DIY: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs in My Maruti Swift

Thread Starter #1
There is one thing that we all drivers/riders hate during our daily drives especially at the night time is the cars/bikes/trucks/buses (especially Volvo 9400) tailgating with their headlights on High Beam. To tackle this issue, there is Day/Night mirror (Manual) in my car. This solved my problem by 50% but the rest 50% was still in question and how does one go about the ORVM change as it least done by many.

I decided of replacing both the mirrors in my car too. I was then scouting and finding ways to get the anti-glare setup for the ORVM too so that the combination is fulfilled making the drive easier on my eyes.

In this DIY, I'll be putting down the procedure for installation of the Anti-Glare setup of both:

1. The Inside Rear View Mirror and
  2. The Outside Rear View Mirror.

Thread Starter #2
1) Inside Rear View Mirror - Manual to Auto-dimming setup

The Day/Night mirror in my car is a manually controlled mirror that needs a flip to change modes (Day or Night).

I enquire with the seller for the possibility of fitting the same on my Maruti Suzuki Swift. Contacted the seller @ AliExpress and immediately received a request from his end for asking for the picture showing the way the IRVM is mounted in the car. Went to my car, clicked couple of pictures and sent it. I received a response from him stating the suitable bracket (No. 26) for my Swift. All of this happened in 20 minutes; fantastic seller; No wonder he has highest feedback rating from all his buyers.

Ordered the Auto-dimming mirror without any second thoughts and there was another advantage to the deal since I was browsing through the App, 25-08-2015 where many item were listed at high discounts. The same IRVM retails at $69.99 on any regular day which is ₹4820.21 but on that day I got it at $44.79 which is ₹3084.64 plus I got the discount of $10 by using a coupon which I offset using faster delivery option on $11. So I finally paid is $45.79 which is ₹3153.55 and it took 6 days to reach me.

There are two ways to get through this installation:

1) Using power from the 12V socket that'll power the IRVM

OR

2) Hard wire the IRVM.

I went ahead with the Option 2 as it is the better one with cleaner installation and no need to splice OEM wires.

Now let's jump onto the installation part:

What's Required:

Auto-Dimming IRVM

1. Auto dimming IRVM.jpg

Fuse tap cable with Extra Fuses

2. Fuse Tap cable.png

Fuse Set

3. Fuse Set.JPG

16AWG Wire (Red & Black)

16 AWG Wire.JPG

Crimping tool kit with connectors

5. Stanley - Crimping Tool.jpg

Heat shrink tube set

6. Heat shrink tube.jpg

12V Voltage Tester

7. 12V Tester Pen.jpg

Philips Hair Dryer

9. Hair dryer.jpg

12 pcs interior panel removal kit

10. Trim-panel kit.JPG

Here are the links to buy the above mentioned items:

1. Auto-dimming IRVM

2. Fuse Tap with ATM Fuses

3. 16 AWG Wire

4. Stanley Crimping tool kit with connectors

5. Heat shrink tube set

6. 12V Car voltage Tester

7. Hair Dryer/Hot Air Gun

7. 12 pcs Car trim removal set

8. Wire holder

Thread Starter #3
With all the items in hand, let's start putting them together. I'll briefly describe the steps for installation.

Step 1: With a Star screw driver remove the 2 screws holding the OEM IRVM;

Step 2: Remove the Driver's side A-Pillar rubber beading and plastic trim carefully using the panel removing set. Two clips hold the A-Pillar.

Step 3: Fit the Auto-dimming IRVM in place and tighten it - I have used rubber washers to dampen any vibrations. Placed them between the IRVM bracket and screws.;

Step 4: Route the wiring from the IRVM through the headliner then through the drivers side A-Pillar to the fuse box below which is the power source for the IRVM. The fuse box is located above the accelerator pedal at a very inconvenient location (Just above the front right wheel well).

Step 5: In the fuse box, check for the ones that will be functioning ONLY when the ignition is ON as I didn't want the IRVM to draw power from the battery even when the car isn't in use or during day time where the auto-dimming function is of no use. Of the open fuses, found No. 36 to be working only when Ignition is ON.

Step 6: With the Red wire acting as the power source, crimp it directly to the blue connector which is also called as butt connector that will be securely holding the connection after crimping. Insert the heat shrink tube prior to insulation the connections. After taping it, pull the heat shrink tube over the insulation and apply heat using the hair dryer to seal the connection properly.

Step 7: One left is the Black Wire that is to be connected to Ground/Earthing. I chose a metal frame of the unit that holds the hood opener and fuse box frame holder after crimping. Insert the heat shrink tube prior to insulation the connections. After taping it, pull the heat shrink tube over the insulation and apply heat using the hair dryer to seal the connection properly.

Step 8: Add an appropriate fuse in the fuse tap unit to protect the circuit and the car electrical system. I chose to add a 5A fuse at the farther end of the fuse tap.

Voltage: 12V
Power drawn: 2W
Fuse required: 2W/12V = 0.16667A Thought if using a 2.5A but decided to be safe hence stuck to 5A.

Step 9: Refit the driver side A-pillar trim and beading after securing the wiring.

Step 10: Turn ON the ignition and check for the functioning of the IRVM.

Here is the pictorial description of the above steps for a better understanding:

OEM IRVM - Mounted by two star screws

1. OEM IRVM.jpg

OEM Bracket

2. OEM Bracket.jpg

Driver side A-Pillar Trim Removal

0. A-Pillar Trim removal.jpg

New IRVM in place

7. IRVM Fixed.JPG

Wire routing through A-pillar

1. A-Pillar routing.jpg

Fuse Box - Owners Manual

6. BCM - Owners Manual.jpg

Open Fuses (Yellow ones)

7. Open Fuses.jpg

Fuse No.: 36 - The Chosen One

8. Fuse 36 aka Blank.jpg

Ground Connected to test the Fuse

9. Ground connected.jpg

Fuse point Test (Left - Ignition OFF; Right - Ignition ON)

10. Blank (No-horz.jpg

Taped temporarily for Trial

2. Temp fixed for trial.jpg

Earthing Point

3. Earthing.JPG

Power cable crimping

4. Power cable crimping.jpg

Power cable fixed in the fuse box and heat shrink

6. power cable fixed and heat shrinked.jpg

Earthing fixed and heat shrink

5. Earth cable heat shrinked.jpg

Sensors and Switch on the IRVM Unit

8. Sensors and switch.JPG

Trial Shot

9. Trial Shot - Working.jpg

Thread Starter #4
Thread Starter #5
2) Outside Rear View Mirror – Changeover from Plain to Blue Tint a.k.a Anti-glare type

Getting the anti-glare type of mirror for the inside was pretty easy but getting the same for outside mirror was a literal pain. All the sellers that I had contacted on AliExpress had the anti-glare mirrors but that were specifically for the earlier model of the Swift and SX4. (Like the 2007 model Swift ORVM design).

I have been browsing many sites, email conversation but one fine day I landed on a search on Google Images for Anti-glare mirror for Swift 2013 model. Got a link of a YouTube video showing the outside rear view mirror with anti-glare setup integrated with an LED indicator too (Arrow shape).

Here's the link to that Video:

Anti-glare ORVM on Swift

Shot an email to the seller for the same requirement. The M.O.Q (Minimum order quantity) was 500 pieces and the rates vary with the order quantity. All I mentioned in the email was a pair of the mirror for me car along with the picture of the ORVM on my Swift.

Received a reply the next day quoting the following:

Mirror cost: $91
Shipping: $25
Total: $116 = ₹7700/-

Seeing that price I dropped the plan of getting the mirrors as it was standing at 7.7K and not worth at all. Casually asked the seller what type of mirror is this and why is it so costly? He replied saying that the mirror comes incorporated with the an LED indicator (Arrow shape) along with the wiring and heating function too making the costs too high. I asked for a quote WITHOUT the indicator and heating function for just a plain anti-glare mirror. I received the following quote:

Mirror cost: $40
Shipping: $15
Total: $55 = ₹3648/-

That’s almost 50% reduction in price so I went ahead with the deal and asked for mode of payment. He replied saying preferred method is PayPal and in-case that isn't feasible then the only other option is Western Union money transfer. I already had PayPal Account so it wasn't an issue. Emailed the seller and paid money for 2 pairs as a friend too went ahead with this modification.

Once the payment was made, within half an hour I got the images of the ORVM ready for shipping and also the seller sent an email stating the Tracking number and days it would take to reach me. It was shipped by Thailand Post and took 14 days. Pretty fast and better than shipments that I get from AliExpress.

Coming to the installation:

The item that is sent is ONLY the glass that is fixed in the plastic cover (Glass Holder) which sits in the ORVM housing. I used my original ORVM plastic cover and kept aside the OEM transparent glass for later use.

Items required

OEM plastic cover - Glass holder (Black)

Glass holder.JPG

Anti-glare tint glass

5. What I got.JPG

Lets move onto the procedure for completing the installation...

Thread Starter #6
The steps for installation:

Step – 1: Using a flat-head screw driver, pull the ORVM glass out of the mounts from the mirror assembly*. The glass holder is what is removed from ORVM unit.

Step – 2: Blow hot air using the hot air gun over the glass holder (plastic) so that it is easy to bend the cover to free the glass from the plastic holder**.

Step – 3: Carefully push the plastic cover over from the glass to free it. The process is the same as used when a new tyre is required to be put on a wheel.

Step – 4: Once the OEM glass is free, blow hot air over the plastic cover again and fix the new anti-glare glass in its place.

Step – 5: After the glass is changed, fix it to the ORVM mounts carefully.

Step – 6: Test both the ORVM's for the electrical adjustments so as to ensure if they have seated fully-in or not. We are done and good to go!!

*NOTE: Exercise caution to be gentle or else the mounting pins will be damaged making the install useless (MASS will quote for a full ORVM replacement if it does happen).

**NOTE: Exercise caution as it is direct glass that is being pulled out. Wear gloves so that there no cuts / bleeding later on. The glass has sharp edges!

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

I’ll let the pictures do the talking so that things are understood easier:

What the suppliers @ AliExpress had

2. Type suppliers had.jpg

What type I was searching for

3. What I was searching for.jpg

Choices that I was offered

4. Choices I was offered.jpg

OEM ORVM - Part Numbers

8. OEM Part Number.jpg

ORVM Unit with the glass removed

9. ORVM with glass removed.jpg

Glass Comparison - (Left: Anti glare glass and Right: OEM Glass)

DSC_0297.JPG

DSC_0301-tile.jpg

LHS & RHS ORVM's changed to Anti glare glass

DSC_0306-tile.jpg

Both Side OEM Glass

OEM Mirror.jpg

Anti glare mirror - View at Day time

Anti glare - Morning.jpg

Glare - As seen from OEM Mirror

OEM Mirror - Glare.jpg

Glare Reduction - OEM to Anti-glare

OEM to Anti glare.jpg

Last but not the least, here is the vision that I am seeing every day when I drive at nights.

ORVM + IRVM.jpg

Thanks for reading guys. [:)]

Hope you all would have liked it![:)]

Great write-up Anurag. This thread was really informative!

Even I miss these 2 features on my Swift as night driving becomes a pain with high-beam drivers shooting their lights at our face (indirectly). You got a perfect solution now at reasonable cost.

Share more of your informative articles here also for readers' benefit.

Hello Anurag.
I have read all your DIYs (I guess latest is armrest for Swift) and have planned to do the same on a Swift ZDi but unluckily we had to part with the car. A very informative DIY thread and the step by step guide is simply faultless. Thanks for sharing.

I am now planning the same for my Polo (Ordered the Armrest for now) including hardwiring the dash cam, GTi spec armrest, dimmed mirrors auto dimming IRVM etc.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Anuraag, Akash here! Hope you are enjoying being a part of this illustrative forum. This thread is simply very detailed and well illustrated. It certainly helps in removing the glare at night from the following traffic. Any idea of how much would such setup cost for Honda CITY? I am mainly asking for ORVM. Great to have you with us and also share your other wonderful DIY's and detailed car comparisons.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Any idea of how much would such setup cost for Honda CITY? I am mainly asking for ORVM.
Thank you buddy for the appreciation.

Costs for the ORVM should be in the similar prove bracket for the City too.

One downside of this setup - Would be difficult to revert to regular ORVM and IRVM in another when changed. This is an addiction and a stress free experience.

There is one thing that we all drivers/riders hate during our daily drives especially at the night time is the cars/bikes/trucks/buses (especially Volvo 9400) tailgating with their headlights on High Beam. To tackle this issue, there is Day/Night mirror (Manual) in my car. This solved my problem by 50% but the rest 50% was still in question and how does one go about the ORVM change as it least done by many.

I decided of replacing both the mirrors in my car too. I was then scouting and finding ways to get the anti-glare setup for the ORVM too so that the combination is fulfilled making the drive easier on my eyes.

In this DIY, I'll be putting down the procedure for installation of the Anti-Glare setup of both:

1. The Inside Rear View Mirror and
  2. The Outside Rear View Mirror.
nice diy anurag , i did the same recently to my swift vdi ,but the mirror was a oem one from a toyota avensis from uk, rest all same what you have done

Top Bottom