DIY: In-Dash Tablet Mount For Multimedia and Navigation

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys!

I am back with a unique DIY for those who don't want to spend 20-30k rupees for a Dvd touch screen head unit for multimedia and GPS navigation . For those who have a decent tablet and want to use it in car as media player. Why this DIY ? I know dashboard mounts ,windshield mounts are available in market. windshield design of some cars Don't allow you to Mount tablet holder which blocks your sight, 70% windshield Mount tab holders don't stick properly and usually fell down. Sun heat affects more on windshield than in dashboard .

In this DIY i am using Samsung 7 inch Tablet with pioneer Deh x1690ub headunit which has Aux in function . Four door speakers (OEM) connected directly to head unit and two JBL 6x9 inch on back and JBL 1200w sub connected to 4 channel amp.

Things you need are a decent Tab 7 -8 inch with GPS and Maps installed , AUX cable, Tab flip or back cover made of hard plastic . A steel, aluminum or copper stripe . Screw driver, drill etc.

First of all you need to remove your head unit console. Take the measurement to drill holes in stripe and fix it in given headunit mounting point, if necessary adjust your head unit to up or down in the slots. Fix the stripe. Drill hole in your tablet cover. Now temporarily place the console back and take the measurement to drill the hole on stipe to attach tablet back cover. Drill the hole . Fix the back cover with a screw to the stripe.put an AUX cable in your head unit and adjust the volume and other settings to play media through tablet. Set the volume higher on head unit. Now fix the console back on its place carefully. Mount your tablet into its cover, attach aux cable. Done.

Enjoy music ,videos, free navigation , internet in your car on high resolution touch screen . Believe me your 25-30k headunit will never compete your 8-10k tablet in resolution , speed, and touch response. I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with 8 gb+ 32 gb memory for movies, songs. You can watch live TV also connecting tab with your mobile WiFi hotspot .

IMG_20150315_193228.jpg

IMG_20150315_193317.jpg

IMG_20150315_193400.jpg

IMG_20150315_193421.jpg

IMG_20150315_193453.jpg

IMG_20150315_193646.jpg

IMG_20150315_193725.jpg

IMG_20150315_193748.jpg

IMG_20150315_193838.jpg

IMG_20150315_193851.jpg

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: DIY In dash tablet Mount for multimedia and navigation

Veerey! Firstly my heartiest best wishes for graduating to an Optra. I have owned one for 1.5 years and really the car is very spacious in the rear and the rear passengers get enough legroom. The boot is big too. Is it the Magna or the 1.6 one? Whats the Color?

Coming to DIY; For me you really are the PHD holder veerey in these intelligent DIYs. Keep it going. Looking forward for a great ownership review.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
Re: DIY In dash tablet Mount for multimedia and navigation

Veerey! Firstly my heartiest best wishes for graduating to an Optra. I have owned one for 1.5 years and really the car is very spacious in the rear and the rear passengers get enough legroom. The boot is big too. Is it the Magna or the 1.6 one? Whats the Color?

Coming to DIY; For me you really are the PHD holder veerey in these intelligent DIYs. Keep it going. Looking forward for a great ownership review.

Regards

Akash
Thanks brother[:D] it is 1.6 and the color is crystal mica.
For those DIYs, you know i love DIYs on my vehicles . This is not the first DIY on my Optra, have done 2-3 others. One of them was O2 sensor cleaning and clearing check engine fault codes , most important DIY , sad thing is i forgot to click pictures[frustration]

Last edited:
another great DIY that is what we can expect from you[:D].but i think tab will fall down if you cross potholes @ 70-80[cry].
regarding o2 sensor cleaning and clearing check engine fault codes you can post your experience which can help other members

Thread Starter #5
another great DIY that is what we can expect from you[:D].but i think tab will fall down if you cross potholes @ 70-80[.
regarding o2 sensor cleaning and clearing check engine fault codes you can post your experience which can help other members
Thanks bro[glasses]. I have already mentioned in my post that in this DIY everyone should use hard plastic back case of tablet which will hold it securely . One that i used is of a very good quality and holds the tablet very tightly . Tablet will never fell down even if you hit another vehicle [evil].
I will post that O2 sensor cleaning DIY some day with O2 sensor location pictures and with detail procedure .

Another wonderful DIY, glad to see your interest in finding scope for new DIYs haven't lessened a bit even after migrating to a monster which already have almost all features one need [clap]. It would have looked more better if the tab was black in color. I didn't get what you told about the HU above, "set the volume higher", then adjust the volume in tab or use the remote for HU?.
You can buy an OTG Y cable and further improve this DIY. Conceal the cable behind the tab and use it for charging the tab with car charger and for USB flash drive at the same time. Additionally download a streaming app in your android mobile that can redirect your songs to this tab via bluetooth A2DP (I am assuming a 10K tab won't have NFC/ DLNA etc, I am not sure though). This will make your tab a full fledged touchscreen HU [:D].

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Another wonderful DIY, glad to see your interest in finding scope for new DIYs haven't lessened a bit even after migrating to a monster which already have almost all features one need [clap]. It would have looked more better if the tab was black in color. I didn't get what you told about the HU above, "set the volume higher", then adjust the volume in tab or use the remote for HU?.
You can buy an OTG Y cable and further improve this DIY. Conceal the cable behind the tab and use it for charging the tab with car charger and for USB flash drive at the same time. Additionally download a streaming app in your android mobile that can redirect your songs to this tab via bluetooth A2DP (I am assuming a 10K tab won't have NFC/ DLNA etc, I am not sure though). This will make your tab a full fledged touchscreen HU
Yes , pioneer HU is hidden behind the tab holder cover you can access it with remote but it's tricky , that's why i said you need to set the volume higher as per your requirements and then control the volume from Tab.
Tab i am using is Samsung Galaxy tab 3 and it has DLNA feature too. so i can use it with my mobile . Tab has 32 Gb memory card so don't need to connect Pen drive. Tab has 4000mah battery and very good backup , don't need to charge it frequently that why no need to install permanent charging cable behind the console . Can use single cable to charge my tab 3 and my Nexus 5 or xperia u.[glasses] so all the features and options are available and it is full function Android touch screen HU.[:D]
Next DIY will be headlights upgrade.

Nice [clap]. how does the navigation works? does it require a wifi connection or do you have any offline maps installed on it? I am looking for a similar setup for Civic, but have to use dash/windscreen mount setup as the integrated HU in Civic looks too good to replace.

I have a Nexus 7 lying around though its wifi-only version so I am testing various offline map apps to see if it suits my navigational purposes. Other than that, I installed apps to use tab as a car dvr with motion detection, distance and lane change warning etc., torque app to pair with bluetooth obd reader and show all the funky vehicle statistics etc. Bluetooth a2dp,wifi hotspot, gesture control, voice control, internet radio, speed radar, digital car HUD etc. are some other cool options one can add to a car easily without breaking the bank by using an android tab... Pair a PS3 control to it via bluetooth and u got gaming-on-the-move too!

iPad works good too for this purpose but has limitations on the stuffs you can do.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Nice [clap]. how does the navigation works? does it require a wifi connection or do you have any offline maps installed on it? I am looking for a similar setup for Civic, but have to use dash/windscreen mount setup as the integrated HU in Civic looks too good to replace.

I have a Nexus 7 lying around though its wifi-only version so I am testing various offline map apps to see if it suits my navigational purposes. Other than that, I installed apps to use tab as a car dvr with motion detection, distance and lane change warning etc., torque app to pair with bluetooth obd reader and show all the funky vehicle statistics etc. Bluetooth a2dp,wifi hotspot, gesture control, voice control, internet radio, speed radar, digital car HUD etc. are some other cool options one can add to a car easily without breaking the bank by using an android tab... Pair a PS3 control to it via bluetooth and u got gaming-on-the-move too!

iPad works good too for this purpose but has limitations on the stuffs you can do.
Hi buddy ! I am using Navimaps app with Map my india maps. One of the best navigation app available. When it comes to detailed maps i think nobody can beat Map my india.
3D maps with turn by turn indications, voice guidance in many Indian languages.
App works with Offline maps installed on your Android device. So you don't need Internet connection to use navigation which saves your device battery.
[clap]

Last edited:

Top Bottom