DIY: Cheap Method of Car Damping Using Yoga Mats

Thread Starter #92
Re: DIY: Cheap Method To Car Damping Using Yoga Mats

Hi Varun,

As you said, does it reduce the sound when im running my car on the uneven roads. Im very much fed up with the sounds from the doors
Yes it does reduce the rattling noise, make sure you tighten all the screws or bolts before damping. [:)]

Re: Tata Nano – To Its Best

Sound Dampening:

I tried out the sound dampening this week end. Used a "Yoga" mat on my Nano Mid variant.

Note: In this same automotiveinidia website, there is another discussion on the same.

Tools:
1. Fevicol SR998 200 ml. Mostly used by 2 wheeler seat cover fixing people.
2. Yoga Mat
3. Prepare a hook kind of arrangement to remove the window raiser handle. Diwali is just over, so i made one using the burnt out sparkles.
4. Start Screw Driver, Large Flat Screw Driver, Nose Plier
5. Some patience !

Steps to open the door pads
1. Remove the door handle with the star screw driver.
2. Using the large Flat screw driver make a gap between the door raiser and the plastic washer. You should see a Clip in the shape close to "Ohms" symbol.
3. Now in the gap created by the screw driver, leave the "hook" tool into the gap. once you ensure that the hook holds the "Ohms" clip, pull it. If you are lucky, you may see the clip fly out, or open up one side. Apply same technique for the other side also. The hook should be secured.
4. Now the Door handle comes out.
5. Using the large flat screw driver, make gaps in between the door pads and door. Leave your fingers in the gap and pull it (may need to apply good amount of pressure). You can hear the buttons that hold the door pad, come out one by one. It happens that the button stays in the door sometimes. Use the flat screw driver to pull them out.

Note: No Need to remove the door opener.

Now the door is fully accessible after removal of the pad. Ensure that the buttons are not lost or broken during door pad removal.

Process is same for all the 4 doors, but the front doors and rear doors are different. Front doors have 4-5 holes to close and rear has only 3.

Now comes the real skill to handle the yoga mats and scissors.
Cut the yoga mats as per the shape requirement. Apply the Fevicol SR998 on the corners. Put in on the gaps.press them with your hands or cloth to ensure there is no gaps between door and the mat.

Once you are done, its time to put the door pads back. Once the buttons sit on the holes, just press them, they lock automatically.

The window raiser is easier to install than remove. Put the clip back in place and push the door handle, it locks easily.

The total fun took 2 hours and 30 minutes.

After i did it for all the 4 doors, i took the car for a test drive.
Right away there was lots of difference. The road noise has come down considerably. The engine noise is less heard now.

In the evening, i took the Nano out for a 25 km ride with my family. They were really happy about the reduction in noise.

When at stand still, its as good other high cost cars. When driving in City the noise has come down very much. But when driven at higher gears, 4th gear 60 kms we could hear some noise as before. Need to understand how to fix it.

Anyway, i felt it to be a useful and succesfull DIY, spending some week end time.

Last edited:

Some pictures of the DIY.

Attachments

Sound Dampening:
Anyway, i felt it to be a useful and succesfull DIY, spending some week end time.
Did you also damped the rear cargo area ? (above the engine) The road noise is a big pain if you don't play music so is the engine noise at speeds more than 60 Kmph. I hope that this thing will help reducing the noise considerably, I had tried this in my Older Safari but it did'nt made any difference.

There is no firewall concept in Nano. There is a lid over the engine and few mats over it and the rear seat rests over it.

I'm thinking of adding one layer between the engine bay and the closure lid and some more dampening over the lid. But need to find a fire proof material for the first one. Any ideas?

I just broke 1, which was stuck in the door. I reused that too, because it was stuck and the plastic around it broke, but not the holding capability.

Top Bottom