DIY Capacitor Installation

Thread Starter #1
diy capacitor have been installed.[clap]
(sadly that made only 0.94 farads. not enough upto my expectations.)

light dimming has been reduced considerably. earlier at volume level of 16 head lamps would be dimming along with bass thumps.
now i can go as high as 24th level. sounds cleans without distortion.
beyond 24 it does distort . but with that much sound my eardrums are already about to blow up so no worries for time being

sometimes later i would be upgrading to 3 farads or 5 farads.

pic , the capacitor must be connected closest to amp with minimum length of cables.

Attachments

Re: Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - Detailed Ownership Review

please share some knowledge here too :)
when bass/boom occurs , more current is drawn from the battery.
while doing this , current to rest of the part of the car decreases or dims.

to avoid that capacitor is used.
it stores current , and when suddent boom/bass occur , the extra current is supplied by the capacitor so that the other electrical items do not dim.

and jayadev have done a own capacitor of himself

good diy! cheers

Thread Starter #4
Re: Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - Detailed Ownership Review

please share some knowledge here too :)
master, i am waiting for the mods to move these post to appropriate section of ice /diy.

and jayadev have done a own capacitor of himself

good diy! cheers
you are absolutely right , thanks ilango!!

Thread Starter #5
additon of capacitors should not be taken wrongly . generally a car battery is 12x60a= 720watts.
if your amp is consuming anything above 720watts means only one thing will help changing battery and alternator .

as ilango mentioned this capacitors helps battery by reserving full voltage for a brief instant when a loud bass or thump demands too much current.
unlike batteies which are much slower to deliver power, capacitors charges and discharges instantly so amp gets what it needs for peak performance briefly

how does it help actually.
consider battery voltage is 12 volts.

a 1000 watt amp may demand 83.33 ampere current. (1000watts/12=83.3)

if there is cable ( we know there is our power cable ) with 0.1ohm resistance(every conductor have internal resistance) let us see what power we receive at the end of cable

v=current ^sqaure x resistance.
12/.1=current^square
square root of 120=10.95volts.
10.95 volt at 83.33 will produce only 833.3 watts out of 1000watts amplifier. so you lost 170+ watts just in the cable.

so a capacitor at the end of cable remains charged at 12v potential and aid the high power demand of amplifier

Thread Starter #6
the schematic and idea behind the diy capacitor
all the capacitors are connected parallely hence there equivalent value is adding them all.

total cost
20 capacitors=18x20=rs.360
common pcb=rs.20
wiring =rs.10

my labourcharge =priceless satisfaction!!!

Attachments

look like science won't leave me alone :biggrin: but thanks for information will be helpful for many people

BTW i understood by ilango post more .

Cool DIY Jayadev , i also faced this problem when i had the subwoofers in my car but decided to live with it and now finally removed the subs!

the schematic and idea behind the diy capacitor
all the capacitors are connected parallely hence there equivalent value is adding them all.

total cost
20 capacitors=18x20=rs.360
common pcb=rs.20
wiring =rs.10

my labourcharge =priceless satisfaction!!!
A very well done job jayadev, bad that i spotted this thread so late. A question though, are these bank of capacitors connected paralally to the voltage in(power supply going into the amplifier) of the amplifier, is that correct?:stupid: I used to have this problem in my old esteem, when i sold my old car i sold everything with it, in the ritz i have a new amp and subwoofer but this problem is still not there, will be a good option and fit this if i start seeing that problem sooner or later. battery is ow 2+ yrs old.

Thread Starter #10
I forgot to update this thread , my apologies.

There was a slight miscalculation from side (damn my mathematics) i missed a zero somewhere.
sadly that made only 0.94 farads. not enough upto my expectations.
Actually correct calculated value is 0.094 farad.means I may need 10 more similar assemblies to make it near1 farad which means compromising lot of space and wiring.

so plunging in with the same value capacitor is not that much a great idea as for now untill we get a higher value, like greater than 20000micro or 50kmicro caps for parallel bank conections. so let us hold this diy thing here for time being

now i can go as high as 24th level. sounds cleans without distortion.
beyond 24 it does distort . but with that much sound my eardrums are already about to blow up so no worries for time being
I was wondering why I could not go upto full volume while testing. but late I recognize my folly of missing a "zero" as mentioned above. so the improvement is just satisfactory .not mind blowing as expected or as it should be.

A question though, are these bank of capacitors connected paralally to the voltage in(power supply going into the amplifier) of the amplifier, is that correct?
yes parallel to battery terminals as much near as possible to amplifier.

Pardon me guys a small DIY error.

The capacitors used is ordianry electrolytic not suitable for high temperature environment, if longer life is needed 1220deg type military grade will be more suitable, and in place of electrolytic capacitors, Super capacitors can be tried, their values available in Farads & companies are generous to send few free samples if requested

Top Bottom