DIY: Changing Pulsar 180 UG4's engine oil!

Thread Starter #1

Guys present my another, on TAI, second DIY; 'Changing Pulsar 180 UG4's engine oil!'

All you need is:
A P180,
Engine Oil,
A funnel,
Some basic tools (provided with the bike's toolkit)
And most important; a peacefull place to do this work!

Total Cost for the DIY:
Castrol Power1 4T 15w40(1ltr)= Rs 275/-
Plastic Funnel= Rs 05/-
Total= Rs 280/-

EDIT: Scroll down to Post No.#6 to view pictures of this DIY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow rated 5 stars! We can save a few hundred bucks as this is what they do even in the service centers in addition to cleaning!

Excellent thread gears. I will surely try this the next time i want to get my bike serviced. Btw many a times our mechanic changes oils of our car at home itself. I will try to get some pictures of it when he will do it next time.

Thread Starter #4
Wow rated 5 stars! We can save a few hundred bucks as this is what they do even in the service centers in addition to cleaning!
Thanks Dhaya! Ya we can actually save the HARD earned money, and the mechanics will now find HARD to earn money; after people start doing this DIY![lol]

Excellent thread gears. I will surely try this the next time i want to get my bike serviced. Btw many a times our mechanic changes oils of our car at home itself. I will try to get some pictures of it when he will do it next time.
Thanks Akash! Would love to see the DIY for a car!!
-----------Next Post-----------
I forgot to add that; dont throw/dispose away the left over oil. They can be used as lubricant for your house's main gates, can be used to oil the chain of the bike, etc...[roll]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Posting It again!!!

Since the pics were not visible; I am reposting this agian.

Guys presenting my another, on TAI, second DIY; 'Changing Pulsar 180 UG4's engine oil!'

All you need is:
A P180,
Engine Oil,
A funnel,
Some basic tools (provided with the bike's toolkit)
And most important; a peacefull place to do this work!

Total Cost for the DIY:
Castrol Power1 4T 15w40(1ltr)= Rs 275/-
Plastic Funnel= Rs 05/-
Total= Rs 280/-

Lets start;

Park your bike in a safe place like your corridoor/garden. (Do take permission from your mom, because these things ends up messing up the surroundings!)

01.jpg

These are the tools you would need for the process. (provided with the bike's tool kit), old screwdriver, Oil, etc...

02.jpg

Park your bike in main stand.

03.jpg

Open the nut marked in red with the help of that tool. Dont remove it fully; just loosen it.

04.jpg

Put your bike in side stand. Place a container to collect the used oil. I have used a plastic bag also, to avoid mess.

05.jpg

Now remove the nut. Let the oil flow out.

06.jpg

Now tilt the bike more if possibe; in other words try to remove the oil fully.

07.jpg

Place the nut back on the place.

08.jpg

Make sure the nut is tight enough. Put the bike in main stand again.

09.jpg

Now open the inlet, from where you can topup the oil.

10.jpg

Place a funnel as shown in the pic.

11.jpg

Start pouring oil slowly.

12.jpg

Now close the inlet.

13.jpg

Check the oil level. It should be upto the maximum mark.

14.jpg

Hurray!!! The work is compleated.

OMG!!! Have a look at the mess...!!

15.jpg

Now clean it before your mom sees it, and don't allow you to do such thing again in side the house!!

16.jpg

Taadaaaa!!! The job is done!

DISCLAIMER: Doing this DIY might void the bike's warranty. Better you try it once the warranty is over!!

Guyz, both positive and negative comments/suggestions are welcomed and also dont forget to add reputations; if you find this post useful.[evil]

Thanks;
Regards
Gears1313
a.k.a
Amandeep Singh

Last edited:
Ivtech , if you leave your bike for service the bill easily comes upto Rs.500 and they will take a whole day to do this! If its done by ourselves its only Rs.300 and can be done sooner too! You don have to undergo the hassle of dropping the bike for service , returning by bus or auto and again going back in bus to pick up the bike. So it saves your time , money and energy too!

Service centers don't just change oil, they clean spark plugs & set correct gaps,clean your air filters,wash the bike with high pressure water,check the batter water lever,oil & grease the required parts,check all the electricals,detect problems you could be facing in future,etc & that's what they charge for.

Anyways nice DIY.Do clean the plugs & air filter,its easy.

Yes Neil they are supposed to do all these but are they doing all these is the question? From my experience they never check the battery fluid level , never check electricals and never detect future problems! I service my bike only at Bajaj's Authorized service centers.

In a big city like Chennai they hardly have time to do all this. They are more keen on delivering the bikes back soon and so they never do all the things which you have mentioned. And worse , i sometimes even have to wait for 3 days for servicing my bike! Even HH and Honda is the same here! One has to fix appointments early mornings for service and drop the bike before 8AM , else bike will not be taken in!!

Thread Starter #11
@Neil: Ya buddy; I know that there is a huge list the service centre guys should do; but we have to monitor them and tell them to do in front of our eyes.(atleast I have experienced this!)

Secondly; I do service my chain once a month since it is naked. The chain is washed with kerosene, petrol, then it is greased, oiled, tightened, etc.. All these are done my self only.

Thirdly; I can clean my airfilter too. So most of the main things I can do it myself , so no need for taking the bike for the service.

Howerer I do take my bike to our mechanic; there I handover hin the bike and tell him to take a trial; and if he find some thing not proper he does that. Depending upon the work he happily takes whatever tip i give him.[evil](mostly from Rs20-Rs50, depends)

@cooldhaya: Yes frirend you are absolutely rite!:agree:
For bike servicing at a service centre; you need a full one day off from your daily work.

@All: No offence; but this DIY I have share only for the information; this does not mean that I am a 'kanjoos' and I cannot spend a handfull amount on my bike. It believe it is better to do the things ourselves as much as we can. Many people including me enjoy doing DIYs; and most of us here an agree with my last statement!

well i have a TVS Fiero F2, and i go to the service centre to only change the oil and lubricate the chain... total cost 280Rs! i never give it for servicing for the whole day!! if ur bike is having some minor or major problems then it makes sense to surrender ur bike to them for the job!!! otherwise i don't find any reason to give ur bike just for normal servicing.

I havent changed the oil for since 10,000km. it has become very black and thick(sludge), so can i use kerosene to clean the sludge,and then refill the new oil..

Top Bottom