratulation on your DIY on your ertiga.
Doesn't it affect your posture of your sitting?because in above photo graph,i see that you are tilted to rest your left elbow on the armrest.

Does installing the bracket (black above) increases the height of the arm rest.Will it affect handbrake movement?

Advise just get that product some leather treatment,so that it matches interior,and may look like a OEM and you may hide the screws using skirting,of beige color,exactly like your seat skirting seein on pic no 4,showing screws.

Thread Starter #4
Congratulation on your DIY on your ertiga.
Doesn't it affect your posture of your sitting?because in above photo graph,i see that you are tilted to rest your left elbow on the armrest.

Does installing the bracket (black above) increases the height of the arm rest.Will it affect handbrake movement?

Advise just get that product some leather treatment,so that it matches interior,and may look like a OEM and you may hide the screws using skirting,of beige color,exactly like your seat skirting seein on pic no 4,showing screws.
Thanks! No, it does not affect the posture. It is just the angle of the photo which makes you feel so. Yes the black plates are for fitting on the car part & increasing the height. But as I have described earlier, those were not needed at all.

The DIY on your ertiga looks perfect. I searched for similar stuff for my nano but could not find one. In addition I guess accessing gear rod will be difficult with the arm rest in a nano.

I think the same will fit in Dzire (OLD) ? If i buy it online and give to the shop, will they fix it and give? Is MGA got armrest accessory for Dzire ?

In the ebay link, it says 'universal arm rest' at bottom. So, they changed only heading to 'ertiga'

It is a nice DIY. Congratulations on doing neatly/successfully.

Thanks

Thumbs up for the neat and good looking DIY Knightrider. But don't you think you paid a bit more for the armrest. Here's the link of my listing on ebay of the same armrest. Universal Beige Car center Arm rest / Hand Rest cum storage box for front seat | eBay

I think the same will fit in Dzire (OLD) ? If i buy it online and give to the shop, will they fix it and give? Is MGA got armrest accessory for Dzire ?

In the ebay link, it says 'universal arm rest' at bottom. So, they changed only heading to 'ertiga'

It is a nice DIY. Congratulations on doing neatly/successfully.

Thanks
Yes it can be fitted in the Dezire. You can fix it yourself or take it to any shop and they will fit it easily.

Hey nice DIY there knightrider, even i have seen it on a maruti 800 with perfect fit and finish. i will post pics soon. Even i will also install it in my maruti800. [:D]

Thread Starter #9
But don't you think you paid a bit more for the armrest. Here's the link of my listing on ebay of the same armrest. Universal Beige Car center Arm rest / Hand Rest cum storage box for front seat | eBay
Thanks everyone. [:)]
sunny2525 Yes, now you can say so. I thought it would be something designed specifically for the Ertiga as the name suggested. So went for it. Even if you search more, the ones for new Swift, Dzire are for the same price that I bought. So I thought these were specific to the new Swift/Dzire/Ertiga who share the same design.
Anyways, now enjoying the comfort & satisfaction of my first DIY activity.

From the DIY, I got the courage to order one from sunny's link. Hope I get in good shape and faster.
Thank you knightrider and sunny525. Used 6% coupon CICICI0609 to get 54 rs cheaper.

Last edited:
@knightrider,
Did you take the plastic cover on the base before drilling? Hand driller you meant screw driver or any driller? Is that a tough thing? Do you have an image of drilled one ?
Thanks.

Sorry @knightrider for going off topic !
@sunny525 . It is been 3 days since i ordered. Sunday/Monday and Tuesday. According to your webpage, it will be shipped on same day if ordered before 12PM. Forget same day shipping. You should have shipped by now at least. (I am not so generous while giving +ve feedback) . [cry]. If i had ordered today, i would have got 400rs off on the same !

@appus I had already shipped your item by Bluedart. Sending you the AWB number by PM. I always ship on same day if ordered before 3 PM as the courier pickup guy comes around 4 PM. But yesterday it was raining here so he didn't come. I shipped it today. Hopefully you'll receive it by tomorrow.

PS: Please don't count Sunday as no courier office is open on Sundays.

@appus I had already shipped your item by Bluedart. Sending you the AWB number by PM. I always ship on same day if ordered before 3 PM as the courier pickup guy comes around 4 PM. But yesterday it was raining here so he didn't come. I shipped it today. Hopefully you'll receive it by tomorrow.

PS: Please don't count Sunday as no courier office is open on Sundays.
Nothing against you brother. Your last post was on this forum was on Sunday. I did not see any update yesterday & today even till 8PM. So, i wanted to know what is happening (as per your listing).

Do not feel bad. I get angry when promises are not kept [anger] [one of my bad habit]

Thread Starter #14
@knightrider,
Did you take the plastic cover on the base before drilling? Hand driller you meant screw driver or any driller? Is that a tough thing? Do you have an image of drilled one ?
Thanks.

Sorry @knightrider for going off topic !
@sunny525 . It is been 3 days since i ordered. Sunday/Monday and Tuesday. According to your webpage, it will be shipped on same day if ordered before 12PM. Forget same day shipping. You should have shipped by now at least. (I am not so generous while giving +ve feedback) . [cry]. If i had ordered today, i would have got 400rs off on the same !
@appus: I don't have the image to show the drilled panel. But I did it with hand drill (not the electrical one). The material is pretty soft. I could enlarge the holes with a screw-driver.

@sunny525: I didn't know we have a seller on TAI. I could have ordered it from you & also could have confirmed about it fitting in Ertiga.

Thank you Knightrider.
The good thing is you have got it and fixed it. If I had waited till yesterday, there was 400RS on any product. So, I would have got it much lesser (Rs.498) [;)]

So, do not worry. Next time, you look for some coupons :). You can always get 6% off in ICICI creditcard/debitcard on ebay. Always try to look for more.

Will trouble you if i face any problem once it reaches me. Thanks again.

Top Bottom