DIY: Add AUX To Old Pioneer Music Players

Thread Starter #1
To cut short the story short, my friend is using a decade old Pioneer Cassette player in his Santro and badly needed USB / AUX support. He tried a couple of FM transmitters and not satisfied with their performance. On a lazy afternoon we were discussing about the DIY Figo USB cable project and the conversation went like this,
He: is it possible to add USB in his head unit?
Me: Why not? Possible.
He: Really?[surprise]
Me: Yes, it is possible to add, but it won't play any songs[lol]
He: [disappointed]
Me: What model is it?
He: Pioneer
Me: Boss, pioneer is make. What model is it?
He: I don't know
Me: Ok. lets check for the old Cassette player images in Google and you figure out the model
He: Ok

Finally we figured out the model number. Its KEH-P 4020/4025. Did some Google search to find if it had the IP BUS connector and how to enable the "AUX" function.

Why DIY?
Pioneer IP BUS Cables / connectors are readily available in eBay. It is as costlier as 1.6k INR in eBay.in and as cheaper as 4 USD in eBay.com We might have gone for the cheaper solution, but what is so fun than a DIY project?

How to Check / enable the AUX function?
- Put the HU in sleep mode (off mode)
- Press & Hold the 'Audio' button (this button varies with HU. Most common is "SRC/Source" button
- Toggle between the menus (by pressing the same button) and you could find "AUX OFF"
- Press the Arrow keys (UP / LEFT) to enable the AUX
- It will display as "AUX ON"
Note:
If you couldn't find the 'AUX' option with the above procedure, sorry guys your bad luck.

How to Remove the HU?
This is tricky to explain here, as it varies across OEs / models. If you are not sure about the know how of it, better to leave it in the hands of experts. Take the car to nearest car accessories shop and they should take out your HU within few minutes. I had previous experience in removing / installing HUs in Santro. It took hardly a couple of minutes to take out the player.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

This blue connector will be left unused and WE WILL USE IT NOW.
4.JPG

Making the Cable & Connectors
Parts required
1) 3.5mm Stereo extension cable - 1m (with male & female end on either side)
5.JPG

2) Precision IC socket
6.jpg

7.jpg
Source: pioneer ip-bus connector

3) Sleeves (Regular / heat shrinkable)
4) Equipments - Wire cutter & Soldering station

Procedure
- Cut the 'Male' end of cable
8.jpg

- Solder the IC sockets to each wire inside
9.jpg
Note: Some (most) cables come with only 3 wires (LH,RH,GND) but for this project we need 4 wires (LH, LH GND, RH, RH GND)

- Use sleeves to cover the soldered portion
10.jpg

- This is the pin configuration of IP BUS connector
11.jpg

- Connect the sockets against each pin as shown above
12.JPG

That's it. You are done with the project. Put back the HU on it's place, switch on the player, connect an audio source (through AUX cable) and enjoy the music [:)]
13.JPG

Thread Starter #4
Awesome DIY. Good Job. Where did you place the female end of the aux cable?
Thanks dude. Female AUX end is placed near the cup holder. Looking for a suitable place to secure it, let me update the snap once it is done.

Why we need to cut the male end of the cable here[confused]. If you use a 2 mtr cable and cut the female end instead you can use this setup directly with your phone
without any need of 'male to male AUX extension cable!.

Last edited:
@Mr.Boss, in a car audio forum I read the wrong combination of GND in the IP-bus cable will result in a quieter output.
In the pinout diagram shown in your post both the terminals 11, 10 are shown as GND.
The combination should be L(7,11) and R(9,10) and NOT L(7,10) and R(9,11).
Attaching the pinout diagram here.

Pioneer_IP-Bus_Pin-out_zps1b5b7246.jpg
Source: Gutterslide.com

As always a very useful and practical DIY from your end[clap], giving it a well deserved 5-star rating.

^it would be inconvenient if someone from back seat needs to operate the phone while listening music
Come on!, how many people here are using aux cable longer than 1 mtr?. Standard USB cables that comes with iPod/ phones also can't reach the rear passenger!.
In the above post the IP bus prefab cable from ebay is also shown as having a male connector [roll].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Why we need to cut the male end of the cable here[confused].
That's the requirement of Car owner / my friend / colleague[roll] I explained using a female end and another Aux cable (male-male) doesn't sound practical or cost effective, but he wanted the female end to be secured somewhere in the dashboard and use the AUX cable only when it is required (for daily drive to office he use only FM. Aux will be used only during weekend drives)
@Mr.Boss, in a car audio forum I read the wrong combination of GND in the IP-bus cable will result in a quieter output.
I came across the same pin configuration before starting the project and to verify it I checked with wrong GND lines. I couldn't make out any difference in output. But to be on safer hands, I used 7,11 & 9,10 configuration. I thought I should add this pin diagram, but my poor mind forgot it (as usual) Thanks for adding it.
As always a very useful and practical DIY from your end[clap], giving it a well deserved 5-star rating.
Thanks buddy.

To cut short the story short, my friend is using a decade old Pioneer Cassette player in his Santro and badly needed USB / AUX support. He tried a couple of FM transmitters and not satisfied with their performance. On a lazy afternoon we were discussing about the DIY Figo USB cable project and the conversation went like this,
He: is it possible to add USB in his head unit?
Me: Why not? Possible.
He: Really?[surprise]
Me: Yes, it is possible to add, but it won't play any songs[lol]
He: [disappointed]
Me: What model is it?
He: Pioneer
Me: Boss, pioneer is make. What model is it?
He: I don't know
Me: Ok. lets check for the old Cassette player images in Google and you figure out the model
He: Ok

Finally we figured out the model number. Its KEH-P 4020/4025. Did some Google search to find if it had the IP BUS connector and how to enable the "AUX" function.

Why DIY?
Pioneer IP BUS Cables / connectors are readily available in eBay. It is as costlier as 1.6k INR in eBay.in and as cheaper as 4 USD in eBay.com We might have gone for the cheaper solution, but what is so fun than a DIY project?

How to Check / enable the AUX function?
- Put the HU in sleep mode (off mode)
- Press & Hold the 'Audio' button (this button varies with HU. Most common is "SRC/Source" button
- Toggle between the menus (by pressing the same button) and you could find "AUX OFF"
- Press the Arrow keys (UP / LEFT) to enable the AUX
- It will display as "AUX ON"
Note:
If you couldn't find the 'AUX' option with the above procedure, sorry guys your bad luck.

How to Remove the HU?
This is tricky to explain here, as it varies across OEs / models. If you are not sure about the know how of it, better to leave it in the hands of experts. Take the car to nearest car accessories shop and they should take out your HU within few minutes. I had previous experience in removing / installing HUs in Santro. It took hardly a couple of minutes to take out the player.

View attachment 160423

View attachment 160424

View attachment 160425

This blue connector will be left unused and WE WILL USE IT NOW.
View attachment 160426

Making the Cable & Connectors
Parts required

1) 3.5mm Stereo extension cable - 1m (with male & female end on either side)
View attachment 160427

2) Precision IC socket
View attachment 160428

View attachment 160429
Source: pioneer ip-bus connector

3) Sleeves (Regular / heat shrinkable)
4) Equipments - Wire cutter & Soldering station

Procedure
- Cut the 'Male' end of cable
View attachment 160430

- Solder the IC sockets to each wire inside
View attachment 160431
Note: Some (most) cables come with only 3 wires (LH,RH,GND) but for this project we need 4 wires (LH, LH GND, RH, RH GND)

- Use sleeves to cover the soldered portion
View attachment 160432

- This is the pin configuration of IP BUS connector
View attachment 160433

- Connect the sockets against each pin as shown above
View attachment 160434

That's it. You are done with the project. Put back the HU on it's place, switch on the player, connect an audio source (through AUX cable) and enjoy the music [:)]
View attachment 160435

Thanks a lot, i have a AVH-3300BT, AUX is on but no sound received it, the IP-BUS is ok, i check it, can someone knows is this device is diferent o requiere aditional wire for sound using the ip bus cable.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks a lot, i have a AVH-3300BT, AUX is on but no sound received it, the IP-BUS is ok, i check it, can someone knows is this device is diferent o requiere aditional wire for sound using the ip bus cable.
This model should have 3.5mm aux port, why should you go for IP-BUS cable?

Top Bottom