DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am Swapnil from Thane, Maharashtra.

I love Caterham 7 and always wanted to buy it. But unfortunately that is very costly affair. So I thought lets build one.

Yes, currently the project is underway. I am building a Caterham 7 lookalike (I wont say its a replica but can be called as Locost 7)

I am stuck with the fiber moulding part, it needs the fenders and nose cone to be made in fiber. I was looking for some help, where can i get the fiber moulding part done at cheaper rate in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai

Thanks

Here are few pics.

Attachments

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike

Hello everyone,

I love Caterham 7 and always wanted to buy it. But unfortunately that is very costly affair. So I thought lets build one.
Wonderful attempt buddy. Hope you complete the same soon. You may try out the following dealer in Mumbai

Shetty Motor Stores

Automobile spare parts wholesaler in Mumbai, India
Address: Shop No 1,2,3,.Hansraj Damodar Building, Kennedy Bridge, Opp Pareikh, Market, Opera House, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400004
Phone: 022 2382 1390
Do keep us posted on the project's progress.

All the best!

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Wonderful attempt buddy. Hope you complete the same soon. You may try out the following dealer in Mumbai

Do keep us posted on the project's progress.

All the best!

Regards

Akash
Hey Akash!

Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate that.

I wanted to know about the people / dealers who are expert in fiber moulding and undertake vehicle related projects.

Swapnil

Hello everyone,

Yes, currently the project is underway. I am building a Caterham 7 lookalike (I wont say its a replica but can be called as Locost 7)

I am stuck with the fiber moulding part, it needs the fenders and nose cone to be made in fiber. I was looking for some help, where can i get the fiber moulding part done at cheaper rate in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai

Thanks

Here are few pics.
Hi @Swapnil, this looks a labour of love, inquisitive to know the engine and is it FWD or RWD.

If fiber wheel arch can't be done, get it done in steel.

All the best, for this project, I'm glued to this thread.

Regards
Vinod

Hey Swapnil, Lovely work. Why don't you start a thread & put up all the details of the build. It would be very interesting to know about what chassis, engine, etc used to built this car.
All the best for the built.
Regards
vdm295

Thread Starter #9
@Vinod Sir

Yes it was labour intensive and lots n lots of learning.

Since I am not from engineering background I had to learn a lot. I mean had to start from A B C of vehicle dynamics, suspension design, space frame chassis design etc. Even I had to learn basic software like solidworks to design the chassis, I designed about 37 chassis and this is 37th design which was finalised.

The dimensions were taken from photographs of the real car (Caterham 7), I put the photographs in 3D CAD software and roughly calculated the dimensions.

Technical Specifications:

Motive for building : Pure passion nothing else
Donor Car : Maruti Suzuki Omni/Van (MPFi)
Chassis : Space frame chassis
FWD/RWD? : RWD
Front Suspension : Double wishbone with coilover
Coilover : Honda Activa - rear (hehe)
Rear Suspension : Parallel Leaf Spring (Yes that is true, I think this is world's first locost 7 with parallel leaf)
Steering : Rack and pinion (Manual) from TATA Nano
Engine : 800cc
Brakes : All drum brakes

Material used:
1 in X 1 in 16 gauge RHS were used to build the chassis
sheetmetal used is 20 gauge (patra) - for making panels
bonnet is handmade

Still work under progress..... office se chutti le leke kaam chal raha hai.

Work will resume after monsoon, may be by september end.

more pics...

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome effort for your passion brother.
The Maruti Omni comes with front discs. Can't those be used for both front and rear brakes?
The 800cc engine makes some 37bhp of power and 59Nm of torque. You may consider to get more output from the engine(porting, boring, etc...the gurus here may help).
You may also use fibre panels instead of the sheet metal ones to reduce the weight.

Additionally, you may opt to fabricate a roll cage for safety as in this pic, where the IRVM/ORVMs can also be mounted(another safety aspect):
Caterham_Special_Edition_Seven.jpg

Just my 2 cents.

Kudos to your efforts to make your dream a reality.
I am hooked to this thread.

Last edited:
@Vinod Sir

Yes it was labour intensive and lots n lots of learning.

Since I am not from engineering background I had to learn a lot. I mean had to start from A B C of vehicle dynamics, suspension design, space frame chassis design etc. Even I had to learn basic software like solidworks to design the chassis, I designed about 37 chassis and this is 37th design which was finalised.

The dimensions were taken from photographs of the real car (Caterham 7), I put the photographs in 3D CAD software and roughly calculated the dimensions.

Technical Specifications:

Motive for building : Pure passion nothing else
Donor Car : Maruti Suzuki Omni/Van (MPFi)
Chassis : Space frame chassis
FWD/RWD? : RWD
Front Suspension : Double wishbone with coilover
Coilover : Honda Activa - rear (hehe)
Rear Suspension : Parallel Leaf Spring (Yes that is true, I think this is world's first locost 7 with parallel leaf)
Steering : Rack and pinion (Manual) from TATA Nano
Engine : 800cc
Brakes : All drum brakes

Material used:
1 in X 1 in 16 gauge RHS were used to build the chassis
sheetmetal used is 20 gauge (patra) - for making panels
bonnet is handmade

Still work under progress..... office se chutti le leke kaam chal raha hai.

Work will resume after monsoon, may be by september end.

more pics...
@Swapnil this isn't the work of a novice, but a passionate man following his desire/dream into a work of art.

I don't know what the final color of your car will be, let me suggest for the wheel arch, ready-made chrome bike mudguards, bullet or something similar depending on the final wheel size, it will look different.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

Thread Starter #12
Hello Everyone,

I am building this car, but now I don't have enough money to finish the car. So selling it. It's my personal project (not a college project), If anyone is interested kindly let me know.

What is remaining?
Fiber moulding part is remaining, which is out of my budget.
You will have to make a Nosecone, Fenders and a rear cover. You will have to change the tires (may be rims) too, battery is required.

Please contact if you have keen interest in buying this unfinished car and may be want to complete the project.

Swapnil N.

Top Bottom